Results so far.....

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby Advanced Driving » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:44 am

Hi All

As you know we are running a survey on ADUK, asking a number of questions about motoring in the UK, and advanced driving. Still only early days but here is results of one of the questions..so far.....Will be providing more over time and eventually all the results.

Probably no surprise a lack of driver education is considered the largest risk facing road safety in the UK.

Advanced Driving

Postby cufarley » Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:56 am

Percentages are all well and good but you're going to have to provide the actual number of responses in order for it to mean anything.
cufarley

Postby Gareth » Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:21 pm

cufarley wrote:Percentages are all well and good but you're going to have to provide the actual number of responses in order for it to mean anything.

The shortest category looks like 2% and a couple look like 9% which suggests that, at a minimum, there was one respondent per %.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby Advanced Driving » Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:41 pm

The sample is still very small - Only 45 people have taken this over 5 days. So results are still a long way off before a real trend emerges. Will be running it for most of this year.
Advanced Driving

Postby waremark » Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:21 pm

What about 'no simple answer'?

If lack of education is the top scoring issue,what does that mean? Does it mean people don't think new drivers can drive safely when they have just passed their test, if they choose to do so? (I believe recent drivers mostly crash when they decide to drive differently, and their confidence level has increased ahead of their skill). Does it mean the process leading up to the test does not develop habits thoroughly enough for them to be maintained after the test? Does it mean that reinforcement education is required over a driving lifetime (note the difficulty of obtaining insurance discounts for taking further driver training)? Or what?
waremark

Postby Laurence Jacquemin » Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:57 pm

Agree with waremark, I did not select driver education as it is not directly driver education (which to me means driving lesson) causing the problems it is learner drivers have had 17 years of bad habits built into their head from seeing parents speeding, people jumping red lights to the driving test just being seen as a hurdle to over come and once passed you can speed jump light and such like, just don't get caught.

To combat this more education in schools is needed, as well as possible restrictions for a new driver or raised age for learning, as the risk area of humans brain is not fully until mid twenties. So perhaps something like getting a provisional at 17 but you can't take a test until you have driven for over a year or are 18. Also the current set of drivers need to be re-educated, with more policing of the roads and/or stricter fines, for example an instant ban if caught using a mobile while driving. Re-testing every 10 years could also help, but would be very hard to implement.
DVSA ADI (www.drivingcrawley.co.uk)
IAM Masters, DIAmond Advanced, RoSPA Gold
Laurence Jacquemin

Postby Gareth » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:15 am

I seem to get the survey request most times I visit this forum, and it's getting a bit annoying.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby Horse » Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:04 pm

Gareth wrote:I seem to get the survey request most times I visit this forum, and it's getting a bit annoying.

How annoyed are you, where 10 is 'boils my urine' and 1 is 'here we go again'?

By 'most ', is that . . .

;)
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Return to General Car Chat Forum