Samsung safety trucks

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby IcedKiwi » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:08 am

Interesting new application of current technology. Not sure how useful it would be in the UK where most of the trucks are on multi-lanes and the single carriageways are more twisty. But might help people be more accepting of normal overtakes if they themselves start overtaking trucks :roll:

IcedKiwi

Postby akirk » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:16 am

it is an interesting idea...
but - there appears to be a blind spot down the entire length of the truck if you watch the video - so a car next to the truck doesn't show up on the screen - you could arguably assume a clear road and be surprised!
not sure that I like the idea - it is replacing the need to think / take responsibility for your own decisions with technology where (as above) there could be a flaw... I have never had an issue overtaking a lorry using proper positioning etc. so actually this is a solution to an issue about driver standards that deals with the symptoms, not the root cause - and that is not good...

and have you driven in Argentina?! I grew up there and have been back - the driving hasn't improved in the last 40 years!

Alasdair
akirk

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:38 pm

Sorry, but that's a stupid idea.

The money they've spent presumably incorporating that into their trucks could've been spent on actual driver education to teach people the appropriate positioning for overtakes etc etc.
TheInsanity1234

Postby IcedKiwi » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:38 am

TheInsanity1234 wrote:Sorry, but that's a stupid idea.

The money they've spent presumably incorporating that into their trucks could've been spent on actual driver education to teach people the appropriate positioning for overtakes etc etc.

I guess it's in similar vein to blanket reducing the speed limits to account for the lowest common denominator. As previously discussed on here, the general public are not interesting in driver education because they believe there's nothing wrong with their driving. Things like these are designed to try and help the majority of people.

Plus I would guess that spending ~£1000 on one truck would impact more drivers who end up following the truck compared to the amount of driver training you could deliver for £1000.
IcedKiwi

Postby exportmanuk » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:13 pm

Yes but what if you are following a convoy of these trucks?
A picture of a picture of a picture :shock:
exportmanuk

Postby WhoseGeneration » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:58 pm

Then, with nowadays, so many, in their lives, fixated upon screens in many forms, it's likely to end up with many following, looking at the pretty pictures on the screen.
Always a commentary, spoken or not.
Keeps one safe. One hopes.
WhoseGeneration

Postby revian » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:42 pm

WhoseGeneration wrote:Then, with nowadays, so many, in their lives, fixated upon screens in many forms, it's likely to end up with many following, looking at the pretty pictures on the screen.

...and wondering when East Enders is going to start... How to change the channel...

:wink:

Ian
Wirral
revian

Postby Kimosabe » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:47 pm

WhoseGeneration wrote:Then, with nowadays, so many, in their lives, fixated upon screens in many forms, it's likely to end up with many following, looking at the pretty pictures on the screen.

There's bound to be a bunch of disjointed adverts flashing across the screens at some future point. Why wouldn't they? :roll:
A wise man once told me that "it depends". I sometimes agree.
Kimosabe

Postby WhoseGeneration » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:43 am

Kimosabe wrote:

There's bound to be a bunch of disjointed adverts flashing across the screens at some future point. Why wouldn't they? :roll:

One of the joys of this, still privately owned website, is the lack of advertising and page bottom links to "this might interest you".
Sadly, you're probably correct in your post.
"Follow me to great savings in xxxxx store".
Always a commentary, spoken or not.
Keeps one safe. One hopes.
WhoseGeneration

Postby Kimosabe » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:00 pm

mefoster wrote:How long before someone approaches at night, sees the road ahead is still clear and drives on... right into the back of the truck? A bit like the RoadRunner painting a tunnel on the side of a hill for Wile. E. Coyote. :)

That'll never happen.... probably.... meep-meep...
Kimosabe

Postby Kimosabe » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:12 pm

WhoseGeneration wrote:
Kimosabe wrote:

One of the joys of this, still privately owned website, is the lack of advertising and page bottom links to "this might interest you".
Sadly, you're probably correct in your post.
"Follow me to great savings in xxxxx store".

I wonder what Norbert Dentressangle would advertise on the backs of their lorries? Might have to give Norbert a call with my ideas for this emerging market :lol: (far too much time on my hands)
Kimosabe

Return to General Car Chat Forum