Puncture repair products

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby GS » Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:04 pm

Hello

Does anyone know of a puncture repair product they would recommend?

I'm talking about one of the 'can in the boot' type things which you can put into a punctured tyre at the roadside.

Ideally, something which you have used as opposed to something you have heard about.

Thanks
GS
GS

Postby jont » Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:17 pm

I've used Tyreweld, although it didn't really work on a gash in the sidewall :cry: It also means tyre places don't like repairing the tyre afterwards (as it's full of gunk).

Another option is something like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BB7V_DzoGQo

I've bought one of these kits, although I've not had to use it in anger. Had good reports on the Lotus forum I'm on, including people who have then used the car on track :lol:
jont

Postby GS » Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:08 pm

jont wrote:..............

Another option is something like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BB7V_DzoGQo

I've bought one of these kits, although I've not had to use it in anger. Had good reports on the Lotus forum I'm on, including people who have then used the car on track :lol:

Where did you get it from and how much was it? I didn't think this type of repair was still legal in this country!

I've had mixed results with Tyreweld that's why I'm asking if others have had any success with anything else.

Has anyone used the BMW supplied repair 'gunk' stuff?

Thanks
GS
GS

Postby jont » Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:16 pm

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001 ... E_AMZLdp_3

I've got a set of old tyres on rims that will shortly be discarded to fit winters, so I might have a go on one of those while I've got a tyre I can afford to destroy :lol:

Legality - IIRC 2 repairs per tyre are acceptable (of the type done by tyre places - less sure about these self-repairs). Disclaimers on these say "not for road use", but as I say, people have reported racing on them without issue, and if I'm up in the Highlands with no spare, then I'd rather have a way of remobilising the car. You'll still need a pump/compressor to get the pressure back.
jont

Postby jont » Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:26 pm

jont wrote:I've got a set of old tyres on rims that will shortly be discarded to fit winters, so I might have a go on one of those while I've got a tyre I can afford to destroy :lol:

Just been out to try this. Biggest problem - making the hole big enough to get the reamer into (gave up hammering a nail in, started with 3mm drill, moved to 4mm drill, and that did the trick in terms of making a hole big enough to put the reamer through with some effort). Sticky stuff in, tyre returned to 30psi. Will check tomorrow evening to see if it's still holding pressure, but given it was pumped up fairly quickly with a footpump, if it is leaking, it ain't much.

Useful bits to add to the kit- pliers for actually removing a nail/screw, and disposable gloves, 'cos the odds are a used tyre will be manky and the sticky stuff certainly is. Obviously you'll also need a footpump/compressor. I suspect it could even be done on the car without removing the wheel if you had to (but you'll probably still want a jack to help with access). You /may/ want a stanley knife to cut the sticky stuff flush to the tyre - otherwise I suspect it will wear off fairly quickly.

Upside it obviously that it doesn't leave gunk all over the alloy, so when it does come to changing it should be a simpler job for the tyre fitter.
jont

Postby triquet » Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:40 pm

I am beginning to see why I like a full-size spare ... :shock:
Jim
Offshore Engineer and Master of Music
triquet

Postby jont » Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:42 pm

triquet wrote:I am beginning to see why I like a full-size spare ... :shock:

/pats Caterham. The first car I've had in about 7 or 8 years with one :lol:
jont

Postby jont » Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:08 pm

24 hours on, and it's lost maybe 0.5-1PSI. So fairly happy with that. Probably not a permanent solution, but seems preferable and probably longer lasting than a can of goop.
jont

Postby XtraRaptor » Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:42 pm

I use Stop & Go on the bikes, when I first got the kit, I tested it on a puncture I had in the car, it was easy to use, needed no glue, and tyre stayed at pressure for over 20,000 miles. I carry it in the car now, and offer to assist anyone on a bike with a puncture I see when out & about.
XtraRaptor

Return to General Car Chat Forum