Advanced Motoring Facebook Group

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby petes » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:50 pm

petes

Postby akirk » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:57 pm

this is going to go well :)

Furthermore, new members will be treated with courtesy and respect, and their views welcomes just as much as their more long-standing counterparts.

Feel free to get the ball rolling by making posts to this group. Moderation will be light and intervene only if absolutely necessary.

:)

bad form old boy to poach on one forum to another ;)

Alasdair
akirk

Postby Horse » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:20 pm

petes wrote:For those that are interested:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/695768920566957

You must log in to continue

I thought the intention was to broaden the interest; why restrict it?
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby Silk » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:45 pm

Just because someone refuses to go on Facebook, doesn't mean they're a technophobe or luddite. In fact, the opposite is more likely to be the case.
Silk

Postby Horse » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:00 pm

Silk wrote:

Just because someone refuses to go on Facebook, doesn't mean they're a technophobe or luddite. In fact, the opposite is more likely to be the case.

I understand that Fb is rapidly going out of favour with the yoof, so if the intention is at all towards getting them interested and involved, then that's potentially a 'fail'.

Also, I presume that blocking not logged-in Fb'ers from viewing will also prevent either the site being read by search engine spiders or from being viewed even if it appears in the search listing.

Finally (and since I can't see the site, I don't know), presumably if displaying links pointing back here, then anyone anti- the site will still be anti- the site . . .
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby Pyrolol » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:16 pm

Horse wrote:Also, I presume that blocking not logged-in Fb'ers from viewing will also prevent either the site being read by search engine spiders or from being viewed even if it appears in the search listing.

I'd be surprised if the main spiders didn't have accounts on Facebook (or something equivalent).

Take this site for example - it's always bemused me that the google 'description text' for this site (search for 'aduk') is "Discussion on topics which really should remain not visible to the open world and are just for ADUK Members: 17296 Posts: Last post by Carbon Based." - because the bot has an account and can apparently therefore read the members area!
Pyrolol

Postby Horse » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:46 pm

Pyrolol wrote:
Horse wrote:Also, I presume that blocking not logged-in Fb'ers from viewing will also prevent either the site being read by search engine spiders or from being viewed even if it appears in the search listing.

I'd be surprised if the main spiders didn't have accounts on Facebook (or something equivalent).

Hence the second half of the statement :)
Horse

Postby akirk » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:33 pm

there are a few misconceptions here :)
the googlebot will be recognised as such by forum software and can usually be restricted / targetted individually as can other search bots
google bot doesn't have an account on here or on facebook and can only see what is public / the admins allow - if it can see content not available to the public then security settings are wrong :)

it isn't unusual to have a facebook group for which you need to log in - if you are logged in you can see content without having to be a member of the group - on facebook, public means logged into facebook, but not a part of the group / not linked to the person - it doesn't mean people with no facebook account, Facebook has no interest in allowing them to see anything, they are of no value to facebook...

though blocked to those not able to log in to Facebook, Facebook allows the search engine spiders in as though they are logged in members of facebook, and gives them access to anything deemed public (though it is only public within the confines / walls of Facebook...)

The facebook page is called advanced motoring uk - not advanced driving uk (might be something to do with the fact that the advanced driving uk name is taken ;)) and my quote below is the extent of the dig at this site...

to be honest I can't see it replacing this forum, and if it engenders interest, great, more people with an interest in AD - chances are that if they wish to have discussion with some of the top drivers in the country they will end up here anyway :D

Alasdair
akirk

Postby Horse » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:56 pm

akirk wrote: Facebook allows the search engine spiders in as though they are logged in members of facebook, and gives them access to anything deemed public (though it is only public within the confines / walls of Facebook...)

Which, as I said, is daft (in the case of the new Fb page) if the intention is to widen the audience.

akirk wrote: if it engenders interest, great, more people with an interest in AD

As I agreed in the other thread (earlier, not most recent) where Fb was suggested.
Horse

Postby chrisl » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:28 pm

I notice there are share to Twitter and share to Facebook icons on each thread - presumably the forum admins are able to track how often these are used and how often incoming traffic to the site originates from social media? Perhaps low stats have already informed their decision not to embrace these options? If current forum members who are on social media are not drawing these two activities together that would not seem likely to encourage the site admins to invest in such a development.
chrisl

Postby Silk » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:35 pm

chrisl wrote:I notice there are share to Twitter and share to Facebook icons on each thread - presumably the forum admins are able to track how often these are used and how often incoming traffic to the site originates from social media? Perhaps low stats have already informed their decision not to embrace these options? If current forum members who are on social media are not drawing these two activities together that would not seem likely to encourage the site admins to invest in such a development.

Why do people insist of confusing Facebook and Twitter with Social Media? They're just the better known Social Media portals. This forum is Social Media.
Silk

Postby chrisl » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:46 pm

Sorry about that.
chrisl

Postby akirk » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:50 pm

Silk wrote:Why do people insist of confusing Facebook and Twitter with Social Media? They're just the better known Social Media portals. This forum is Social Media.

because, while you are technically correct, Social Media now tends to focus on 3rd party international platforms used to push information outwards, not private communities...

for the majority of people if you asked them to list social media sites, they wouldn't include forums...

so while you might be right, that is where modern parlance has moved...

Alasdair
akirk

Postby waremark » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:20 am

2 members so far including P'S.
waremark

Postby akirk » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:51 am

oooh now locked down so that you have to join the group to see posts - we will never know what is being said :) and 3 members now :)

Alasdair
akirk

Next

Return to General Car Chat Forum