Under-17 driving sessions

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby Horse » Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:42 pm

Does anyone have experience either direct, or as the bill-payer ;) ) of the various under-17 driving sessions available?

e.g. MB @ Brooklands
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby akirk » Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:47 pm

I have looked at a lot of them for my 13yr old (nr. 14) godson for this summer when I take him away - but most of them seem very little time driving for the money spent...

we are booked in to do a half day rally driving at the Forster Driving School near Chichester in August - looks really good value for money and a lot of fun... Rage buggys which do silly speeds! happy to report back afterwards!

one issue with many of the experiences seems to be the need to be able to drive a manual gearbox, and while he has driven my cars in a field I wouldn't say he has enough skill yet to enjoy an experience where that is a requirement - the rallying is autos only (apparently because the adults used to kill the gearboxes!)

Alasdair
akirk

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:00 pm

If you're looking for a one day experience I can't help you. I can, however, highly recommend the Under 17 Car Club. I'm sure you can go for a day and both see how it operates, and potentially participate (but you'd have to check with them). They're highly professional and have been doing it for donkey's years. They're a charity, not there to make money out of you, but run for their members' benefit. The drivers they turn out are very competent and mature, far more so than the normal product of a few sessions with an ADI. That said, some on-road experience coming up to the test is usually needed as well.

HTH.
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Horse » Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:06 pm

Thanks for prompt responses!

Yes, £30-45 for half an hour isn't horrendous compared to some hobbies, I'm not sure that a total novice driver would gain much from a one-off session.

Hmmm . . . Under 17s Club . . . Now, who do I know who might be Social Sec for a ROSPA group who might also be involved . . . ? :mrgreen: :wink: Good reminder, ta!
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Return to General Car Chat Forum