Let the games begin ....

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Thu May 28, 2015 7:54 pm

mefoster wrote:I don't know about others but I have noticed a change in your outlook (as reflected in your posts) since passing your test and driving alone. Your self-belief has gone way up and you speak much more authoritatively than previously. It's nothing specific that I can put a finger on rather an overall change in feel to your posts.

This, of course, is to be expected. While you are certainly not typical of a young male driver, that is exactly what you are and I offer it merely as a caution. To quote Han Solo: "Great, Kid. Don't get cocky."

If that is the case, then I do apologise. I don't intend to write as if I'm the world's expert on driving, so if I'm coming across as being a bit more "I am right and you are wrong" then I'm awfully sorry. I really do not wish to become yet another argumentative teenager who thinks I'm better.

mefoster wrote:
TheInsanity1234 wrote:(I wish to add your post came across as being very condensing. I would hope you didn't intend to come across like that.)

It comes across as it comes across. It is a simple statement of fact and people will read it with their own filters. I have no desire to be condensing [sic] or condescending but it would be deeply disappointing to see you become overconfident so quickly.

Just my £0.02. YMMV. Other opinions are available.

I've just reread what I said to point out the possible tone, and it sounds awfully stuck up.
I've extracted my head from my posterior, and I apologise if I've come across as being a bit of a brat. I only meant to question how it came across, I didn't mean for it to come across as being "how rude of you to speak to me like that" (because I fully understand if you intended to come across like that).

The one thing I really wish to avoid is being overconfident, as, having lived in Essex, I've seen far too many instances of young teenagers thinking they're better than they actually are at driving.

TripleS wrote:I agree with what you say, Mark.

Before the test, I was very impressed with Mr 1234's attitude and maturity. It would be a shame if some of that were to be lost in this post test period. Acquiring good solid experience, and the reliablity that should follow from it, takes a long time. It is still very early days.

....and that's not meant to be condensing either, so I hope nobody will get steamed up about it. :wink:

As I've said above, I never intended to come across as being more knowledgeable.
Also, see above regarding head removal from down under :mrgreen:

fungus wrote:I'm not getting Steamed up about it Dave.

Insanity, please do not take this the wrong way. No one is intending to be condescending, and as you rightly say they have many more years, and if I may add, thousands of miles road experience over you. That's not your fault, but as Mark and Dave have observed, your posts have come over as more authoritive recently. This will be the result of your growing confidence.

You are at a particularly vulnerable period in your driving career, where your percieved abilities are higher than your actual abilities. This is not uncommon, and although you have shown an attitude more mature than your years, you need to guard against overconfidence. I'm sure that you've had a couple of wake up calls by now, and as your post suggests you are starting to learn from them.

A problem that has been recognised with young drivers, and young people in general, is that the Cerebal Cortex, the part of the brain that deals with reasoning, may not become fully developed until the age of 25years. This would account for the poor reasoning shown by many young people.

If an ADUK driving day comes up near you, go along, if only to sit in as an observer. I'm sure that the more experienced ADUKers would give a commentary explaining the reasons for their actions.

Any how, as I said, don't take offence. others are only trying to help you. And keep up the learning.

Fully understand. I most definitely do need the occasional slap to bring me back to the ground :mrgreen:

Horse wrote:
fungus wrote: I'm sure that the more experienced ADUKers would give a commentary explaining the reasons for their actions.

That may not be so simple.

In case you have missed it earlier, I'm actually profoundly deaf, so require eye-contact in order to lipread what people say.

I'd be more comfortable observing the actions, and jotting down questions that pop to mind, than to have drivers talking to me whilst driving... :mrgreen:

To everybody, thanks for pointing out my attitude. No offence was taken, though it seems that way :oops:

I am a young teenage male, I need the occasional reminder I'm still... Inexperienced, to put it nicely :P
TheInsanity1234

Postby trashbat » Fri May 29, 2015 12:14 am

Personally I think you seem to have a very sensible & mature outlook, and perhaps we've got a bit far into navel gazing & a sort of textual CSI. Sunglasses back on, everyone!

It doesn't hurt any of us to sanity check (no pun intended) our own attitudes once in a while - GDE, innit - but there's no use in turning it into something personal.
Rob - IAM F1RST, Alfa Romeo 156 JTS
trashbat

Postby martine » Fri May 29, 2015 9:37 am

Insanity: I look forward to meeting you on an ADUK driving day sometime...soon hopefully. I know you would enjoy it and you'll get to meet plenty of drivers with all levels of experience and abilities - great opportunity for free driver development.

I'll leave it to you to place your own position on the following graph...

Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby akirk » Fri May 29, 2015 11:53 am

good graph Martin, the most frustrating people though are those with the gold line below the blue line and no self-confidence - they are so difficult to teach... easier to find ways of showing the optimist that reality is different than to build confidence...

Alasdair
akirk

Postby martine » Fri May 29, 2015 12:31 pm

akirk wrote:...the most frustrating people though are those with the gold line below the blue line and no self-confidence - they are so difficult to teach... easier to find ways of showing the optimist that reality is different than to build confidence...

I'd prefer to be driving with someone who is a little timid than a cocky so-and-so though.

It's a bit like one of my mantras..."a driver with the right attitude but poor technical skills is probably safer than someone who has Lewis Hamilton car control but whose attitude stinks".
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby Horse » Fri May 29, 2015 2:23 pm

martine wrote: It's a bit like one of my mantras..."a driver with the right attitude but poor technical skills is probably safer than someone who has Lewis Hamilton car control but whose attitude stinks".

Not quite the way I'd phrase it, but. . . . yes.

I was asked, years ago, whether a 'good' rider is a 'safe' rider. 'Safe' is, really, about keeping within limits of the road, vehicle and yourself. Great machine control is more likely to be useful for getting out of trouble, rather than preventing you getting into it in the first place.
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby akirk » Fri May 29, 2015 9:05 pm

martine wrote:
akirk wrote:...the most frustrating people though are those with the gold line below the blue line and no self-confidence - they are so difficult to teach... easier to find ways of showing the optimist that reality is different than to build confidence...

I'd prefer to be driving with someone who is a little timid than a cocky so-and-so though.

It's a bit like one of my mantras..."a driver with the right attitude but poor technical skills is probably safer than someone who has Lewis Hamilton car control but whose attitude stinks".

Agree - would rather be with them in a car - just harder from a teahing point of view to build confidence

Alasdair
akirk

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Sat May 30, 2015 8:43 pm

I reckon I'm just about to reach the peak of the yellow line :mrgreen:
TheInsanity1234

Postby Silk » Sat May 30, 2015 10:50 pm

TheInsanity1234 wrote:I reckon I'm just about to reach the peak of the yellow line :mrgreen:

Then you'll know what it's like to know as much as I do. ;-)
Silk

Previous

Return to General Car Chat Forum