Motability car help

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby fengpo » Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:37 pm

Hi all,

I'm after some advice I am completely snookered on what car to have next. The more interesting cars are above the bhp cut off which is 115 bhp for under 25's. I have contacted Motability to see if there was anyway they could relax the rules, as I'll be 24 when ordering my next car in March 2016. They said the rules are the rules, I accepted that.

Can anyone point me to cars that will be enjoyable for me? I have come up with Leon 1.2, a Ford ecoboost 1.0. Maybe the 1.4 Civic if it doesn't feel like a boat with such a small engine.

I like to start thinking a few months before ordering, to explain the purpose of my thread.

Conor
fengpo

Postby akirk » Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:09 pm

if the bhp has a limit - does the weight have a lower limit...
the lower the weight of the car the higher the bhp to weight ratio...

however, I am not totally of the opinion that bhp alone leads to driving pleasure - for me handling is a bigger factor, so perhaps do the research from that angle?

7 years out of date, but this gives you an idea:
http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topi ... 479074&i=0

Alasdair
akirk

Postby fengpo » Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:25 pm

I've been looking at power to weight ratio but it's a mind field. Unless I go for a diesel for enough torque to make the driving experience more enjoyable.

Preferably something more comfortable than the Audi, for trips across country.

I would guess the best handling car out of the options would be a Fiesta. I could be completely wrong. Lots of test drives may be in order I think.
fengpo

Postby akirk » Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:22 pm

you need to think what you mean by comfortable :)
for some people it is air suspension...
for others a car with a big lazy engine
for others it is the suspension setup
for others it might be the size of the car (big absorbing bumps more)

these things are quite personal, and for me there is no car which suits the ways I want to drive at different times etc. - so I have a range of cars... the z3 you saw me in is a lot of fun on a nice sunny day on a country road - it is not comfortable bashing up a motorway for 5 hours which I do every couple of months to friends - generally it is not a comfortable car - the best I had for that was probably my range rovers - and I may get another soon... the skoda octavia is also comfortable in most circumstances, but while it handles well, it doesn't shrink around you in the same way as the z3 - different cars for different purposes...

Alasdair
akirk

Postby fengpo » Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:51 pm

To have the luxury of having a few cars would be nice. To describe what I mean by comfortable, it would be a 5 series. Something to soak the miles up, in comfort. Small cars make me ache badly after a long drive, I've answered my own question that small cars aren't suitable for my needs no longer.

Octavia is a nice car, be good to have the estate I could take my dogs on jollies with me then. They are both Weimaraners so need a considerable amount of room.
fengpo

Postby Pyrolol » Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:54 pm

I tried one of the ecoboost fiestas last year and found it very impressive. It didn't feel slow at all, and I was very impressed by its refinement.
Pyrolol

Postby sussex2 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:13 am

It may seem a bit 'off the wall' but as you mentioned dogs and that you don't like small cars I thought about the Dacia Duster - it sometimes pays to think on the wild side :D
They are after all Renault so the mechanics should be tough enough and their pricing is certainly good.
I'm not bothered about the old Romanians and Bulgarians but the Old Etonians scare me rigid.
sussex2

Postby fengpo » Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:26 am

I'll get a dog guard for them Dave, keep them safe in the boot. I'm off to Skoda when it opens. Seat dealer as well, so I'll ask for a test drive in the Octy.
fengpo

Postby fengpo » Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:28 am

Dacia Duster I add it to my list. Will do what I want fine I guess.
fengpo

Postby Gareth » Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:19 am

fengpo wrote:The more interesting cars are above the bhp cut off which is 115 bhp for under 25's.
Are you able to keep the current car for an extra year?
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby fengpo » Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:03 pm

I am unable to keep the car for an extra year unfortunately due to me driving over 15,000 in it. I went to BMW this morning 1 series lovely car in the flesh. The Motability advisor informed me I was unable to have the car due to it being 116 bhp. On Motability's website it claims the car is 114 bhp and I can order the car through them if I wish. Are Motability being a bit naughty on that front? Seems very pedantic with 1 bhp difference.
fengpo

Postby akirk » Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:27 pm

Depends...
the BMW website is so bad that it is broken and I can't read the figures on it...
but Parkers lists several at 114bhp and none at 116bhp
just ask BMW for the bhp figure, can't see how motorability can argue with official manufacturer figures!

however also on Parkers the 116 diesels at 114 bhp are insurance group 17
motability says under 25 = 115bhp or under & insurance group 16 or under

could this be the issue?

Alasdair
akirk

Postby playtent » Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:00 pm

The Skoda Octavia is an all round great car. I've driven numerous versions from the 1.6D 105bhp, the new 2.0D 150bhp the VRSD both old and new version and the scout 140BHP and they are all brilliant cars. The 105bhp doesn't have a lot of go but then again not many cars that big with 110PS would have.
My friend has a Fiesta 1.0 Eco boost and it's great fun to drive.
playtent

Postby fengpo » Sun Aug 16, 2015 2:11 pm

Alasdair I think you have hit the nail on the head, BMW informed me it was abi group 15 I thought it was strange when you can have group 16 or below. Seems to be arguments involving Motability behind the scenes at the minute. May have something to do with it, Audi have already made their vehicles unable for under 25's to lease due to petty bhp disputes.
fengpo

Postby playtent » Sun Aug 16, 2015 2:35 pm

116D is 115bhp group 15 and the Motibility website says it can be driven by under 25's/
playtent

Next

Return to General Car Chat Forum