When it says BUSES ONLY, it means BUSES ONLY

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby Roadcraft » Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:43 pm

A superb clip to show the nobrainers out there why there are signs in place on our roads...

http://www.break.com/index/trying_to_ou ... block.html

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Roadcraft

Postby ipsg.glf » Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:47 pm

RC

I think there must be a degree of confusion on the part of the people who try to jump the barriers - I wonder why there are some cars permitted the other side of the barrier. (See very beginning of the clip).

Plus, these barriers do look s though they could inflict serious injury. Maybe a bus lane camera would be better?
ipsg.glf

Postby martine » Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:57 pm

Superb! I bet is caused lots of expensive damage as well. Love the way the female passenger gets out immediately and exits stage right.

Don't know where it is but it's obviously UK - they do have these in Bath city centre.

Got any more 'interesting' clips Roadcraft?
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby Roadcraft » Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:57 pm

ipsg.glf wrote:RC

I think there must be a degree of confusion on the part of the people who try to jump the barriers - I wonder why there are some cars permitted the other side of the barrier. (See very beginning of the clip).

The confusement is born out of idleness usually. I want to get just that bit nearer the shops. Or it's a long way around town on the ring road. Lets just nip through here.

I think the fact that the silver car in the first incident first draws up to the barriers, has a look and then later rushes in behind the bus.... is all that is needed to realise what they were trying to do.

Very Mr Bean like.

ipsg.glf wrote:Plus, these barriers do look s though they could inflict serious injury. Maybe a bus lane camera would be better?

What? Another revenue maker for the masses to roll their eyes at ?

No, these barriers seem to do the trick perfectly :) There are some in my town for bus routes through the town and also for certain pedestrian zones at relevant times. So that only those permitted vehicles are allowed through. Normally, there's a talk station adjacent to the barrier with a buzzer/CCTV to the town hall.

Permitted vehicles only are seen in those areas, unlike when there are only signs up and no barriers. :)
Roadcraft

Postby MiniClubmanEstate » Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:01 pm

I wish they'd put them the bus-lane lines in Edinburgh as nobody can be bothered to enforce the bus-lanes causing dangerous cutting up of law abiding mottorists near the end of the bus lane and ques of traffic illeagaly in the lane who refuse to let you in at the end of the bus-lane.

I quite liked that film. :lol:
Andrew: PCV, IAM Car
Smoky - Pronounced as Smokey, a unique little Mini.
MiniClubmanEstate

Postby ipsg.glf » Sat Oct 28, 2006 1:23 am

Roadcraft wrote:
ipsg.glf wrote:RC

The confusement is born out of idleness usually. I want to get just that bit nearer the shops. Or it's a long way around town on the ring road. Lets just nip through here.

I think the fact that the silver car in the first incident first draws up to the barriers, has a look and then later rushes in behind the bus.... is all that is needed to realise what they were trying to do.

Very Mr Bean like.

ipsg.glf wrote:Plus, these barriers do look s though they could inflict serious injury. Maybe a bus lane camera would be better?

What? Another revenue maker for the masses to roll their eyes at ?

No, these barriers seem to do the trick perfectly :) There are some in my town for bus routes through the town and also for certain pedestrian zones at relevant times. So that only those permitted vehicles are allowed through. Normally, there's a talk station adjacent to the barrier with a buzzer/CCTV to the town hall.

Permitted vehicles only are seen in those areas, unlike when there are only signs up and no barriers. :)

Isn't the role of road safety professionals to reduce the number of casulaties?

I cannot see what purpose these serve other than to inflict serious damage and possible serious harm.
ipsg.glf

Postby SammyTheSnake » Sat Oct 28, 2006 2:25 am

It's not all that clear from the video exactly what warning there is, but if it's even just "Danger, automatic barrier" I'd say those who run the gauntlet have had fair warning.

Perhaps a barrier that can be more easily seen would be a good idea, though. Red lights on the top of the bollards, or a barrier that comes in from the sides, rather than up out from behind the bonnet?

Also, it might make sense for the bollards to stop if there's something metalic immediately above them. Wouldn't stop twits driving *into* them, but might save those who're *over* them as they come up.

Regarding ipsg.glf's comment about reducing colisions / injuries, I'd say that shifting the colisions / injuries from random bystanders to those whose observation skills suck is a pretty good second best, at least. I'd like to think (and therefore will cheerfully ignore all evidence to the contrary) that those who've been caught out on these will pay more attention to warning signs on the side of the road in future...

Cheers & God bless
Sam "SammyTheSnake" Penny
DSA A 2003/08/01 - first go
Zach 2003-2006 - 1995 Diversion 600
DSA B 2007/03/05 - second go
Ninny 2007-2008 - Focus TDDI
Unnamed 2008- Mk3 1.4 Golf
http://www.sampenny.co.uk/
SammyTheSnake

Postby Roadcraft » Sat Oct 28, 2006 6:58 am

ipsg.glf wrote:
Roadcraft wrote:
ipsg.glf wrote:Isn't the role of road safety professionals to reduce the number of casulaties?

I cannot see what purpose these serve other than to inflict serious damage and possible serious harm.

Define 'Road Safety Professionals' please.... Do you mean 'traffic police'? If so, we'll there's not many of them...and if there was, if one was positioned at that spot from dawn till dusk, I can hardly think that would be a useful use of police time or taxpayers money. Just think of the comments.."Haven't you got anything better to do officer?" "Shouldn't you be catching muderers/rapist?" etc

Besides, don't you think your ideas concerning this are pandering to the 'nanny state'? I mean, whatever next? Security guards instead of barbed wire on scrapyards so that people don't injure themselves when they climb over the fence?

The bottom line is that area in the film is for buses only through a town centre. There will no doubt be many signs telling you that, and in addition, the barriers are clear to see. If people want to try to do an Indiana Jones and rush the barriers, then they face the consequences.

I'm sorry, but I have very little sympathy in the circumstances. To be honest, i'm surprised that you do ipsg.glf.
Roadcraft

Postby PeteG » Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:52 am

I've seen them in York city centre - the action seemed a little less violent than those in the video, however. I think they keep cars out of zones X, Y and Z between certain hours.

I'm all in favour of them, to be honest. If people don't see the signs (illuminated red'uns, form what I could tell), or choose to ignore them, then it's their fault for subsequently hitting the bollard.

I wonder how large a gap is needed after a vehicle passes for them to rise again?
"There's always another day, and I would rather miss a few than get one badly wrong." - TripleS, on overtaking.
PeteG

Postby ipsg.glf » Sat Oct 28, 2006 11:50 am

Roadcraft wrote:
ipsg.glf wrote:
Roadcraft wrote:
ipsg.glf wrote:Isn't the role of road safety professionals to reduce the number of casulaties?

Define 'Road Safety Professionals' please.... Do you mean 'traffic police'? If so, we'll there's not many of them...and if there was, if one was positioned at that spot from dawn till dusk, I can hardly think that would be a useful use of police time or taxpayers money. Just think of the comments.."Haven't you got anything better to do officer?" "Shouldn't you be catching muderers/rapist?" etc

Besides, don't you think your ideas concerning this are pandering to the 'nanny state'? I mean, whatever next? Security guards instead of barbed wire on scrapyards so that people don't injure themselves when they climb over the fence?

The bottom line is that area in the film is for buses only through a town centre. There will no doubt be many signs telling you that, and in addition, the barriers are clear to see. If people want to try to do an Indiana Jones and rush the barriers, then they face the consequences.

I'm sorry, but I have very little sympathy in the circumstances. To be honest, i'm surprised that you do ipsg.glf.

RC

I'm not advocating having any sort of human resource to deal with this problem. But a camera would be able to punish such people fairly easily.

I think we have to get this into some sort of perspective. Is it right that people should risk serious damange and possible serious injury for the sake of entering a restricted parking area? I can understand having them on the entance to 10 Downing Street or somewhere like that, but Manchester City Centre?

What happens when a police vehicle needs to enter this area?

By Road Safety Professionals I mean Traffic Police, Road Engineers and the like. I thought the idea was for us to try to reduce injuries rather than putting in place flawed engineering solutions that only increase injuries.

Look at the guy in the white van - He could have easily broken his neck. When I read about fatalities in my local paper where a young lad has misjudged an overtake or a corner, even though they were the author of their own misfortunte, I do feel sorry for them. And I feel sorry for what their families have to go through.
ipsg.glf

Postby Nigel » Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:04 pm

I find myself edging towards ipsg's feelings.

A few years back, in a Welsh town I can't remember the name of , they had rising bollards.

I was renewing my passport for a business trip to the states, and whilst walking around the town (waiting for passport to be processed) I saw a nice middle aged lady injured by these rising bollards.

She was driving a peugeot 106, she followed an authorised vehicle, and the bollards went through her sump, lifting the car off the ground, and she was hit in the face quite hard by her airbag ( I saw the whole incident from start to finish, and I was very surprised her air bag activated ).

I thought the signage was poor, you were coming off a very very busy town center roundabout, if you made the mistake of turning towards the bollards it was very difficult to turn around, and she was following a largish council lorry.

I'm not sure these were automated, one of the police officers that attended hinted to me that these were human operated via a camera system.

Another problem with bus lanes etc is that they aren't standard, every council sets their own rules, and you even get examples (some have been posted on here) where the vehicles authorised to use restricted lanes can change from one side of an island to another.
Nigel

Postby Roadcraft » Sat Oct 28, 2006 6:02 pm

Thats that then... more camera enforcement needed :?
Roadcraft

Postby ipsg.glf » Sat Oct 28, 2006 6:04 pm

Roadcraft wrote:Thats that then... more camera enforcement needed :?

But in this circumstance, a camera would seem to be the most appropriate tool for the job.
ipsg.glf

Postby stephenperry » Sat Oct 28, 2006 6:49 pm

since the only place i ever see bus lanes locally (relatively speaking) is in aberdeen i've no idea when they are active and when they aren't so i avoid them as a rule and probably mistakenly curse taxi drivers and other cars using them to jump the queueing traffic :oops:

come to think of it i didn't wonder why the bus lane cameras didn't flash, are they not based on a similar system to Mr Gatsonides one?
Alpina B10 3.3 #118 : Ford Sierra XR4i : Peugeot 307 HDi 90 S
stephenperry

Postby Tony Hoyle » Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:04 pm

ipsg.glf wrote:I think we have to get this into some sort of perspective. Is it right that people should risk serious damange and possible serious injury for the sake of entering a restricted parking area? I can understand having them on the entance to 10 Downing Street or somewhere like that, but Manchester City Centre?

If that video is manchester then and it is where I think it is then nobody has any excuse - it's extremely well signposted with big red no entry signs and the road is marked with no entry as well. Beyond it is a pedenstrianised area which is often crowded and lots of people crossing the road. The alternative is to let them through and risk an innocent bystander getting killed.

(last I heard though there were no bollards there... they started by putting no entry signs up, then built the pavement out from the left & right to narrow the road and put big *illuminated* no entry signs up along with road markings.. and people still used that section as a rat run. It wouldn't surprise me if they had been forced to take more drastic measures).
Tony Hoyle

Next

Return to General Car Chat Forum