Procedure Following a Road Collision

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby Silk » Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:50 am

In the light of the recent sad news of an elderly gentleman being murdered in a suspected "road rage" incident following a collision, is it time to change the advice given to motorists?

As a suggestion, perhaps we could have cards made up with our insurance details on that we can pass through a crack in a partially opened window and the advice should be to stay in the car if possible, call the police/ambulance/fire brigade if required or leave the scene as quickly as possible if there are no injuries. In fact, do we even need to do this now that details are held online, needing only the reg. no. for the relevant parties to get all the information they require.

I feel the days when we could settle things with a simple exchange of insurance details and a handshake are long gone.

Of course, the best advice is to avoid a collision in the first place. But even the best drivers can't avoid some incidents.

In the future, I see all cars being fitted with cameras and, as long as the car is drivable, the advice will be to get away from the situation as quickly as possible and sort it out when you get to a place of safety.
Silk

Postby TripleS » Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:31 pm

I don't imagine it would be appropriate to change the advice/procedure at this point in time. After all, road rage is still pretty rare, and extreme road rage and violence leading to serious injury or death is even more rare, fortunately.
TripleS

Postby Stephen » Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:51 pm

Absoloutely not the advice at present is still fine and upto date, as has been said before this type of incident is rare and I am talking about the ones that end in tragedy.
Stephen
Stephen

Postby Silk » Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:00 pm

Stephen wrote:Absoloutely not the advice at present is still fine and upto date, as has been said before this type of incident is rare and I am talking about the ones that end in tragedy.
Stephen

I'm not sure I'd want to get out of the car in some areas of the country (The Aston/Handsworth area of Birmingham springs to mind as It's somewhere I've driven through quite regularly, although most large cities have such places) at the best of times, let alone after a collision.

I'm not saying it should happen in every situation, but there should be the option to get the hell out if there's a high likelihood of trouble. Not everyone is confident in intimidating situations that have the potential to turn bad and, even if they are, they could still turn bad.

Although these kinds of incident are rare, they're not rare enough for my liking.

As far as I'm concerned, the advice is out-of-date as it was given before camera-phones were ubiquitous and the MID was in existence.
Silk

Postby jonquirk » Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:41 pm

What happens if neither driver feels like stepping out of their vehicle? Would they have to wait until some Good Samaritan third party arrived to exchange the cards?
jonquirk

Postby MGF » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:58 am

You aren't obliged to follow advice. Use it wisely.
MGF

Postby dvenman » Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:51 pm

The AA has a reasonable summary - check http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/le ... ident.html

If you feel really threatened, then find the nearest police station, or in any case get to one within 24 hours, and report the accident, and why you felt you couldn't stop to exchange details.

And if you do feel it's not safe to stop at the scene, then as many details of the other vehicle(s) and people involved as possible would be useful to help tracking down the other party.

But you'll need to be prepared to answer some serious questions as to why you left the scene.
dvenman

Return to General Car Chat Forum