New HGV braking system

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby Carbon Based » Sat May 23, 2015 7:38 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-32845386

Does anyone know any more about this? Is it an evolution of ABS or is there more to it?

The linked video is a bit short of details.
Carbon Based

Postby jont » Sat May 23, 2015 8:16 am

StressedDave wrote:The big problem up to now has been that the pneumatic valves worked at a 1 second cycle speed, so for large portions of their operation, the system wasn't applying much braking at all.

:shock: I'm still getting my head around how slow mechanical systems are compared to the control electronics :lol: "Real-time" takes on a whole new meaning.
jont

Postby revian » Sun May 24, 2015 5:52 pm

StressedDave wrote:It just gives you plenty of clock cycles to do useful things in! I think the fastest things I've ever worked with are Moog valves which have a usable bandwidth of about 60 cycles per second.

Moog! Retro technology? Good luck with that one...

Wirral
revian

Postby Carbon Based » Mon May 25, 2015 9:37 am

Cheers for the info and trivia to go with it!
Carbon Based

Postby Silk » Mon May 25, 2015 5:16 pm

StressedDave wrote:Same family, different branch. Bill, who invented the cool valve, was a cousin of Robert.

There's a Moog factory just off J9 of the M5. I've always imagined the place to be some kind of museum of prog rock.
Silk

Postby revian » Mon May 25, 2015 7:11 pm

StressedDave wrote:Same family, different branch. Bill, who invented the cool valve, was a cousin of Robert...

Anyway, the valves I'm talking about are these.

Cheers Dave... Some interesting and new-to-me reading to look at. Did smile that it included 'trumpet control'... Not so far away from the other Moog then..

Ian
Wirral
revian

Postby TripleS » Tue May 26, 2015 4:59 pm

revian wrote:
StressedDave wrote:Same family, different branch. Bill, who invented the cool valve, was a cousin of Robert...

Cheers Dave... Some interesting and new-to-me reading to look at. Did smile that it included 'trumpet control'... Not so far away from the other Moog then..

Ian

What I need is something to control my tendency to play the bass trombone at inopportune moments: it can be most embarrassing. :shock:
TripleS

Postby akirk » Tue May 26, 2015 5:04 pm

TripleS wrote:
revian wrote:

Ian

What I need is something to control my tendency to play the bass trombone at inopportune moments: it can be most embarrassing. :shock:

embrace it - be free - shake that slide

Alasdair

(tuba player - with the odd trombone & trumpet lurking in corners)
akirk

Postby petes » Sun May 31, 2015 11:40 am

Does this mean lorry drivers can now drive even closer to the back of other vehicles with a complacent sense of safety?
petes

Return to General Car Chat Forum