IAM/ROSPA test

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby trashbat » Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:16 am

StressedDave wrote:
  • progress - I'd go more for 'pace' than progress
  • overtaking - difficult to guarantee finding one
  • low-speed manoeuvres - pointless
  • cockpit drill - It's you're own car, you've driven it to the test and if you don't know how to operate the controls by then you're screwed
  • economy - who cares for a particular test. Although getting the pace right will probably give better economy anyway

A decent examiner did/does all this anyway, no? My 2011-ish test featured all the above, and it was great, the most enjoyable drive of the whole thing. A refreshing change from some (certainly not all) of the stuff leading up to it!
Rob - IAM F1RST, Alfa Romeo 156 JTS
trashbat

Postby hir » Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:33 am

trashbat wrote:A decent examiner did/does all this anyway, no? My 2011-ish test featured all the above, and it was great, the most enjoyable drive of the whole thing. A refreshing change from some (certainly not all) of the stuff leading up to it!

Unfortunately, not all examiners are as enlightened as yours.

Some IAM examiners are even more pedantic, blinkered and steeped in the "Hendon Way" than some of the pedantic, blinkered, "Hendon Way" observers that one frequently comes across. :roll:

We have one examiner who, during the test, makes comments which leave the candidate in no doubt that he (the examiner) is a far, far better driver than the candidate. It's a bit pathetic really; and very, very unsettling for the candidate. :cry:
Last edited by hir on Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hir

Postby akirk » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:49 am

StressedDave wrote:What, even the improper use of your/you're. I'm off to crush myself under the weight of as many Grammar Pedants as I can find.

if we are outcome based and not input focused, then the grammar is irrelevant - as long as we understand :D

Alasdair
akirk

Postby martine » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:38 am

I like the idea of scoring 'enjoyment' or perhaps it could also include 'petrol-headness'?

Anything else that should be added to the current 27 scores on the IAM test?

For those that don't know, the IAM Advanced Test is currently scored on:
  • Safety
  • System
  • Observation
  • Positioning
  • Hazard Management
  • Planning
  • Anticipation
  • Eco-Driving
  • Vehicle Sympathy
  • Gear Changing
  • Use of Gearbox
  • Acceleration Sense
  • Braking
  • Steering
  • Mirrors/Rear Observation
  • Signals
  • Cornering
  • Overtaking
  • Restraint
  • Progress
  • Smoothness
  • Concentration
  • Courtesy
  • Legality
  • Slow Manoeuvring
  • Knowledge
  • Commentary

Plenty of duplication there - depending on how you read it.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby Horse » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:57 am

martine wrote:I like the idea of scoring 'enjoyment' or perhaps it could also include 'petrol-headness'?

• Safety
  • Safety

So good they named it twice? :shock: :wink:
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:12 pm

I disagree with the "pace" for "progress" substitution. Progress can be defined in many ways, including "keeping the wheels turning", "looking for opportunities", "slow for flow", "planning to stop, looking to go" and lots of other things. "Pace" can only mean speed. While we want to see appropriate speed so as not to be holding other road users up, we don't want inappropriate speed at any time, and "pace" suggests we're looking for something fast.

Otherwise I'm with SD, except that cockpit drills can be useful in unfamiliar cars, as I'm sure he would agree.

JM2PW.
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby martine » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:06 pm

Horse wrote:
martine wrote:I like the idea of scoring 'enjoyment' or perhaps it could also include 'petrol-headness'?

• Safety
  • Safety

So good they named it twice? :shock: :wink:

Observation was never my strong point...corrected.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby superplum » Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:43 pm

StressedDave wrote:
martine wrote:As many will know, the IAM is trialling a new Advanced test in selected groups.

There is debate about what should and shouldn't be included in the test and what emphasis should be put on certain aspects...things like:
  • progress - I'd go more for 'pace' than progress
  • overtaking - difficult to guarantee finding one
  • low-speed manoeuvres - pointless
  • cockpit drill - It's you're own car, you've driven it to the test and if you don't know how to operate the controls by then you're screwed
  • economy - who cares for a particular test. Although getting the pace right will probably give better economy anyway

I'd be interested to know others thoughts - both IAM members and not.

Answers above... If possible try and keep the specifications for the test away from retired Police Officers.

Pace? No! this term implies maintaining a specific speed: prefer "Making progress"
Overtaking is OK, but always dependant on an opportunity arising. This is recognised.
Low-Speed man... There are many drivers out there who are cr4p at this.
Cockpit Drill. Yes, it demonstrates reasonable knowledge of the vehicle being used.
Economy. Questionable need for the test criteria.

Just my thoughts!
8)
superplum

Postby jcochrane » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:26 pm

Interesting how words give a different impression to different people.
Making progress has for me the feel of something slightly aggressive about it. Getting from A to B as efficiently as possible and making that progress happen. Maybe my thinking is coloured by my involvement in advanced police driving where there was a strong emphasis on making progress and finding a way to maximise that progress, safely of course. Pace on the other hand, for me, has a deeper, more subtle feel and meaning. Something that is constantly changing. Driving a section of road at the right pace that best suits and blends in with that road. It is an added touch of finesse to a drive. It is an art to set the pace just right for the nature or character of the road and its flowing changes. A key element of a craftsman like drive.
jcochrane

Location: East Surrey and wherever good driving roads can be found.

Postby Astraist » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:40 pm

StressedDave wrote:
martine wrote:As many will know, the IAM is trialling a new Advanced test in selected groups.

There is debate about what should and shouldn't be included in the test and what emphasis should be put on certain aspects...things like:
[list][*]cockpit drill - It's you're own car, you've driven it to the test and if you don't know how to operate the controls by then you're screwed

If I had a Shekel for every driver who made far less than optimal use of the coverage of their mirrors, or that was stretching and laboring somewhat to reach each and every one of the controls...

I am all for priorities, but given enough time I'd be happy to coach a driver through the entire range of what road driving (and off-road driving) consists of.
Astraist

Postby Horse » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:25 pm

Is there now, or planned to be, any element of self-analysis, comparing the candidate's opinion of the drive against the examiner's?
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby Kimosabe » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:04 pm

Horse wrote:Is there now, or planned to be, any element of self-analysis, comparing the candidate's opinion of the drive against the examiner's?

My IAM examiner gave me the opportunity to discuss his findings at the end of my test, as did the excellent RoSPA examiner, with whom I went for an 'experienced driver assessment' yesterday. Is this not what happens usually?
A wise man once told me that "it depends". I sometimes agree.
Kimosabe

Postby Horse » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:19 pm

Kimosabe wrote:
Horse wrote:Is there now, or planned to be, any element of self-analysis, comparing the candidate's opinion of the drive against the examiner's?

My IAM examiner gave me the opportunity to discuss his findings at the end of my test, as did the excellent RoSPA examiner, with whom I went for an 'experienced driver assessment' yesterday. Is this not what happens usually?

Not discuss - as (again, we're in semantic of individual words) they to me implies justification.

Instead, I'm thinking that the debrief should start with the candidate considering their own performance, 'go to woe' - and having it 'calibrated' against the examiner's views.
Horse

Postby Oscarmark » Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:50 pm

I am new to this forum, so forgive me for adding my pennies worth, as an examiner I wAnt the drive to be, amongst other things....

Safe
Systematic
Smooth
Speed, progress, whatever you like to call it.

I prefer 'sparkle' I want to see an associate taking full advantage of the ambient speed limit (if the conditions allow) if we are in a 50mph limit and the road, traffic and weather conditions allow, I want to see a driver doing 50 and not 45mph. As you are leaving a restricted limit and entering a National, I want to see firm acceleration as you cross the line, again if conditions allow. It is after all an Advanced Test!!
Having been examining for over 5 years, the most common issue is 'lack of progress'

Hope that helps?
Oscarmark

Postby IcedKiwi » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:46 pm

Oscarmark wrote:Hope that helps?

Thanks, It does help! Just put in for my IAM test last week and currently awaiting the examiner to call me to arrange a date, so all very relevant and timely.

As a bonus, it just so happens that one of the other guests I spoke to yesterday at the HPC young drivers day mentioned that he failed his first IAM test as he didn't appreciate the level of progress that was expected

Edit: And welcome!
IcedKiwi

PreviousNext

Return to General Car Chat Forum