Changing two cars for one that does it all(almost)

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby Kimosabe » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:30 pm

Hi,

It's that time again and I'd like to ask for your opinions, experiences and advice. I'm considering changing cars fairly soon and i'm finding the smorgasboard (yes!) of choices somewhat daunting, so I thought i'd ask for your thoughts about this to see if you could help clear my currently spec-cluttered head. Last time I asked for such advice,which was a couple of years ago on this forum, I followed some sagely advice and bought the MX5, which has been a great car and the most fun i've ever had in a car.

I currently have a Freelander 2 and an MX5 2.0 Sport and i'd like to replace them both with something like:

- Golf GTi (performance pack)
- Skoda VRs
- BMW 330d
- Audi A/S4
- BMW X3/X5
- Audi Q3
- something else with a some go in it, without it being 'a track day car' or too harsh over uneven roads.

It needs to have enough life in it to enjoy on B roads when the need arises and also nice and comfy for general bimbling about in. It needs to have four doors and four seats and to be a car I can grow into and appreciate as my driving improves. Petrol is preferable as I mainly do short journeys, though not essential. Balance, poise, style, 'go', comfort.....oh yes, quiet inside too as that's important to me. I never really used the Freelander's 4x4 capabilities off road but I do enjoy the driving position, as it gives great views over most traffic.

So if you have the time and inclination to jot down some ideas or suggestions here, please do.

Thanks. :D
A wise man once told me that "it depends". I sometimes agree.
Kimosabe

Postby Gareth » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:38 pm

3 or 5 series touring, petrol?
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby Kimosabe » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:44 pm

Gareth wrote:3 or 5 series touring, petrol?

I find the 5 touring a bit big, even though they look graceful cruising up an Mway, so I prefer the 330d touring. I've seen plenty of 320d tourings about but having never been in one, I wonder if they're underpowered for the size of the car. What do you think?

I haven't looked at the petrol models 325i etc but they sound thirsty. Dunno...
Kimosabe

Postby Garrison » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:47 pm

A (very) good condition Mazda 6 MPS at low (trade) price. I ran one for 3 years and it was one of the very best car I have ever run. I paid £5,700 for it at 4.5 years old and it was worth £4,800 when it was written off at 7.5 years old. Beyond normal servicing, it needed only a set of Michelin Pilot Super Sport tyres and a set of brake discs and pads front and rear in the 3 years.

Unfortunately it was written off by the next building collapsing over it during the storm a couple of winters ago ... :x
Garrison

Postby Kimosabe » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:58 pm

Garrison wrote:A (very) good condition Mazda 6 MPS at low (trade) price. I ran one for 3 years and it was one of the very best car I have ever run. I paid £5,700 for it at 4.5 years old and it was worth £4,800 when it was written off at 7.5 years old. Beyond normal servicing, it needed only a set of Michelin Pilot Super Sport tyres and a set of brake discs and pads front and rear in the 3 years.

Unfortunately it was written off by the next building collapsing over it during the storm a couple of winters ago ... :x

Hey there Garrison :D

I'm sorry to hear your car got squished. There were some similarly nasty incidents down here during that storm. May I ask what it was about the Mazda 6 that you liked? I'm interested in handling and as I live in Brighton, it'll need to be fairly nimble. I'm going to look up some reviews about it, so thanks for adding it to the list. :wink:
Kimosabe

Postby WhoseGeneration » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:03 am

An idea of budget would help.
Me, I'm toying with a new car or lots of work to ressurect my Classic Impreza Turbo, which I do love, for the AWD, the simple basic nature without electronics for this and that, the cable throttle which just does what you ask, the ride which is just right but the brakes and lights are rubbish.
New, I'm getting drawn to the Honda Civic TypeR, although FWD.

Eta, perhaps consider an Impreza Turbo, again depending upon budget, a Blobeye or Bugeye Wagon. Wagons tend to be owned by more "mature" in age and/or outlook drivers. Buy standard or with PPP only.
Always a commentary, spoken or not.
Keeps one safe. One hopes.
WhoseGeneration

Postby jont » Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:50 am

Doesn't work. You'll end up with something that isn't as much fun as the MX-5 and isn't as practical/comfortable as the freelander, and still costs quite a bit to run and depreciates as you pile miles on it.

/I seem to go round in circles with the 1-car/2-car thing every few years... :lol:
jont

Postby Gareth » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:38 am

Kimosabe wrote:I find the 5 touring a bit big

Before ruling them out, it might be worth comparing dimensions with the other cars you mention, else you will be making a decision based on an impression rather than facts.

Kimosabe wrote:I haven't looked at the petrol models 325i etc but they sound thirsty.

Were the other cars you initially suggested all diesels? If not, why would you assume a BMW petrol would be significantly worse than any other comparable petrol engined car?
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby Carbon Based » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:46 am

Well, I think you know our approach to "practical yet fun" it's just how you pack 8)

But even then, I think you could continue to its logical conclusion:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?as_st=y ... th+trailer
Carbon Based

Postby IcedKiwi » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:24 am

Kimosabe wrote:I haven't looked at the petrol models 325i etc but they sound thirsty. Dunno...

You're in the Brighton area right? I've got an e91 LCI 330i touring if you fancy going for a drive sometime. Didn't manage a test drive in the 330d when I was looking, but the 320d didn't quite do it for me. Yes it was fairly brisk, but didn't have the excitement, pushed to the back of the seat that I was looking for in a 1 car does all.

Official mpg on my later DI version is 38mpg, which it will achieve (and exceed) on motorways, but I think the computer averages 29-30 mpg over my typical, not lots of motorways, use case.
IcedKiwi

Postby akirk » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:49 am

you don't say whether you are looking at second-hand / new / leased / purchased / what budget... nor whether you need load carrying (i.e. estate / 4x4)

it is not impossible to enjoy one car... but you will always find some compromise...
I have just taken delivery of a Skoda Octavia Scout - it seems to handle remarkably well, has 4x4, oodles of space without being enormous, a brisk and punchy engine (despite being the lower powered c. 150 diesel) has no issues overtaking, pulls from a remarkably wide rev. range and is basically an audi with a skoda badge...

otherwise, my recommendation would be:
- new(ish) car as you distance cruiser / 4 doors / etc.
- classic car such as an MG / Triumph convertible with cheap insurance and no road tax = minimal cost second car which will probably go up in value... = almost free car
akirk

Postby Garrison » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:50 am

Kimosabe wrote:Hey there Garrison :D

I'm sorry to hear your car got squished. There were some similarly nasty incidents down here during that storm. May I ask what it was about the Mazda 6 that you liked? I'm interested in handling and as I live in Brighton, it'll need to be fairly nimble. I'm going to look up some reviews about it, so thanks for adding it to the list. :wink:

As well as the Mazda 6 MPS, also consider the Mazda CX-7 as they are practically the same car with the same structure, engine, gearbox, transfer box and mechanical LSD, larger brakes, etc. I have driven the CX-7 and it has the same feel as a Porsche Cayenne in terms of suspension damping (i.e. never feels floaty on demanding drives, unlike Range Rover Sport, etc.)

What I like about my 6 MPS
- relatively compact size to other full size family car and is shorter than the three Mondeo Mark 3s I had
- seat 5 comfortably vs. 3-series or A4-series and very similarly as spacious as the Mondeo
- chassis and cabin bracing increased chassis rigidity by 50%! You don't usually see this kind of increase even during model change.
- 4WD chassis, transfer box, and rear mechanical LSD suits my driving of "if in doubt the car understeer, add more throttle/power". Handling is really throttle adjustable into drift and oversteer which cannot be said of many 4-cylinder RWD BMWs.
- suspension travel is long. Damper is great and similar to a hawkeye Subaru Impreza STI Spec-D. I have driven from Cambridge to Norfolk a few times and over the rough, long straights on the Fens roads, it can maintain (very) high speed without being thrown off course
- excellent engine mapping between the revs, turbo and road speed so you don't get the jerk you get on some high pressure turbo cars (MPS is rated at 260 hp)
- very little turbo lag as you can feel the turbo to come in around 1,500 rpm so almost diesel like delivery
- low overall NVH except for tyre noise on standard Bridgestone but solved by Michelin Pilot Super Sport
- memory seats coded to each key so driving position is adjusted before you open the door, since I am 5'10 and my wife is 5'2
- standard Bose stereo with sub-woofer in the boot and in-dash CD changer and optional hard-disc for MP3, sound quality is decent
- good reliability, cheap servicing at Dagenham Ford
- only sold for 2 years so exclusive

Drawback:
- top rate road tax so I think it is £475 now but you don't get depreciation
- chassis rolls a little more than other sports saloons from Audi/BMW but much better ride and damper is great which I prefer
- more expensive, MPS-specific parts such as the larger brake discs and pads than standard Mazda 6, intake air filter, etc. but you can source them privately. I used Pagid discs, pads and fitting kit and purchase servicing kit from the US. The MPS engine shares some servicing parts with the V6 version which is sold in the US and also the CX-7
- too soft engine mounts so I change to a RSS engine mount for £117 delivered from the US
- smaller boot (450 vs. 500 litres I think) due to the rear chassis bracing
- folding rear seats (hidden lever) obstructed by the rear chassis bracing
- smaller fuel tank of 57L due to the rear chassis bracing vs. 62L in the Mondeo and standard 6
- short gearing, 6th gear runs at 25 mph per 1,000 rpm so 75 mph cruising equates to 3,000 rpm
- relatively high fuel consumption with 18 mpg on ADUK days, 24 mpg generally and 30 mpg cruising at "UK business travellers motorway speed" due to short top gear :) However, drive days has never been economical for me as others will attest.
- rumour of car theft / stolen due to being an excellent getaway car
Garrison

Postby Kimosabe » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:54 am

WhoseGeneration wrote:An idea of budget would help.
Me, I'm toying with a new car or lots of work to ressurect my Classic Impreza Turbo, which I do love, for the AWD, the simple basic nature without electronics for this and that, the cable throttle which just does what you ask, the ride which is just right but the brakes and lights are rubbish.
New, I'm getting drawn to the Honda Civic TypeR, although FWD.

Eta, perhaps consider an Impreza Turbo, again depending upon budget, a Blobeye or Bugeye Wagon. Wagons tend to be owned by more "mature" in age and/or outlook drivers. Buy standard or with PPP only.

Budget is going to be circa £25-30k absolute max, sell some guitars and the sofa. I never considered an Impreza before and I guess this is because my impression of them is somewhat (very) tainted by those i've seen roaring around and their heritage. I drove a civic last week, though not the R and I wasn't impressed with the car or the dealership. The R seems to be the pick of the bunch but as is often the case, discussing helps and I find myself wanting a wolf in sheep's clothing. Something that doesn't look like it can bend time but that has the ability to do so, if i'm on point and nobody is around to point measuring equipment at me. How have you found your Impreza as a daily driver? I have a SWMBO/ Director of finances/ Keeper of the receipts and two dogs....and occasionally two parents to consider, so smooth and quiet must be available too.
Kimosabe

Postby Kimosabe » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:02 am

jont wrote:Doesn't work. You'll end up with something that isn't as much fun as the MX-5 and isn't as practical/comfortable as the freelander, and still costs quite a bit to run and depreciates as you pile miles on it.

/I seem to go round in circles with the 1-car/2-car thing every few years... :lol:

You and me both. I seem to orbit this every 2-3 years too but one factor which has been added to my overloaded reason processor of recent, is this whole AD malarkey and my admiration for anyone who can take a fairly 'normal' car and get it to do fairly abnormal things; abnormal for me anyway. I'll cite JC and his peugeot as evidence.

I recall a video by Chris 'Hoonigan' Harris of his flea infested Audi S4 estate, at least I think it was an S4 and that's why I hold some recurrent thoughts of the Golf Gti. It's fruity yet unassuming.... bit like me at times :wink:

You're right of course. The MX5 would take some beating for outright fun and inexpensive ownership but my thoughts on this are that it has cost me nothing other than servicing and new tyres but it's still worth around £7k now, so selling now would be good. The Freelander is a wafty comfortable thing with 60,000 on the clock. Again, faultless but it's still worth around £13k ish and although I would undoubtedly miss it's innate ability to waft over anything, selling both cars now would give me around £20k towards a nice new and shiny precious.
Last edited by Kimosabe on Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kimosabe

Postby Garrison » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:06 am

Kimosabe wrote:The R seems to be the pick of the bunch but as is often the case, discussing helps and I find myself wanting a wolf in sheep's clothing. Something that doesn't look like it can bend time but that has the ability to do so, if i'm on point and nobody is around to point measuring equipment at me. How have you found your Impreza as a daily driver? I have a SWMBO/ Director of finances/ Keeper of the receipts and two dogs....and occasionally two parents to consider, so smooth and quiet must be available too.

Eh, similar to my thinking a few years ago. I wanted Impreza STI setup (suspension damping, etc.) but in a sheep clothings, less hard ride and in the Legacy/Mondeo size car. Hence I chose the Mazda 6 MPS.

If you have 2 dogs, you probably need a hatchback/estate/SUV. Try the 2.3 petrol turbo CX-7 instead of the 6 MPS - I think you will like it. It will pull strongly up to 120 mph in 5th gears and then the acceleration slows noticeably. This I find is enough to overtake in most situations.

It is just ashamed that mainstream car manufacturer will never built these one-offs like the STI Spec-D or the 6 MPS again ...
Garrison

Next

Return to General Car Chat Forum