My child's first car — I'm so worried!

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby fValerie » Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:56 am

I'm new to posting in forums but I desperately need advice. My son has recently received his driver license. I'm so worried about him driving and I can't be with him all the time. Does anybody use any tracking devices to monitor your teens driving? What kind of a device do you recommend?
fValerie

Postby Advanced Driving » Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:43 pm

Have you tried Googling "Tracking devices for drivers"?

I am note sure of any personally - but they must be out there. Also some insurers will install a sort of blackbox, which will help reduce your sons premium if he drives in a safe way. It measures speed, cornering forces etc...that could be an option...
Advanced Driving

Postby jont » Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:45 pm

Advanced Driving wrote:Also some insurers will install a sort of blackbox, which will help reduce your sons premium if he drives in a way compliant with their arbitrary and undisclosed measures. It measures speed, cornering forces etc...that could be an option...

/efa :roll:
jont

Postby Advanced Driving » Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:47 pm

jont wrote:
Advanced Driving wrote:Also some insurers will install a sort of blackbox, which will help reduce your sons premium if he drives in a way compliant with their arbitrary and undisclosed measures. It measures speed, cornering forces etc...that could be an option...

/efa :roll:

We both know these black boxes are not fool proof, but its just a suggestion...
Advanced Driving

Postby Gareth » Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:48 pm

fValerie wrote:My son has recently received his driver license. I'm so worried about him driving and I can't be with him all the time.

Your question suggests there's a good chance he lives with you. If you don't provide him a car to drive, and he has to fund his car and all its running costs, he's likely to value it more and (may) take better care when driving. Even more likely after he's had his first accident.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby TripleS » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:03 pm

fValerie wrote:I'm new to posting in forums but I desperately need advice. My son has recently received his driver license. I'm so worried about him driving and I can't be with him all the time. Does anybody use any tracking devices to monitor your teens driving? What kind of a device do you recommend?

I'm sorry I can't help you with answers to your specific questions, but can you not obtain sufficient reassurance by talking to your son and trying to promote a good and safe attitude to the subject? What about spending some time driving with him and talking about aspects of driving as you encounter real situations on the road? It's by no means foolproof, youngsters will be youngsters of course, but we now seem to feel that attitude is a major factor in the degree of risk faced (or created) by young drivers, so it might be worth putting some effort into establishing a good attitude and approach to the subject.

Another thing you might try is introducing your son to a forum for driving enthusiasts, such as this one; and there are others, of course.... :wink: That might be helpful in the circumstances, but if he develops the ambition to be a good driver, and keep working at it, rather than thinking that he's done all that's necessary having received his licence, that should stand him in good stead.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby trashbat » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:50 pm

So, the basics. Accidents aren't a certainty. The chances of him having one are mostly driven not by his incompetence or newness to driving, but by his behaviour - and his behaviour when on his own or with his mates, not with you.

Insurance black boxes might give him a motivator to reign it in, but really it comes from attitude rather than an attempt at a technological solution.

Only you are well positioned to judge his suitability in that area. Others are better positioned than I to suggest ways of fostering a responsible attitude.
Rob - IAM F1RST, Alfa Romeo 156 JTS
trashbat

Postby revian » Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:20 pm

I quite understand the concern. I've 'been there' twice.

I think most parents are stressed when their offspring goes out on their own for the first time (or with their friends that worry us!).

But... He has passed his test and although he has much to learn.... you'll also need to learn to trust him. They don't all go out and kill themselves or others. I fancied killing mine once or twice but that doesn't count :D

Keep the conversation going around the area of trust and openness. Ask him how it's going but without suggesting it's going badly..

And 'yes' to TripleS suggestions.

Ian
Wirral
revian

Postby Kimosabe » Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:40 pm

The solution to better/safer driving, or call it what you will, is education. Technology is going to engender a fear factor of being caught doing something. That doesn't necessarily equate to safer driving through an evolution of ideas that have developed through experience, but rather a more negative pressure that may well feel as if he is being prevented from doing something. Some people do not react well to being told that they are being watched and their every move and mistake will result in a report and financial loss, ie a fine by way of increased insurance premiums. He may well be a safe driver who just needs some time and experience in order to develop.

As you are naturally concerned for your Son's safety, perhaps consider suggesting to him that he engages with members of the Advanced Driving community (online and in person) who will be able to enable him to develop and maintain safer driving habits. I'm sure there are people on various Advanced Driving forums who would be more than happy to go out for drives with him. Perhaps consider buying him a gift IAM (Institute of Advanced Motorists) RoSPA driving course?

Hope this helps.
A wise man once told me that "it depends". I sometimes agree.
Kimosabe

Postby fValerie » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:54 am

But I want know that my teen child is in safety. And if something happens I will receive a notification on my pnone. Or I will be able to watch his car's condition.
fValerie

Postby Gareth » Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:26 am

It's interesting comparing our responses with those on other fora (teenhelp.org, city-data.com) - a number of the comments speak to trust issues - but I'm not sure fValerie has added anything to explain their concerns.
Gareth

Postby trashbat » Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:30 am

Ah. It reads a bit like spam, but I'm not sure what the motive would be.
Rob - IAM F1RST, Alfa Romeo 156 JTS
trashbat

Postby sussex2 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:22 pm

fValerie wrote:I'm new to posting in forums but I desperately need advice. My son has recently received his driver license. I'm so worried about him driving and I can't be with him all the time. Does anybody use any tracking devices to monitor your teens driving? What kind of a device do you recommend?

Your post does not sound/is not worded as if it is UK based; am I correct?
Why would you want to monitor/micro manage your son? It seems to track his every move.
I wonder what age your son is and what training in driving he has had? You say he received his license (sic) but did he pass any tests to achieve it?
Your son is a young man and that status in life comes with some risks. I honestly and frankly do not understand why attaching him to a device (which can probably be easily circumvented) will assist him in any way.
I'm not bothered about the old Romanians and Bulgarians but the Old Etonians scare me rigid.
sussex2

Postby MrToad » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:08 pm

trashbat wrote:Ah. It reads a bit like spam, but I'm not sure what the motive would be.

I reckon the OP will shortly find a tracking solution and helpfully share a link to it.
Do less, better.
MrToad

Postby Gareth » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:12 pm

MrToad wrote:I reckon the OP will shortly find a tracking solution and helpfully share a link to it.

If not, maybe there's a market to be exploited :lol:
Gareth

Return to General Car Chat Forum