Left turn truck flattens motorbike

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby Fignon » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:25 am

I have not watched this with sound but driver doesn't seem too bothered about riders welfare.

https://youtu.be/C1aSvoIpVss
Last edited by Fignon on Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fignon

Postby Fignon » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:07 pm

That's what I thought, just because you can't see where you are going is no excuse to stop going forward. :D
Fignon

Postby jont » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:19 pm

Bad timing all round. To be fair, by the time it was obvious what the lorry was doing, I'm not sure the biker could do much. Escape right maybe? Agreed the truck driver didn't really seem to care about the bikers health (or even the bike :roll: )

Horn/headlight flash on the part of the biker might have achieved more than shouting.

Surely if you can't see past an obstruction even if it's part of your vehicle, you shouldn't just assume the way is clear?
jont

Postby Astraist » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:12 pm

I am not entirely sure the driver could not see the rider throughout the entire maneuver. In such a maneuver, moving one's head about to look around is a sound idea, too...

At the point where he is within a few feet of the bike, it should also have been made visible in his close proximity mirrors.

The rider would have indeed been capable of going to the right, it would seem, but became so mesmerized, so to speak, by the look of a lorry coming to crush him that it probably did not come to mind.

He might also have not appreciated the lorry's blind spots (most motorists don't know where these spots are) and thus have been much too late and much too surprised to find the lorry, errr, about him.
Astraist

Postby jont » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:35 pm

Now on BBC:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-33622318
Thread convergence with the technology discussion...?
"However, Hodgetts, who is also campaigns manager for the industry group Driving for Better Business, says new technology could dramatically reduce the risk of accidents. He adds: "What might have prevented this particular incident is automatic emergency braking," - an autonomous safety system that prevents or slows down collisions."
jont

Postby TripleS » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:16 pm

Bearing in mind that the lorry driver would be sitting some distance away from his LH A post, I wouldn't have thought it likely that his view of the biker would have been obscured all the time. Having said that, I don't know what the A posts are like on lorries; but certainly the A posts on many modern cars are, as we've all recognised, too wide to permit a good field of view. I find those on the Pug 406 are quite wide enough to obscure my view of a cyclist to my right as I'm arriving at a roundabout.
TripleS

Postby WhoseGeneration » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:50 pm

For goodness sake, what's all the talk about A posts and stuff. Simple fact is lorry driver turned in too fast. He knew he would have to go to his offside, so should have braked to almost stop and turned in at less than walking pace.
If a pedestrian had stepped into the road from his offside?
What's that stuff about how ADers know when to be slow? If you can't see what's around the corner, you go slow until you can.
I would slightly criticise the motorcyclist, in that, for me, he didn't slow enough approaching a blind junction where a right turner into might have cut the corner, as so many do, they appearing to not be able to use a steering wheel properly, plus he didn't "expect the unexpected", the lorry in his lane.
Always a commentary, spoken or not.
Keeps one safe. One hopes.
WhoseGeneration

Postby TripleS » Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:52 pm

Yes, I was surprised how quickly the lorry was travelling, it looked too fast to me.
TripleS

Postby TripleS » Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:56 am

I've just looked at the video again and noted that in addition to the A post, the nearside mirrors also take away a good chunk of the driver's view.
TripleS

Postby pete g » Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:22 pm

But the truck came into junction at a very poor angle and just continued on... totally on wrong side of the road...

Flattening a venerable biker ! Bike was way back from junction, reckon he was looking but not seeing or worse...?

I wonder what the police thought of the video?
Br1stol IAM Observer
IAM Motorcycle
MSA - Bristol Pegasus MC.
pete g

Postby vonhosen » Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:03 pm

I drive such vehicle types regularly in London.

I don't personally find the A pillar (or n/s mirror combos come to that) a problem for such turns as long as I keep the speed appropriate & I look in the right places at the right times.
Any views expressed are mine & mine alone.
I do not represent my employer or these forums.
vonhosen

Postby hir » Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:11 pm

StressedDave wrote:You did spot that it was a long rigid entering a tight internal radius street? No? Thought not...

The driver couldn't see said biker due to A post interference.

No ifs, no buts. No excuses. Just careless driving on the part of the lorry driver.
hir

Postby TripleS » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:30 am

vonhosen wrote:I drive such vehicle types regularly in London.

I don't personally find the A pillar (or n/s mirror combos come to that) a problem for such turns as long as I keep the speed appropriate & I look in the right places at the right times.

That's clearly what needs to be done, but in this case it would appear that the lorry driver didn't take care to do that, and it turned out to be an unfortunate omission. Given that he didn't make sure he had adequate vision, I still feel his speed was a bit on the high side.

I have no quarrel with the amount of road he was using; I'd say he needed pretty much all of that, but the biker had prior claim to part of it.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby TripleS » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:35 am

StressedDave wrote:

That is the nub of it - you've got to be looking in the right place at the right time which requires your attention not to be on one of the myriad of other hazards to be found in the target rich environment of a typical London street.

And, on any measure, there's a distinct difference between the skill level of a Hendon instructor and the careful and competent level considered sufficient by the RTA.

Maybe so, but I think one might reasonably expect careful and competent drivers not to drive into areas where they can not see things that they need to see.
TripleS

Postby vonhosen » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:54 am

StressedDave wrote:

That is the nub of it - you've got to be looking in the right place at the right time which requires your attention not to be on one of the myriad of other hazards to be found in the target rich environment of a typical London street.

And, on any measure, there's a distinct difference between the skill level of a Hendon instructor and the careful and competent level considered sufficient by the RTA.

If he'd done it on a DVSA test he'd have failed because it fell short of the standard required.
If you are very close to any of the myriad of hazards to be found in a target rich environment you should be slowing to the point that you aren't going to hit it. Him taking the piece of road isn't a problem, failing to ensure it's safe to take it is. The bike wasn't in a position on the road that you wouldn't expect it to be or it didn't move into that space suddenly.
Any views expressed are mine & mine alone.
I do not represent my employer or these forums.
vonhosen

Next

Return to General Car Chat Forum