Older drivers...

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby fungus » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:31 pm

TheInsanity1234 wrote:I'm sure the instructor didn't mind me revving the engine to about 4k rpm before changing up while accelerating.

If you were going up hill I'd expect it.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby waremark » Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:16 pm

At 87 my father drove me with the brio you might expect of a former rally driver round Alpine passes, and drove me competently through busy unfamiliar foreign city centres. BTW, he had not been Advanced Trained.
waremark

Postby TripleS » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:22 am

waremark wrote:At 87 my father drove me with the brio you might expect of a former rally driver round Alpine passes, and drove me competently through busy unfamiliar foreign city centres. BTW, he had not been Advanced Trained.

Now that's very nice to hear, an impressive performnce indeed.

I don't think I'd be very keen to tackle busy unfamiliar foreign city centres; I'm not too happy about some of ours!

Filey on a quiet day is more my scene. :lol:

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:25 pm

fungus wrote:
TheInsanity1234 wrote:I'm sure the instructor didn't mind me revving the engine to about 4k rpm before changing up while accelerating.

If you were going up hill I'd expect it.

I was doing that pretty much everywhere, so gutless the engine was.

Also, WOT was used fairly frequently, but the instructor never did mind me driving the car hard.

The funny thing was how I'd use WOT without thinking in the Micra, but I can easily recall every occasion I've used WOT in our Yeti.

However, I would say it's been very useful having experience in the Micra as it did teach me how to manage my driving plan such that I can maintain momentum without compromising safety, and those skills have transferred into the Yeti in such a way that my driving style has resulted in me rarely ending up in trouble as I have very little reliance on using the power to get me out of trouble or through certain situations.

Everybody should have an experience in a hideously underpowered car, it gives you life lessons I think :mrgreen:
TheInsanity1234

Postby TripleS » Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:07 pm

TheInsanity1234 wrote:
Everybody should have an experience in a hideously underpowered car....

An experience? I'm getting it constantly; but at least it is exceedingly economical. :lol:
TripleS

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:59 pm

revian wrote:Hearing aid users would be OK...

I'm a hearing aid user, speak up! :mrgreen:

TripleS wrote:
TheInsanity1234 wrote:
Everybody should have an experience in a hideously underpowered car....

An experience? I'm getting it constantly; but at least it is exceedingly economical. :lol:

When the Micra was being driven by me, I was unsuccessful in achieving economy figures of more than 35 mpg :mrgreen:
TheInsanity1234

Previous

Return to General Car Chat Forum