Motability car help

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby playtent » Sun Aug 16, 2015 2:45 pm

I had a mini 1275GT which I used to have 2 German shepherds sitting on the back seat behind the roll cage. My mate tried to get in once and my one dog bit him so word spread and I never had to drive my mates anywhere ever again! D
playtent

Postby akirk » Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:09 pm

StressedDave wrote:But you can't exactly fit a pair of Weimis in the back... In fact a chihuahua is probably going to be a bit of a struggle... :mrgreen:

you haven't pushed hard enough :D
I managed 4 big adults in an XJS for a 30 mile trip
and when at school (as teenagers) we managed 13 of us, plus bags, plus wicker hamper of wetsuits in the back of a 109 LR - we couldn't sit in the front as the school porter's dog & bone took up two seats :D

Alasdair
akirk

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:34 pm

Our Greenline Yeti is fairly comfortable to drive, 1.6 diesel putting out 110 hp.

You could probably snag a 1.2 TSI though, they're shockingly good for a petrol!
TheInsanity1234

Postby fengpo » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:21 pm

I found the Yeti a nice car for some reason, maybe because I am a VAG group fan.
fengpo

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:27 pm

I've been in a VW Touran with the 1.2 Bluemotion petrol and you wouldn't believe the engine is only 1.2, it pulls with such verve that you're left with the impression there's a large diesel under the bonnet, but the great thing is you have the benefit of having the large rev-range that petrols are blessed with.
TheInsanity1234

Postby Gareth » Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:43 pm

It would be interesting if there are any VAG cars with better performance from a 1.2 petrol engine than the OP's current car. It looks like the recent 1.4 petrol engines are above the Motability power limit, but it might be worth checking whether the older 1.6 petrol engines are used in any current models.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby fengpo » Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:50 pm

The current engine in my current car, is also in the polo 1.2 tsi. For a tweaked version I'd go for the 1.2 105 ps Monte Carlo fabia petrol.

I don't think it is a grand idea going silly with the revs in these cars, as mentioned I am sure like my car after 5, 5.5k the car starts struggling and decelerating. Being precise with when to take a gear and what gear helps. Good little car to practice overtaking.
fengpo

Postby fengpo » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:41 pm

Just to add Motability have gone out of their way on this one for me. They emailed me after my enquiry, I was confused after visiting the dealer. Motability think the dealer quoted not bhp but ps. Motability contacted their BMW account manager who advised I can order the car if I wish. The 1 series in the showroom black with optional red leather looked awesome. I'd be tempted to have the car in red, without the red leather.

I will pass my findings onto BMW Sytner Newport, if it avoids other Motability customers feeling disappointed then happy days. The one Motability customer (under 25) was distraught when he had his application rejected. I had an application for a Mini Cooper rejected a few years back. Made myself and the Motability advisor feel awkward.
fengpo

Postby TerryTibbs » Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:43 pm

Not aware what cars are on offer to you and you said you're not after something too small, but I've got a Ford Fiesta Titanium on lease and it's a fantastic little car, very nice to drive, comfy and pretty nippy for a 1.6L engine, 104bhp. I'm 6'2'' and been into my weight lifting for a few years so as you can imagine I wouldn't fit into smaller cars, but this one is fine for me. Either that or maybe consider a Focus, basically a Fiesta but bigger. Always test drive one to see if it's right for you before signing the contract.
TerryTibbs

Previous

Return to General Car Chat Forum