Portablilty of RoSPA pass

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby BigJim » Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:09 pm

Here's a strange situation. I know that most young guys(I'm 19) Gain membership of the IAM through their skill for life package and then go on to take the RoSPA test.

However, I've passed the RoSPA test but never been anywhere near IAM.

Could I join IAM on the strength of my RoSPA silver, or would I need to take their test, which is essentially identical?
BigJim

Postby James » Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:19 pm

You will need to take the test. The only exemption is afforded to qualified police drivers. The test will not be identical, there will be subtle differences in areas. The IAM will have their own "style" as will all the other organisations.
James

Postby Darren » Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:57 pm

BigJim wrote:Here's a strange situation. I know that most young guys(I'm 19) Gain membership of the IAM through their skill for life package and then go on to take the RoSPA test.

However, I've passed the RoSPA test but never been anywhere near IAM.

Could I join IAM on the strength of my RoSPA silver, or would I need to take their test, which is essentially identical?

Technically you need to take their test. However, can I be biased? Don't bother back tracking for IAM, it's arguable that you get better membership benefits if your a member here than from the IAM anyway. Keep that up, and stick with your RoSPA Silver, try and improve it to Gold and then go for HPC.
Darren

Postby GS » Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:23 pm

James what are the subtal differences between RoSPA and IAM tests ?
GS
GS

Postby Rick » Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:25 pm

I thought ADI's and DSA LGV register holders were able to get the badge too. And i suppose M/C insructors. Maybe i'm wrong, i'm sure Nigel will know.
Rick

Postby GS » Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:51 pm

There are other exemptions to IAM membership other than a police qualification.
GS
GS

Postby James » Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:26 pm

Don't know all the exemptions for IAM, guess they will be afforded ot those that already have some sort of qualification other than a civilian instituional one like Rospa e.t.c.

I dont know the differences between Rospa and IAM, although I am led to believe that Rospa is to a higher standard.
James

Postby MikeB » Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:05 pm

Having been a Roadar (Rospa) Observer/member since 1965 (old codger soon?) I would say that a Rospa silver is somewhere near to an I.A.M. pass although some who I have known to pass the I.A.M. test where, I think, nearer to Roadar bronze level.

To get a Gold pass in Roadar one would have to drive consistently and systematically to a good advanced level, with no highs and lows- as good at the end as at the start.

It used to be said that the examiner would be happy to potentially lend his car to a Gold driver.

Keep with Roadar 'cos you get a written report every three years after your re-test, could get a Gold if you really try and as a goal save your pennies and do H.P.C. I waited 25 years after first reading about H.P.C. - wish I'd done it sooner.

You will be tested by 'a cop' - acronyn for Anticipation,Concentration, Observation & Plannig - its what you need to drive well.

Cheers,
MikeB Mid-Cheshire
MikeB

Postby crr003 » Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:35 pm

GS wrote:There are other exemptions to IAM membership other than a police qualification.

But ADI is not one of them. Otherwise we have to refund a few!
crr003

Postby Rick » Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:48 pm

I'm sure my work colleague has claimed his IAM with his DSA LGV vol reg, i can't see why that would be better than an ADI qual for the car. I did say i wasn't sure though. Seems odd. What level of police driver qual is required to get an exemption?
Rick

Postby James » Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:50 pm

Rick wrote:I'm sure my work colleague has claimed his IAM with his DSA LGV vol reg, i can't see why that would be better than an ADI qual for the car. I did say i wasn't sure though. Seems odd. What level of police driver qual is required to get an exemption?

Response Driver +
James

Postby MGF » Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:46 pm

I am currently training for membership with both organisations and if anything would say there is more of a difference between individual observers than there is between the two organisations.

What is attractive about Roada is that you are graded so can try and improve and also you have to be re-tested every three years. This fits more with the ethos of advanced driving that we are all still learning.
MGF

Postby ScoobyChris » Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:08 pm

I went with RoSPA mainly because of cost and also because it was graded so I would be rewarded for a good drive, rather than just getting a pass/fail :D

Very happy I did so now :lol:

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby rodericksdad » Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:21 pm

MikeB wrote:
To get a Gold pass in Roadar one would have to drive consistently and systematically to a good advanced level, with no highs and lows- as good at the end as at the start.
Cheers,

off on a tangent slightly,i have put the above into practice every day on the vehicle that i drive at work (large bus),and to do it all day at the end of the shift(8-9hrs)i am mentally wrecked,but it does seem to be getting better as time goes by,and i have the added pleasure of knowing that tommorow i can try and put right any daft mistakes that i made today,or better it even more or at leas keep trying if you know what i mean,
Best regards,Clive.
rodericksdad

Postby keats52 » Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:26 pm

MGF wrote:I am currently training for membership with both organisations and if anything would say there is more of a difference between individual observers than there is between the two organisations.

What is attractive about Roada is that you are graded so can try and improve and also you have to be re-tested every three years. This fits more with the ethos of advanced driving that we are all still learning.

Is there really any advantage to being a member of both groups?
keats52

Next

Return to General Car Chat Forum