Relationship between speed and safety

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby fungus » Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:05 pm

As a total technophobe, it's a no from me.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby revian » Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:25 pm

I've been a technophile since birth.... Well just a few years after that.... So no Luddite,

And I 'use' FB...

But my penny's worth is that this forum and FB are different. FB is, shall we say, infinitely trivial and as much use as Twttter... Which IMHO reduces thinking and ideas to tatters.

So, as a small contributor, I'd say 'no'...

I'd probably have said 'no' as a reaction to 'its part of the modern world'. That's not an argument for anything. 'Modern' is not an alternative word for 'Good'. But I've held back on that bit :roll:

Maybe a totally separate venture if that's what's wanted by whomever. This is the only Forum I look at in any regular way.

Ian
Wirral
revian

Postby petes » Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:22 am

Kimosabe wrote:
petes wrote:
mefoster wrote:OK. That still doesn't give anyone the automatic right to re-post into a different medium. Just because you can...

I wonder what Darren has to say about it?

You will note my previous statement: "I'd post headline discussion points and invite people to join in the debate here." I'm not interested in duplicating content.

Darren owns this site. He doesn't control the Internet. If someone wants to create a Facebook page about Advanced Driving and make reference to this or any other website, their quite entitled to

Hi Pete,
You don't know me but if you want to discuss anything with me or post anything pertaining to me elsewhere, you will first have to give me your :
- IP address
- Home address
- where you work
- where you go
- who you go there with
- schools you've attended
- names and addresses of friends and relatives
- your date of birth
- your full name
- mobile phone number
- driving license number
- place of birth
- Mother's maiden name
- the names and same details as above of everyone you know and everyone they know
- everything you have almost posted but deleted including photos (facebook policy, not mine)
- everything you are interested in, so that I can get companies you've probably never heard of to suggest other things you might be interested in, after i've sold them your data.
- I also need to see any dashcam recordings you've made (not copies), just to make sure that you aren't a dangerous driver who routinely breaks the law. If you are, I will share that with the Police and report you for the offences.
- you're going to need a password and login name, so please give me some secret info incase you forget them.

That'll be a start. Don't worry, you can partially opt out of who i'll share some of this data with but I still need to know it, because i'm someone you've never met, who works in an undisclosed location and without knowing this information about you, I won't be able to discuss anything with you or allow you to discuss anything with anyone else about me, without my explicit permission. I'm sure you understand that there is a genuine need for this information and with the right abilities, anyone could get it anyway, so why not just hand it over? Or look at it another way, you've already given permission for Facebook, NSA and GCHQ to know and share most of this about you anyway, unless you're a luddite but i'm sure you aren't. I'll keep your data safe on my PC.

Also, i'm sorry but I am one of those "luddites" who refuses to be harangued into willingly handing over this sort of information about myself to facebook et al, so i'm stating in writing that I do not give you permission to share anything about me without my express permission. I'm sure you'll understand and comply.

Ps: do you have a TV license registered at your address?

Yes, that's what happens when you use social networking sites. Mark Zuckerburg then manually reads through it all to see what malicious harm he can do.

Course he doesn't. Lighten up!
petes

Postby TripleS » Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:54 am

petes wrote:Lighten up!

Hmm, I must remember that.

On the other hand I'm a bit wary of getting involved with the likes of Facebook etc. At the very least it would be something else for me to get hooked on and then I'd get nothing useful done.

Right, that's it, I'm off. Have a good day folks.
TripleS

Postby Kimosabe » Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:59 am

petes wrote:Yes, that's what happens when you use social networking sites. Mark Zuckerburg then manually reads through it all to see what malicious harm he can do.

.....because Facebook is essentially Mark Zuckerberg sitting at his desk with a laptop and that Facebook is now worth around US$40,000,000,000 is sheer coincidence and nothing to do with data mining? :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't get why you won't post the answers to those questions on this forum but that you willingly handed them over to Facebook.

Petes, you're already finding it very difficult to move beyond this point, so perhaps drop the idea (which has already been dropped before) and discuss Advanced Driving with other members. I get that you want to bring something to ADUK and that is fine but it's very clear that a FB page isn't wanted by members of this forum. Until Darren gives this the green light, you're wasting your time and if he does, this forum will lose some of it's members. I'd say that was a very bad thing for this forum, wouldn't you?
A wise man once told me that "it depends". I sometimes agree.
Kimosabe

Postby petes » Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:56 pm

Kimosabe wrote:
petes wrote:Yes, that's what happens when you use social networking sites. Mark Zuckerburg then manually reads through it all to see what malicious harm he can do.

.....because Facebook is essentially Mark Zuckerberg sitting at his desk with a laptop and that Facebook is now worth around US$40,000,000,000 is sheer coincidence and nothing to do with data mining? :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't get why you won't post the answers to those questions on this forum but that you willingly handed them over to Facebook.

Petes, you're already finding it very difficult to move beyond this point, so perhaps drop the idea (which has already been dropped before) and discuss Advanced Driving with other members. I get that you want to bring something to ADUK and that is fine but it's very clear that a FB page isn't wanted by members of this forum. Until Darren gives this the green light, you're wasting your time and if he does, this forum will lose some of it's members. I'd say that was a very bad thing for this forum, wouldn't you?

The fairly big difference is, you're suggesting publishing personal details on a public website. By signing up to Facebook or anything similar, you are not making the same information public. Neither are you required to provide a fraction of the details you list in your ridiculous post!

Just to be clear, I do not need, and will not be seeking permission from Darren to set up an Advanced Driving Facebook page!!
petes

Postby Gareth » Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:53 am

petes wrote:[...] to set up an Advanced Driving Facebook page!!

Have you tried to find out how much success the former ADUK member richie349 had in setting up a Facebook page related to advanced driving?
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby Kimosabe » Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:17 pm

petes wrote:
Kimosabe wrote:

The fairly big difference is, you're suggesting publishing personal details on a public website. By signing up to Facebook or anything similar, you are not making the same information public. Neither are you required to provide a fraction of the details you list in your ridiculous post!

Just to be clear, I do not need, and will not be seeking permission from Darren to set up an Advanced Driving Facebook page!!

Just to be clear, I won't be responding to you after this post as you evidently don't know what you're talking about and I'm not going to argue with an idiot, for obvious reasons to people who aren't idiots. Here, hold this black ball... the way out is over there :arrow:
A wise man once told me that "it depends". I sometimes agree.
Kimosabe

Postby akirk » Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:38 pm

petes wrote:Just to be clear, I do not need, and will not be seeking permission from Darren to set up an Advanced Driving Facebook page!!

you are right - you don't need his permission to set up an Advanced Driving Facebook page... you would if it was an ADUK page...

however you do need Darren's/our permission individually and/or collectively to put ADUK material, or individual posts onto such a page... and you equally clearly don't have that permission...

you seem to have inadvertantly/deliberately decided to upset some of the most advanced drivers in the UK on this forum - perhaps not the best start to whatever you plan...

Alasdair
akirk

Postby petes » Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:53 pm

akirk wrote:
petes wrote:Just to be clear, I do not need, and will not be seeking permission from Darren to set up an Advanced Driving Facebook page!!

you are right - you don't need his permission to set up an Advanced Driving Facebook page... you would if it was an ADUK page...

Alasdair

Actually, I don't. ADUK is not a registered company or trademark and there are no copyright restrictions associated to it. Even the domain name is registered to a non-trading individual!

If a page is about Advanced Driving, and is in the UK, there's no reason why it can't be called Advanced Driving UK, or be abbreviated to ADUK. Same goes for any of its content.

Not saying I will copy the name or its content, just that I wouldn't need Darren's permission if I wanted to.
petes

Postby akirk » Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:14 pm

petes wrote:
akirk wrote:

Alasdair

Actually, I don't. ADUK is not a registered company or trademark and there are no copyright restrictions associated to it. Even the domain name is registered to a non-trading individual!

If a page is about Advanced Driving, and is in the UK, there's no reason why it can't be called Advanced Driving UK, or be abbreviated to ADUK. Same goes for any of its content.

Not saying I will copy the name or its content, just that I wouldn't need Darren's permission if I wanted to.

you seem to have very little understanding of the law in this area :D ADUK has no need to be a registered company, or a registered trademark, the registrant of the domain is irrelevant... it might still be considered a mark of trade...

ADUK - very likely to be considered a mark of trade / trademark, especially as the test is whether the public when asked recognise it as a mark of trade and as Darren's website / the driving days / the organisation have become known as ADUK - then I wouldn't be surprised if it was recognised as a trademark - it doesn't need to be registered to be a trademark - that is the difference between TM and R - the practical difference is that breach of a registered trademark can be pursued in a more serious way...

As for advanced driving UK - under trademark rules it would simply descriptive and is therefore not counted as a mark of trade etc. so feel free... though you may find that www.facebook.com/advanceddrivinguk is not available ;)

content - you are talking tosh - that comes under copyright law and the default position is that the originator of the content owns it (i.e. I would own this bit I write) and the forum owner would own the rights to publish and as the copyright owner I give that restricted permission to the forum owner - you on the other hand would have no such right, or any other right over content found on this website in the forum or elsewhere...

no idea where you are going with this - but you seem to be either intent on winding people up with no intention of carrying through - in which case perhaps the moderators should deal with simply - or you seriously intend to start up a facebook page on advanced driving having first deliberately antagonised the main forum on the subject - mmm, intelligent?! maybe not!

Alasdair
akirk

Postby revian » Sun Jul 12, 2015 4:57 pm

petes wrote:If a page is about Advanced Driving, and is in the UK, there's no reason why it can't be called Advanced Driving UK, or be abbreviated to ADUK. Same goes for any of its content.

Pete... I'm sorry but I can't see why you are pursuing this and why in this confrontational way. What's to be gained by anyone? I dont have a problem (and it's no business of mine) if you have a FB page about 'Advanced Driving' but in terms of names and content sometimes 'when in a hole - stop digging'?

If you need to rely on (effectively) pirated content or mirrored identity that doesn't say a lot about your idea.

Apologies in the sense that I'm a conflict avoider....unless pressed....

Kind regards non-the less

Ian
Wirral
revian

Postby Silk » Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:33 pm

revian wrote:Pete... I'm sorry but I can't see why you are pursuing this and why in this confrontational way.

Really? I think he's showing remarkable restraint in the circumstances - I'd have told you all to shove your head in a bucket by now. :P I'm not a Facebook fan, but I don't see why the "pack" is being so aggressive. Why don't you all go and do something completely useless, like take a driving test in a Model T Ford or something? :wink:
Last edited by Silk on Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Silk

Postby Silk » Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:42 pm

akirk wrote:you seem to have very little understanding of the law in this area

Perhaps you could provide us with your legal qualifications, otherwise you risk accusations of having even less understanding.
Silk

Postby petes » Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:50 pm

Silk wrote:
revian wrote:Pete... I'm sorry but I can't see why you are pursuing this and why in this confrontational way.

Really? I think he's showing remarkable restraint in the circumstances - I'd have told you all to shove your head in a bucket by now. :P I'm not a Facebook fan, but I don't see why the "pack" are being so aggressive. Why don't you all go and do something completely useless, like take a driving test in a Model T Ford or something? :wink:

Thank you. If I have strayed away from my original point to some extent, it's largely as a result of the unnecessarily negative responses I received from what you fittingly describe as "the pack".

It started off as a constructive suggestion for a site that's clearly struggling, but it seems it's fallen upon deaf ears.
Last edited by petes on Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
petes

PreviousNext

Return to General Car Chat Forum