I passed

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby Jez » Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:38 pm

I'm new again - forgot my old username so I can't tell you who I was, but I'm back anyway :D. The day before my test was booked I blew up the gearbox in the old Saab and had to cancel it. 2 months later I got the car back on a Friday, had an urgent refresher session with my observer the next day and then spent all weekend practicing until I was doing a commentary in my sleep. 2 days later I took the IAM test and passed, to my amazement. I got my certificate through today. I got some very useful tips off this forum, and hopefully will continue to do so.
Jez

Postby MikeG » Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:13 pm

Hi Jez,
Nice one mate. Get that badge on display, you've earned it.

Mike
MikeG

Postby Nigel » Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:14 pm

Congratulations...and welcome back.

Where do you get your Saab stuff from ?

My mate has a company called McDonald classic cars, and he restores the old ones, the old two strokes etc.
Nigel

Postby Roadcraft » Wed Oct 12, 2005 6:09 am

well done indeed.... :D

Now you need to look at taking your RoSPA test......

www.roada.org.uk
Roadcraft

Postby AdamW » Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:04 am

Well done Jez.

:D
AdamW

Postby Jez » Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:24 pm

Cheers everyone. I'm very pleased to have passed, but am not resting on my laurels. Every day I go out it seems I make some minor mistake, or do something that I later think I could have done better, so I'm trying to maintain the standard. I will definitely get myself reassessed by my group in a year or two.

I thought about RoSPA, and may well have a go at some point. I just bought a book called Road Sense - the Art of Advanced Driving by Doug Holland, and he seems to be RoSPA, so it'll be an interesting angle on things.

Nigel wrote:Where do you get your Saab stuff from?

I mostly use an online company called www.partsforsaabs.com. For second hand bits Two Stroke to Turbo are very good. I'll keep an eye out for McDonald as well.
Jez

Postby vonhosen » Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:35 pm

Jez wrote:Cheers everyone. I'm very pleased to have passed, but am not resting on my laurels. Every day I go out it seems I make some minor mistake, or do something that I later think I could have done better, so I'm trying to maintain the standard. I will definitely get myself reassessed by my group in a year or two.

I thought about RoSPA, and may well have a go at some point. I just bought a book called Road Sense - the Art of Advanced Driving by Doug Holland, and he seems to be RoSPA, so it'll be an interesting angle on things.

Congratulations.

If you ever get to do the perfect drive let me know because I've never done or seen one :lol:
Any views expressed are mine & mine alone.
I do not represent my employer or these forums.
vonhosen

Postby Jez » Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:59 pm

Perfection may be a little optimistic. What was ironic was that upon leaving the examiner in the car park, the first red light I came to, just before coming to a halt, I reached for the gear lever before I could see it was clear to proceed. It's a bad habit that occured for the first time within minutes of passing, and I'm still fighting it now.

I'll settle for continual development, I think.
Jez

Postby Lynne » Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:59 pm

Congratulations from me too Jez :)

Lynne
ADI
RoSPA Diploma in Advanced Driving Instruction

Thankyou for being courteous to horses and riders :)
Lynne

Return to General Car Chat Forum