An answer to a question.

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:47 pm

Silk wrote:
waremark wrote:
TheInsanity1234 wrote:I want to clarify I usually start indicating after checking the offside mirror, and while indicating, I check my blindspot, then the offside mirror again before moving out into the offside lane.

I've found that indicating is generally a useful way of encouraging people behind me to hold back a moment while I move out to overtake, as I've had cases of people moving out and blocking an overtake I was about to take. The other thing it does is inform the overtakee that they're about to be passed, which kind of protects against them making sudden movements

I like your reply about indicating. What I was getting at is that if indicating is to be useful there has to be time for reaction to it before you manoeuvre. Actually, I don't believe that the overtaking target in front of you is at all likely to notice your indicator in his mirror but it may be useful for the person behind, as you say.

I tend to default to not indicating unless I can see a good reason to indicate. In practice, this means I almost never indicate to overtake [on single carriageway roads]. The problem with indicating is you end up committing yourself before you've gone past the absolutely sure it's safe stage. I'm not sure it's a good idea hoping that another road user will respond to your indicator as you wish them too - if you're in that situation, the overtake probably isn't on.

But the thing is, indicating is a very simple thing to cancel, so you're not committing yourself to the manoeuvre at all, are you?
For instance, you can indicate to inform other road users that you intend to overtake, but if something then changes which results in the overtake not being on, you cancel the indicator.

No commitment required to indicate.

Of course, if I was just overtaking a lone car with no other traffic in sight, then indeed, indicating is about as useful as putting a leaf on your head to protect you from the rain.

But if you're behind a car moving at 45 mph in a NSL, with a line of cars behind you, then it would be beneficial to indicate, so you can inform traffic behind you that you intend to overtake.

I would find a car in front of me indicating to overtake very useful if I was considering the overtake myself, because the indicator will change my plan from "possible overtake?" to "wait for this car in front to finish an overtake"

But again, different scenarios require different plans.
TheInsanity1234

Postby akirk » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:59 pm

TheInsanity1234 wrote:Of course, if I was just overtaking a lone car with no other traffic in sight, then indeed, indicating is about as useful as putting a leaf on your head to protect you from the rain.

Let me give you a simple example:
- last week, returning along the country road to home - fast car, sitting behind a gravel lorry (big truck!)
- knew that for much of the road there was no chance to overtake, but 50% of the way back a long clear straight - the only issue, a filter lane to turn right into a gravel quarry...
- the truck was from a company that serviced that quarry, but also the 2 quarries just the other side of my village...

as we approached the straight stretch, I moved slightly offside so that he could see me, indicated right, and waited... i.e. giving him clear indication that I was interested in overtaking - but didn't move too close / start to overtake

he was given every opportunity to see me and my indicating was a very positive statement that I was interested in overtaking...

he saw me - and indicated right himself to show that he was indeed turning into the first quarry - overtaking opportunity gone - but good communication, I pulled back in and waited knowing that he would soon be off the road... as I passed he and I each thanked each other - all happy

in a similar situation a few weeks earlier the equivalent lorry instead indicated left to show that he wasn't turning into the quarry - I pulled out and overtook... again - all happy

indicating is just one communication tool - a brief tap on the horn for awareness (have to be cautious it is not misunderstood) / road positioning / indicators / etc. all help in communication...

I wouldn't dismiss using them...

on the other hand I have had overtaking situations where indeed they would have added little value... in the example above, of course indicating was only one part of the story, road positioning was important as well so that the driver knew I was thinking of overtaking (not indicating to turn right into the quarry!)

Alasdair
akirk

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:17 pm

akirk wrote:
TheInsanity1234 wrote:Of course, if I was just overtaking a lone car with no other traffic in sight, then indeed, indicating is about as useful as putting a leaf on your head to protect you from the rain.

Let me give you a simple example:
- last week, returning along the country road to home - fast car, sitting behind a gravel lorry (big truck!)
- knew that for much of the road there was no chance to overtake, but 50% of the way back a long clear straight - the only issue, a filter lane to turn right into a gravel quarry...
- the truck was from a company that serviced that quarry, but also the 2 quarries just the other side of my village...

as we approached the straight stretch, I moved slightly offside so that he could see me, indicated right, and waited... i.e. giving him clear indication that I was interested in overtaking - but didn't move too close / start to overtake

he was given every opportunity to see me and my indicating was a very positive statement that I was interested in overtaking...

he saw me - and indicated right himself to show that he was indeed turning into the first quarry - overtaking opportunity gone - but good communication, I pulled back in and waited knowing that he would soon be off the road... as I passed he and I each thanked each other - all happy

in a similar situation a few weeks earlier the equivalent lorry instead indicated left to show that he wasn't turning into the quarry - I pulled out and overtook... again - all happy

indicating is just one communication tool - a brief tap on the horn for awareness (have to be cautious it is not misunderstood) / road positioning / indicators / etc. all help in communication...

I wouldn't dismiss using them...

on the other hand I have had overtaking situations where indeed they would have added little value... in the example above, of course indicating was only one part of the story, road positioning was important as well so that the driver knew I was thinking of overtaking (not indicating to turn right into the quarry!)

Alasdair

I was thinking more about where the road is straight, and there are no turnings for a distance.

But of course, indicating is part of communication between road users and that's what helps traffic flow, not driving around completely blinkered to anyone else!
TheInsanity1234

Previous

Return to General Car Chat Forum