Which of these DVDs do you rate most highly and why?

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Best DVD to aid in tuition?

Roadcraft
27%
Cadence
18%
Bespoke Commentary
14%
Bespoke Advanced Roadcraft
41%

Total votes : 22

Postby stephenperry » Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:09 pm

Exactly as it says, but more for their training material rather than high production values

I'm considering buying either the Cadence commentary film, the Bespoke commentary film or the Bespoke Advanced Roadcraft film, I already have Roadcraft, both book and DVD - are these other films worth the additional investment?

Any other recommendations for books or DVDs?
Alpina B10 3.3 #118 : Ford Sierra XR4i : Peugeot 307 HDi 90 S
stephenperry

Postby ScoobyChris » Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:37 pm

IMHO, they all have things going for them and I have 3 of them... :D

I'd rate the ones I have as:

1. Bespoke Commentary
2. Cadence Commentary
3. Roadcraft

I rated Bespoke above Cadence because Bespoke is more accessible to me as it shows 3 commentary styles as well as covering motorways.

Roadcraft is good at formalising what is shown in the book, but isn't really that in depth :D

I'd be interested to see a review of the Bespoke Advanced Roadcraft DVD as I'm not sure how useful it would be to me :D

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby Roadcraft » Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:12 pm

I've never seen any of them..

I'd like to.
Roadcraft

Postby stephenperry » Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:57 pm

pm sent
stephenperry

Postby James » Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:53 pm

Me neither, are they any good?
James

Postby Lady Godiva » Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:59 am

stephenperry wrote:Exactly as it says, but more for their training material rather than high production values

I'm considering buying either the Cadence commentary film, the Bespoke commentary film or the Bespoke Advanced Roadcraft film, I already have Roadcraft, both book and DVD - are these other films worth the additional investment?

Any other recommendations for books or DVDs?

Dear Stephen - one good book I can recommend is "Expert Driving the Police Way" by John Miles. First published 1970 it is slightly dated, but still relevant today. I got mine second hand on Amazon for £1.50, which was less than the postage !!!

John was the first manager of the High Performance Course when it was set up by Denise McCann, (who was in charge of the BSM at that time). Later he became the president of the High Performance Club, from 1981-1991, and then was patron until his death in 1997 (many thanks to Gareth for that info).

Another good book is 'Expert Driving' by Paul Ripley (currently about £10 new).

I've also got the Cadence and the Roadcraft DVD, both of which I liked, and I will be getting the Bespoke DVD at some point.

Can I point out that I am a novice, and better at shopping than Advanced Driving, so my recommendations to should be taken as suitable for those at my level. If you are truly Advanced, you may learn less than I do, although you would still find them interesting I'm sure. Also, I have found that most of the books say the same thing (which you would expect) but the little differences in style will suit different people.

Regards
Sally

P.S. Don't forget that Roadcraft still covers everything you need to make every drive safe, systematic, smooth, with appropriate speed and with sparkle. It's just that it's quite interesting to read different books.
Lady Godiva

Postby stephenperry » Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:48 pm

If I buy the Bespoke Advanced Roadcraft will anyone be willing to swap a copy for a copy of their Cadence or Bespoke commentary DVDs?
stephenperry

Postby stephenperry » Sat Sep 16, 2006 2:20 pm

I've ordered the Bespoke Advanced Roadcraft DVD, i'll post a summary of what it's like along with some screenshots when I get it
stephenperry

Postby stephenperry » Sat Sep 16, 2006 3:01 pm

I've just ordered the Bespoke Commentary DVD too so if anyone wants a copy of both of them in exchange for a copy of their Cadence Commentary DVD pm me (pm me as well if you're not sure how to make a copy of your DVD)
stephenperry

Postby Lady Godiva » Sat Sep 16, 2006 3:42 pm

stephenperry wrote:
I've just ordered the Bespoke Commentary DVD too so if anyone wants a copy of both of them in exchange for a copy of their Cadence Commentary DVD pm me (pm me as well if you're not sure how to make a copy of your DVD)

Dear Stephen - alternatively you could stop encouraging people to make copies, and encourage them to buy their own, thereby supporting Bespoke, Cadence and all the rest.

Susie at Cadence doesn't spend all day getting her nails dirty, just to find out that you are saving the £10-£12 pounds it costs for the DVD.

Regards
Sally

P.S. If you are joking about the above, please accept my apologies, as I don't think I have a very good sense of humour.

P.P.S. If you are not joking about the above, I will be around to chastise you later.
Lady Godiva

Postby brianhaddon » Sat Sep 16, 2006 6:01 pm

I have the Cadence Commentary DVD and both the Bespoke DVDs. The Advanced Roadcraft one arrived this morning and from what I have seen so far is excellent. Indeed all three DVDs are excellent and well worth the money. Hugh and Mark have slightly different styles in their presentation so I have decided not to vote as I can't make my mind up which I prefer. I do not have Roadcraft on DVD but on Video (I suppose the content is no different) and if forced to choose would say I prefer the DVDs that I have above the video.
Brian Haddon
brianhaddon

Postby TripleS » Sat Sep 16, 2006 6:03 pm

Lady Godiva wrote:
stephenperry wrote:

Dear Stephen - alternatively you could stop encouraging people to make copies, and encourage them to buy their own, thereby supporting Bespoke, Cadence and all the rest.

Susie at Cadence doesn't spend all day getting her nails dirty, just to find out that you are saving the £10-£12 pounds it costs for the DVD.

Regards
Sally

P.S. If you are joking about the above, please accept my apologies, as I don't think I have a very good sense of humour.

P.P.S. If you are not joking about the above, I will be around to chastise you later.

...and that is a risk I would not run if I were you Stephen.

Best wishes all,
Dave. :P
TripleS

Postby stephenperry » Sat Sep 16, 2006 6:13 pm

Thanks for the tipoff Dave :lol:

a fair point well made Sally, sorry :oops:
Last edited by stephenperry on Sat Sep 16, 2006 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stephenperry

Postby stephenperry » Sat Sep 16, 2006 6:17 pm

brianhaddon wrote:I do not have Roadcraft on DVD but on Video (I suppose the content is no different) and if forced to choose would say I prefer the DVDs that I have above the video.
Brian Haddon

I don't think they've released RoadCraft officially on DVD yet, I did mine from the original VHS tape, sorry I should have said that at the start
stephenperry

Postby The Thinker » Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:18 am

I'm sure they have as I seen a copy in HM stationary office, and the IAM sell it. Can't find it on amazon though.
The Thinker

Next

Return to General Car Chat Forum