Victoria Embankment and Lower Thames Street roadworks

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby Ancient » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:59 am

Garrison wrote:
Ancient wrote:Not sure why anyone would want to drive that route - what two and a half miles? Must be quicker ways... :D

TheInsanity1234 wrote:Not sure why anyone would want to try driving in London! :mrgreen:

London is one of the few cities where I would prefer the public transport over a car.

Any good routes south of the river (or through city) if I set off from Oxford Circus area back to the north side of Tower Bridge? I am only a few minutes east from Tower Bridge north side.

Yes, it is only c. 4 miles each way. Unfortunately London public transport is rubbish at odd times.

I am usually in the office at around 0530-0545. The first DLR runs through Limehouse at 0532 and I often had a long wait at Bank due to the 9-min interval on the Central Line, resulting in me only getting into the office at c. 0615-0625, which is a bit late. I refuse to use night bus (takes too long) or the mini-cab (too costly) every morning.

The morning run in for me is 15-20 min. door to door. However, the evening run, leaving at c.1730-1800 has taken over an hour for the last 3 weeks.

http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/36753/Mezzo_D9_Curved_Folding_Bike_2014_FBC9A?gclid=CJnvkpHQ_8UCFYnItAodOm8AEQ
Other makes and suppliers are available :D
Ancient

Postby 04smallmj » Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:02 pm

At least you have another transport option when they finish the roadworks :-). Get yourself a sensible bike https://dutchindublin.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/sean-harrington-on-his-matte-black-dutch-bicycle.jpg and you can cycle the 4 miles instead.
04smallmj

Postby Garrison » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:26 pm

christopherwk wrote:I would aim for Westminster Bridge. To avoid the traffic at the bottom of Regent Street and Piccadilly, you can go down Savile Row (which runs parallel to Regent Street), turn right onto Burlington Gardens, and left onto Old Bond Street, left and right on to Duke Street St. James's.

Don't chance going round Trafalgar Square, but go down Marlborough Road (by the side of St. James's Palace - you may appear you're going backwards, but it's generally quicker), then go up The Mall, and right onto Horse Guards. Left onto Birdcage Walk and onto Westminster Bridge.

From there is a fairly straight run down Borough Rd, Borough High St, and Long Lane, then left onto Tower Bridge Rd. However, you have the problem of St. George's Circus, as they're building another N to S Boris Bike lane, around there, and I think there's a lane or two drop around there. I haven't been down that way for a while, luckily work, tends to keep me to the west of town.

Other than that, the best way to find out is to take a London Taxi and see which way the driver goes.

Thanks Chris, much appreciated. I shall try this route.
Garrison

Postby Garrison » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:26 pm

irf520 wrote:From the Eastern end of Westminster Bridge, you could try the following:

Head towards Waterloo Station (Station Approach Rd)
right at mini rdbt -> Spur Rd
L Baylis Rd
F The Cut
R Short St
L Ufford St
R Blackfriars Rd
L Pocock St
L Sawyer St
R Copperfield St
R Great Guildford St
L Southwark Bridge Rd
R Marshalsea Rd
F Great Dover St
L Long Lane
L Weston St
R Leathermarket St
L Bermondsey St
R Tooley St
L Queen Elizabeth St
L Tower Bridge

I would give the Clerkenwell route another go - that was my first idea. Crossing the river is always a pain in the posterior, so generally avoided if possible. In my experience crossing Tower Bridge is generally painful - especially going North, as you seem to be held at the lights for a long time.
You say you got to Smithfield market, so I'm guessing you must have hit Charterhouse Street either from Holborn Circus or as a left from Farringdon Rd. From there
R Lindsey Street (first right immediately after the market)
L Long Lane
R Aldersgate Street
Fwd at roundabout (Aldersgate Rotunda)
Left into Gresham St
F Lothbury
R Bartholomew Lane (round the Bank of England)
L Threadneedle St
R Gracechurch St
L Fenchurch St
R Rood Lane (just after huge glass building)
L Great Tower St

Thanks too I shall try this route.
Garrison

Postby Garrison » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:32 pm

I thought about that but I couldn't find a Brompton or equivalent fold-up bike to fit in the front boot of a 4WD 996 or my MR2.
Garrison

Postby Garrison » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:33 pm

04smallmj wrote:At least you have another transport option when they finish the roadworks :-). Get yourself a sensible bike https://dutchindublin.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/sean-harrington-on-his-matte-black-dutch-bicycle.jpg and you can cycle the 4 miles instead.

However much I would like to cycle, I doubt I will once autumn/winter/spring comes round. The fact that it is still dark after my daily morning meeting meant I would much rather sit in a car before/after a long day during the dark mornings / evenings coupled with drizzles/wind/cold ...
Garrison

Postby 04smallmj » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:30 pm

Garrison wrote:
04smallmj wrote:At least you have another transport option when they finish the roadworks :-). Get yourself a sensible bike https://dutchindublin.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/sean-harrington-on-his-matte-black-dutch-bicycle.jpg and you can cycle the 4 miles instead.

However much I would like to cycle, I doubt I will once autumn/winter/spring comes round. The fact that it is still dark after my daily morning meeting meant I would much rather sit in a car before/after a long day during the dark mornings / evenings coupled with drizzles/wind/cold ...

Hint https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2hc1Ulwkew and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JQr8cm-6X4 ;-). I keep forgetting that some cars have a "frunk", I can only remember that the Tesla Model S has one. Does the MR2 have a boot of any sort?
04smallmj

Postby gannet » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:05 pm

If you use a bike to get to work why would it needed to fit in the car?

As an all weather cyclist myself, with the right gear there is nothing stopping you ;)
-- Gannet.
Membership Secretary, East Surrey Group of Advanced Motorists
Driving: Citroen DS3 DSport 1.6THP / MINI Cooper Coupe :D
Riding: Airnimal Joey Sport... (helps with the commute into London during the week!)
ImageImage
gannet

Previous

Return to General Car Chat Forum