Older drivers...

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby dvenman » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:15 pm

I've just seen this article on the BBC news - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-humber-33929339 - about an 84 year old driver caught speeding at 100mph (we won't hold the fact it was in a Micra against him, there's folks on here who drive them :) )

What caught my eye - other than the 100mph bit - was this comment:

Casualty reduction officer Simon Carlisle said: "At 84-years-old you are unlikely to have the same responsive reactions to that of a younger driver and so the speed this driver was doing was extremely worrying.
"If he needed to make any sudden manoeuvre he would have been in trouble."

It would be interesting to know if the driver was AD trained to any degree - wouldn't that surely mitigate the "responsive reactions" ? And doesn't it show a naïveté on the part of the CRO and a missed opportunity ? Or is the naïveté mine ?
Last edited by dvenman on Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dvenman

Postby hir » Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:30 pm

dvenman wrote:

Casualty reduction officer Simon Carlisle said: "At 84-years-old you are unlikely to have the same responsive reactions to that of a younger driver and so the speed this driver was doing was extremely worrying.

You beat me to it. Your reactions are obviously quicker than mine! :D :D :D

My reactions to this idiotic statement were:

Bl**dy cheek, Simon!
Simon, you have no idea whether this driver had any advanced driver training and was planning for hazards accordingly.
Simon, you have no idea of the prevailing conditions at the time. Was it dry? Was there little traffic about? Was there good visibility?
Simon, it seems you know little about driving.
Simon, just how old are you? Not very, I suspect. Probably less than 20 if the silliness of your statement is anything to go by. :lol:

Simon, the only factual comment that you can make about this occurance is that the speed was illegal. You are not able to say for certain that it was dangerous or that... "the speed this driver was doing was extremely worrying."

Simon, it seems that because you are so young, your keyboard/tweetering fingers reacted much more quickly than your brain, which is only to be expected, that's how most young people with quick reactions react when it comes to twittering/FaceBooking/keyboarding. So, your inane, knee jerk comments are no more than one would expect from a young person who reacts to a situation without first knowing the facts. :lol: :lol: :lol:

But, hey, what am I saying? Simon, you're a Casualty Reduction Officer, you're paid to say these sort of knee jerk things. It would be naive of me to expect you to say... "sorry, I do not have the full facts of this case. The speed was illegal, for which the driver will be prosecuted. However, I can't comment on whether the speed was dangerous or whether the speed was worrying until I'm in full receipt of the facts of the case. I am unable to say whether or not the driver's age has any bearing upon this case." :lol: :lol: :lol:
hir

Postby TripleS » Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:42 pm

Hmm, not many members in Simon's fan club it would appear - and understandably so.
TripleS

Postby chrisl » Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:02 pm

Recent news story featuring PC Carlisle here: http://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/just-fin ... story.html

The photo suggests hir may be a little out on the age assessment!
chrisl

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:20 pm

I find this absolutely hilarious, not because of the age of the driver in question, but the fact he managed to achieve 100 mph in a 1.0l Micra, which, if my instructor's one was anything to go by, required a calender to measure how quickly it could get from 29-30, let alone 30-70, with a favouring gradient and wind.

It must take a lot of dedication to achieve 100 in a Micra :mrgreen:
TheInsanity1234

Postby hir » Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:11 pm

chrisl wrote:Recent news story featuring PC Carlisle here: http://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/just-fin ... story.html

The photo suggests hir may be a little out on the age assessment!

How right you are!

Wow, he's old enough to know better! :shock: :shock:

He can't be far off 84 himself! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

... and he's been let loose with a speed gun. Surely he's too old to react to oncoming cars travelling towards him at 100mph. :shock: :shock: :shock: The photo of him standing on the edge of the carriageway talking to a no doubt elderly motorist is extremely worrying. At his age he's unlikely to have the same responsive reactions as that of a younger police officer and so his ability to jump out of the way of a 100mph speeding 84 year Micra driver will be severely restricted due to his age and infirmity... altogether this is... extremely worrying.
hir

Postby revian » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:05 pm

hir wrote:Recent news story featuring PC Carlisle here: http://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/just-fin ... story.html

Isn't he holding up a magnifying glass to read the numberplates?

In the late 70s we had a Fiat 500. Downhill and only downhill... it could exceed 70mph. I liked the idea of being stopped at the bottom for speeding. 'Take the keys officer and try it. I think you'll find that you're mistaken.' :D
Wirral
revian

Postby WhoseGeneration » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:18 pm

TheInsanity1234 wrote:I find this absolutely hilarious, not because of the age of the driver in question, but the fact he managed to achieve 100 mph in a 1.0l Micra, which, if my instructor's one was anything to go by, required a calender to measure how quickly it could get from 29-30, let alone 30-70, with a favouring gradient and wind.

You though were never allowed to really use it.
We've had, as the shopping car, 3 iterations of Micra. K10 988cc 50 bhp could keep up, long time ago, with Mway outside lane, next K11 1275cc 75 bhp even less of a problem, current 1598cc 108 bhp easy.
As always, pedal to the metal and lots of stuff can surprise. The Nissan engines take it too.
Always a commentary, spoken or not.
Keeps one safe. One hopes.
WhoseGeneration

Postby WhoseGeneration » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:56 pm

The officer referenced here is likely to be a "casuality" of his obesity before long.
Perhaps he, or his Force's Occupational Health Unit, are not concerned about reducing this?
Funny how some people view things, as shown by posts here.
That Force's PR unit isn't really on top of things is it?
Always a commentary, spoken or not.
Keeps one safe. One hopes.
WhoseGeneration

Postby TripleS » Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:42 pm

In cases like this have you noticed how these utterances by police officers and (supposed) road safety experts follow a pattern quite closely? They all seem to say pretty much the same nonsensical things in most of these cases.

I don't know why we don't sack these people and just set up a machine to deliver the hectoring messages. It would do just as good a job and it would be much cheaper.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby revian » Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:51 pm

TripleS wrote:I don't know why we don't sack these people and just set up a machine to deliver the hectoring messages. It would do just as good a job and it would be much cheaper.

... Or build it into the accelerator pedal?

Ian
Wirral
revian

Postby TripleS » Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:08 pm

revian wrote:
TripleS wrote:I don't know why we don't sack these people and just set up a machine to deliver the hectoring messages. It would do just as good a job and it would be much cheaper.

Ian

I think I'd be snipping a few wires. :evil:
TripleS

Postby sussex2 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:41 pm

dvenman wrote:I've just seen this article on the BBC news - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-humber-33929339 - about an 84 year old driver caught speeding at 100mph (we won't hold the fact it was in a Micra against him, there's folks on here who drive them :) )

It would be interesting to know if the driver was AD trained to any degree - wouldn't that surely mitigate the "responsive reactions" ? And doesn't it show a naïveté on the part of the CRO and a missed opportunity ? Or is the naïveté mine ?

I think Mr Carlisle is a bit overawed by the title of his postion.
I'm not bothered about the old Romanians and Bulgarians but the Old Etonians scare me rigid.
sussex2

Postby revian » Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:01 pm

TripleS wrote:
revian wrote:

Ian

I think I'd be snipping a few wires. :evil:

Hearing aid users would be OK...
Wirral
revian

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:30 pm

WhoseGeneration wrote:
TheInsanity1234 wrote:I find this absolutely hilarious, not because of the age of the driver in question, but the fact he managed to achieve 100 mph in a 1.0l Micra, which, if my instructor's one was anything to go by, required a calender to measure how quickly it could get from 29-30, let alone 30-70, with a favouring gradient and wind.

You though were never allowed to really use it.
We've had, as the shopping car, 3 iterations of Micra. K10 988cc 50 bhp could keep up, long time ago, with Mway outside lane, next K11 1275cc 75 bhp even less of a problem, current 1598cc 108 bhp easy.
As always, pedal to the metal and lots of stuff can surprise. The Nissan engines take it too.

The amount of noise and vibration that came out of that engine at 70 along the A34 was massively unpleasant. And of course, I have no doubts in its ability to maintain a speed, it was the getting there that wasn't too enjoyable.
I'm sure the instructor didn't mind me revving the engine to about 4k rpm before changing up while accelerating.
TheInsanity1234

Next

Return to General Car Chat Forum