What would you like from ADUK?

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby Darren » Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:49 pm

Peeps.

I just wanted to say thanks for all the contributions here and your support. I also wanted to give you an update of where we are, and whats going on. Also to get some feedback on what our members would like from ADUK.

The site recieves just over 100k visitors a month, with healthy growth stats. We've had 3 server upgrades (at over 6GB of bandwidth, thats quite a bit), take more traffic than both the IAM and RoADA websites put together and Number 1's in MSN and other search engines, with Page 1 in Google. So that gives you an idea of the size we've got to in a very short space of time.

Emails are coming in for information faster than I can deal with them. In terms of informing people about Advanced Driving, I think the site is doing what I wanted it to. I wish I could hire someone to help with the admin !

I've managed to use that information above and traffic stats to get a deal in car insurance for registered members and the list of potential member benefits is growing by the day as well as the 3 pages of A4 of priority list for the site for what we want to do and what it does for Advanced Driving as a whole.

We've got groups of people doing "Drive Day's" all over the place, giving people a taster of what Advanced Driving is about, and have rapidly gained the support of purists and enthusiasts in Advanced Driving and given ideas on the way to go about promoting it.

I believe it gets better from here and really want to thank everyone for their support so far.

What I would like to know from you is, as users of this site, what do "you" want out of it? I get PM's from lots of people with ideas, and even though I might not have the time to do them (I work full time as well you know ! :-)) I still add them to the list and work with the site moderators and regular users to what helps in terms of promoting advanced driving, and supporting our members.

So, whats your thoughts?
Last edited by Darren on Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darren

Postby 7db » Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:36 pm

It's a great site. Darren, thanks for all your efforts.

I think the focus (but not exclusive) on bringing younger people into advanced driving is excellent and differentiates the site from others.
7db

Postby MikeG » Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:04 pm

Agreed. To get where it is in such a short time (after it was sabotaged) and according to the stats ADUK-282 reg.users as opposed to T/A 2000+ an amazing achievement. Thanks Darren.

Mike
At the end of the day even when you have tried to plan for every eventuality the unexpected can happen.
MikeG

Postby rlmr » Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:02 am

Well done Darren... suffice it to say your site is one of the very few I subscribe to and view on a daily basis :) .

I would like to see a few more contributors completing sections of their "profile" to assist in replying to their posts. Little point in giving an explanation about motorcycling in the highlands to a post emanating from a trucker from central London :wink:

Regards

Rennie
rlmr

Postby Lady Godiva » Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:11 pm

Dear Darren - I just wanted to say thank you for all the hard work you put into the site.

You get on with the job without moaning, try and satisfy everyone, work unpaid, and are probably under valued.

Are you sure you're not a woman :wink:

Keep up the good work. I really like the site as it is, and I'm learning lots.

Regards
Sally
Lady Godiva

Postby waremark » Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:44 pm

Darren, what you have already managed is a really great achievement.

I think there are two great objectives

Encouragement to as many people as possible to care more about their driving, and

genuinely lower insurance costs for those who do care.

Sorry, but I cannot be any more specific on how to go about it!
waremark

Postby Prelude » Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:48 am

:) I echo the feelings /sentiments of others on here. If it ain't broke.....etc. A very good site indeed and well presented/formatted. I was wondering about perhaps a photo gallery of some sort whereby members could have a place to display their own ADUK related pics/photos regarding all things 1/2/3/4/5/6 wheels and our apt or NOT so apt environments!! :)

Good work, Darren.
Prelude

Postby Prelude » Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:58 am

Hell Fire, I really MUST get a more trendy avatar which suits my name on here!! lol. Tomorrow I see myself Googling something more a little sophisticated! That's if apathy does not set in and my new 'look' is not declined again..... like previous attempts! Anyone got any ideas for me?? Even some amber flashing lights would be a step forward, but so often 'computer says "no" ' :evil:
Prelude

Postby Slink_Pink » Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:04 am

Excellent site, as per all the lovely comments preceding this.

My suggestion: how about some links to the highway code site and to the various road traffic acts/related legal stuff? Many of the most experienced here quote chaper and verse from them on specific points, but I'd like the chance to read around some of the points covered. I'm sure I could just google them, but I do think that it would be a good set of links for the site to add.

My other suggestion: How about some downloadable, A4 sized site 'posters' in promotion of the site/IAM/ROADA? I am fortunate enough to have an employer who will contribute some money each year to it's employees for 'self improving' activitites, of which advanced driving is an acceptable one (it's covered my IAM costs). Since I was the youngest person at my first IAM meeting by a decade or so, I am planning a shameless advertising scheme on the notice boards for advanced driving (possibly a slight emphasis on IAM due to nice cost). If you produce some material, possibly in conjunction with IAM/ROADA then I'll stick it everywhere the sun shines (and some places it doesn't!).

Regards,

Slink Pink
Slink_Pink

Postby crr003 » Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:57 am

Slink_Pink wrote:My suggestion: how about some links to the highway code site ......

Here you go:

http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/

Personally, I have a proper book on my desk for ready reference, but I'm a bit sad.... :oops: It's only £1.49
crr003

Postby TripleS » Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:25 am

crr003 wrote:.... I'm a bit sad....

Not quite in context I know, but:

Oh, sorry to hear that.

Why not fix up a nice driving day in Cheshire or thereabouts, and I'm sure a few folk will nip over and cheer you up. Count me in if you like, but avoid 9 September, which is supposed to be The Chris and Nigel Show. HTH.

Any excuse for meeting up, a pleasant tootle, spot of lunch in a nice village pub etc. works with me.

Best wishes all,
Dave. :)
TripleS

Postby crr003 » Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:12 am

TripleS wrote:
crr003 wrote:.... I'm a bit sad....

Not quite in context I know, but:

Oh, sorry to hear that.

Thanks for that! I'm getting over it :wink: Having a play @ Bruntingthorpe this week which will sort me out!

Why not fix up a nice driving day in Cheshire or thereabouts, and I'm sure a few folk will nip over and cheer you up. Count me in if you like, but avoid 9 September, which is supposed to be The Chris and Nigel Show. HTH.

I'll try it again - bit busy at the moment though.
crr003

Postby Slink_Pink » Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:19 pm

crr003 wrote:
Slink_Pink wrote:My suggestion: how about some links to the highway code site ......

Here you go:

http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/

Personally, I have a proper book on my desk for ready reference, but I'm a bit sad.... :oops: It's only £1.49

OK, so we could all find that one ourselves! However, I still think the links would be good. I also have at least one paper copy (I'm tempted to keep another in the car for quick reference though!). Related to the highway code - isn't it due for an update?
Slink_Pink

Postby crr003 » Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:42 am

Slink_Pink wrote:OK, so we could all find that one ourselves!

Well you asked!
Related to the highway code - isn't it due for an update?

Yes. Several organisations and maybe more individuals have offered comments on the next edition:
http://www.dsa.gov.uk/content.asp?id=13014
crr003

Postby manilva15b » Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:46 pm

OK, so the UK is good and has the (low) road traffic deaths to back it up with.

What about those of us who live in the (road safety equivalent) of the third world?

I've tried every Spanish language google search I know, and so far there is NO EQUIVALENT TO THE IAM IN SPAIN. There are a couple of private companies out there (I have every confidence they would simply fleece me) but no public, citizen-led organisations.

I took a lot of extra driver training whilst in the UK, and use it to good effect in my current job. But how can I maintain, let alone improve these skills when there's nobody here to teach?
manilva15b

Return to General Car Chat Forum