DSA driving test

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

DSA Test...

Pass
91%
Fail
9%

Total votes : 23

Postby ScoobyChris » Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:36 am

I asked this on another forum and got some interesting results/comments so I thought I'd ask it here. If you were asked to sit your DSA driving test today, do you think you'd pass? :D

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby SammyTheSnake » Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:13 am

I thought we had a real scoop, then, with 100% "fail" until I realised I was the only one who'd voted :p

I voted fail because I've not yet taken my DSA test (for car, at least)

Slightly less :wink:-ly I reckon I could pass my motorbike test easily enough. I don't remember any of it being that challenging on the day except the "turn in the road" which I've scarcely had need for since, but I reckon I could pull off 9 times out of 10 now anyway...

Cheers & God blesss
Sam "SammyTheSnake" Penny
DSA A 2003/08/01 - first go
Zach 2003-2006 - 1995 Diversion 600
DSA B 2007/03/05 - second go
Ninny 2007-2008 - Focus TDDI
Unnamed 2008- Mk3 1.4 Golf
http://www.sampenny.co.uk/
SammyTheSnake

Postby andy ellis » Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:51 am

I know what they want.....
andy ellis

Postby MiniClubmanEstate » Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:36 pm

I know I can pass a DSA Car test. All you have to do is maintain the safety position for every bend, indicate for every junction and always exit roundabouts in the left lane unless it's a spiral roundabout or there's somebody up your inside.
However as soon as I can afford to I'm going to try and pass an IAM test without commentary.
Andrew: PCV, IAM Car
Smoky - Pronounced as Smokey, a unique little Mini.
MiniClubmanEstate

Postby Lynne » Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:47 pm

MiniClubmanEstate wrote:I know I can pass a DSA Car test. All you have to do is maintain the safety position for every bend, indicate for every junction and always exit roundabouts in the left lane unless it's a spiral roundabout or there's somebody up your inside.

That it is it? :shock:
ADI
RoSPA Diploma in Advanced Driving Instruction

Thankyou for being courteous to horses and riders :)
Lynne

Postby MiniClubmanEstate » Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:08 pm

Obviosly not it completly, but I'd imagine that your average Advanced driver could pass with a few changes to their driving?, Verry badly put by me but that's all I'm getting at.

Just out of interest how do you find switching driving styles?
Andrew: PCV, IAM Car
Smoky - Pronounced as Smokey, a unique little Mini.
MiniClubmanEstate

Postby Lynne » Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:15 pm

No problem. I always drive 'Roadcraft' and teach what I can of it just making necessary changes for DSA requirements. That's all. :D
ADI
RoSPA Diploma in Advanced Driving Instruction

Thankyou for being courteous to horses and riders :)
Lynne

Postby Sparky » Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:19 pm

Same here Lynne, just break the system down to make it easy for a learner.

Out of interest has anyone who has passed the test tried the HPT test, course I know you will have Lynne.

Hmmmm its interesting!!!!!
Sparky

Postby Advanced Roadcraft » Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:41 pm

ScoobyChris wrote:I asked this on another forum and got some interesting results/comments so I thought I'd ask it here. If you were asked to sit your DSA driving test today, do you think you'd pass? :D

Chris

I voted 'Yes'...and I think it's true...but I'd sure have to modify my driving style!
Best, B
Car: Saab 9.3 Coupe
Bikes: Honda Deauville; Suzuki Bugman 400
Advanced Roadcraft

Postby SammyTheSnake » Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:25 pm

Lynne wrote:just making necessary changes for DSA requirements.

It strikes me as odd that there should be anything that fits into this category.

One that springs to mind is the road positioning I have been taught by my driving instructor: always 1 metre from the kerb (or parked car, if I'm going around one) which goes completely against every instinct I have which says "present yourself, avoid going close to junctions, improve vision, avoid potholes, shorten/straighten curves" etc.

On the other hand, I was plesantly surprised to hear my instructor saying things like "don't bother indicating if there's nobody to see"...

Cheers & God bless
SammyTheSnake

Postby Gareth » Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:38 pm

SammyTheSnake wrote:

It strikes me as odd that there should be anything that fits into this category.

When StressedDave was doing his ADI, I'm pretty sure I heard him complaining that it had been a long time since he'd had to drive so badly :wink:

The problem is there are subtle differences in the rules. The DSA appears to expect a driver to signal at the slightest provocation and follow lane markings even when there is no legal requirement to do so.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby Advanced Roadcraft » Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:05 pm

SammyTheSnake wrote:

Well...let me see (purely personally, of course)...approach lines and lane selection on entering RABs; not 'obeying' LH & RH lane turn markings where not reinforced by filters at ATS; positioning for view; not signalling to nobody; not changing up in town driving at the absolute earliest opportunity; using intermediate gear hold rather than leaving an auto in D most of the time; reversing using mirrors; not 'obeying' advisory temporary speed 'limits'; using hazard lights where useful to others, rather than strict HC 'rules'; using accel sense to slow, rather than brakes; emergency stop without disengaging the clutch until the end; refusal to learn the HC braking distances chart (ask me why!); entering ghost islands where bounded only by broken white lines; bold position on passing parked vehicles; 'staightening' some mini RABs and intruding onto the paint...

Just a few of the things I do (NO, sillies, not all the time - just when appropriate) that I understand (no doubt some ADIs will be along to tell me if I am wrong!) that the DSA frowns upon.
Best, B
Advanced Roadcraft

Postby SammyTheSnake » Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:24 pm

Advanced Roadcraft wrote:
SammyTheSnake wrote:

I'd just like to clarify, in case anyone misunderstood me, I consider this a failing on the part of the DSA test. Not espousing the following techniques during a DSA test!
Advanced Roadcraft wrote:Well...let me see (purely personally, of course)...approach lines and lane selection on entering RABs; not 'obeying' LH & RH lane turn markings where not reinforced by filters at ATS; positioning for view; not signalling to nobody; not changing up in town driving at the absolute earliest opportunity;

I don't think that last one is quite fair, indeed, I was advised by my instructor to be a litle more liberal with the lower gears...

Advanced Roadcraft wrote:using intermediate gear hold rather than leaving an auto in D most of the time; reversing using mirrors; not 'obeying' advisory temporary speed 'limits';

When I did my Cat A test, my instructor told me off for doign 20mph in a "Loose chippings, max speed 20" zone, telling me the speed limit wasn't compulsory. It was in an NSL, though, so maybe it'd be different in different circumstances...

Advanced Roadcraft wrote:using hazard lights where useful to others, rather than strict HC 'rules'; using accel sense to slow, rather than brakes; emergency stop without disengaging the clutch until the end;

This is one of the things I most struggle with, surely if you're using engine braking (in *addition* to the brakes!) you'll get a smoother stop (and less chance of a lock up) than otherwise, so why on earth would the DSA recommend you throw those advantages out the window?

Advanced Roadcraft wrote:refusal to learn the HC braking distances chart (ask me why!);

Agreed, though it can be pretty difficult to get a good idea of real life stopping distances without a regular need to use maximum braking, and in the absence of real life experience, a conservative estimate is certainly better than pure guesswork!

Advanced Roadcraft wrote:entering ghost islands where bounded only by broken white lines;

I'm not sure what you mean by this, care to elaborate?

Advanced Roadcraft wrote:bold position on passing parked vehicles; 'staightening' some mini RABs and intruding onto the paint...

Just a few of the things I do (NO, sillies, not all the time - just when appropriate) that I understand (no doubt some ADIs will be along to tell me if I am wrong!) that the DSA frowns upon.

I think a lot of these differences (not all) actually make some sense after I think about it a bit. Teaching a beginner techniques that can only be used with extreme care is just asking for trouble...

Cheers & God bless
SammyTheSnake

Postby LEF » Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:01 pm

MiniClubmanEstate wrote:However as soon as I can afford to I'm going to try and pass an IAM test without commentary.

I don't understand - are you particularly saying you AREN'T going to do commentary if invited to :?: Is there any particular reason for this :?: I'm genuinely interested - have you got certain principles etc :?:

Or have i totally mis-read what you've put :?: :oops:
LEF

Postby Advanced Roadcraft » Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:55 am

SammyTheSnake wrote:
Advanced Roadcraft wrote:entering ghost islands where bounded only by broken white lines;

I'm not sure what you mean by this, care to elaborate?

Sammy: I was referring to the guidelines in the Highway Code (#109): '[i]Areas of white diagonal stripes...painted on the road...If bordered by a broken white line, you should not enter the area unless it s necessary and you can see that it is safe to do so.'[/i]
(And see the other two bullet points in the same section.)

Best, B
Best, B
Advanced Roadcraft

Next

Return to General Car Chat Forum