Lane 2.5

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby SammyTheSnake » Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:20 pm

I thought, after it came up in another thread, that it'd be fun to have a discussion of the whys, wherefores, whynots and whateverelses of those vehicles narrower than most making use of the space between those vehicles that aren't narrower than most.

What are the safety concerns?
Why do ~20% of drivers helpfully move out of the way, and ~5% unhelpfully move into the way?
How can I as a motorcyclist avoid upsetting car drivers?
Is "filtering" an integral part of "making progress"?
When should / shouldn't this be done?
Whatever else...

Cheers & God bless
Sam "SammyTheSnake" Penny
DSA A 2003/08/01 - first go
Zach 2003-2006 - 1995 Diversion 600
DSA B 2007/03/05 - second go
Ninny 2007-2008 - Focus TDDI
Unnamed 2008- Mk3 1.4 Golf
http://www.sampenny.co.uk/
SammyTheSnake

Postby 7db » Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:25 pm

You can spot the good riders doing this, as they lurk before each pass, making sure the vehicle is stable and keep the differential speed low.

Often people are laning both sides of me on the A40 and it's hard to move out of everyone's way.

A waggle of the boot makes it all worthwhile...
7db

Postby martine » Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:14 pm

I've got no problem with m/c filtering between stationery or slow moving traffic and try and move to make the space bigger.

I have a big problem though with the idiots who weave between traffic on the motorway when it's moving normally (80+). Apart from being illegal, it's B***DY dangerous for all concerned. I can't help thinking that 'natural selection' will weed them out but that's not what I want - my heart goes into my mouth whenever I see particularly bad examples.

(I speak as a biker as well as car driver)
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby stv » Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:39 pm

How can I as a motorcyclist avoid upsetting car drivers?

Unfortunately with some car drivers the only way to avoid upsetting them is not to ride a bike at all! After all, bikers wear leather, so we must be yobs.

Why do ~20% of drivers helpfully move out of the way, and ~5% unhelpfully move into the way?

These 5% also try to block cars overtaking as well by moving towards the centre line when they are caught up, probably because they feel it is their duty to slow down all the "speedfreaks". The fact that they are only going at 40 in a NSL, and continue at 40 in a 30 is irrelevant.

One thing i often find when on the bike is drivers often assume i will want to overtake and they almost take to the verge to assist me ( even when i have no intention to ), yet when i am in the car they seem to take the view that although they are not going to overtake they are not going to leave any room for anyone else to.
stv

Postby ScoobyChris » Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:28 pm

I like to think I'm a considerate car driver and the best way to avoid upsetting me is a) don't tailgate me and b) a quick thank you to acknowledge the fact I have moved over to assist an overtake :D

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby ipsg.glf » Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:04 pm

ScoobyChris wrote:I like to think I'm a considerate car driver and the best way to avoid upsetting me is a) don't tailgate me and b) a quick thank you to acknowledge the fact I have moved over to assist an overtake :D

Chris

I think the customary thank you is a little wave of the left hand, which involves removing the hand from the handlebar, which some might say, leads to a possible loss of stability. I'd much rather get a little nod as they went on by.
ipsg.glf

Postby 7db » Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:52 am

ipsg.glf wrote:I think the customary thank you is a little wave of the left hand, which involves removing the hand from the handlebar, which some might say, leads to a possible loss of stability. I'd much rather get a little nod as they went on by.

Waggle your boot
7db

Postby PeteG » Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:43 am

Or (female bikers, preferably), a wiggle of the rear would often be appreciated. But then the accident rate would go up, thus branding motorcyclists as accident-causing (oxymoronic, I know) lunatics.

Hmm.
"There's always another day, and I would rather miss a few than get one badly wrong." - TripleS, on overtaking.
PeteG

Postby Søren » Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:04 pm

My view on lane 2.5 is that you are placing the responsibility for your safety on someone else, yes you can mitigate it by clever observation, anticipation etc, but in my mind you are placing your safety more into the hands of someone else than I'd be happy to do.

I see road safety operating at its best when each driver maintains their cushion of safety. It provides a driver with a possible safety option should something develop which wasn't anticipated.

By filtering between cars, or overtaking within the same lane as someone else, you are bursting your safety cushion. you are therefore relying on other motorists to look out for you, or you are hoping they will do what you have anticipated.

I'd argue that motorists on the motorway in particular should feel entitled to the use of the lateral width of the lane they are in without constantly having to resort to mirror checks. This obviously is not specifically defined in the HC or primary legislation, but some overtaking advice in the HC is not being complied with when filtering.

If a biker does filter, then I believe they should acknowledge the considerate motorists they pass. Many more bikers on the continent shake their boot than seems to happen here (or perhaps it's just easier to notice them doing it).

I think what I am trying to say is that I believe filtering is just about acceptable if the biker considers every individual vehicle he passes as a hazard to be mitigated, rather than it being seen as a biker's right to pass through unopposed and unfettered.
Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler. Einstein
Søren

Postby Nigel » Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:27 pm

Søren wrote:

I think what I am trying to say is that I believe filtering is just about acceptable if the biker considers every individual vehicle he passes as a hazard to be mitigated, rather than it being seen as a biker's right to pass through unopposed and unfettered.

Almost in agreement, I'm not sure I actually think it is just about acceptable.

If you choose to do it, and it goes pearshaped, don't start bleating about how vunerable you are and how the naughty car drivers are always out to get you, you put yourself in the position of danger to start with.

The above also goes for cyclists and pedestrians.

I broke my leg many many years ago overtaking in town with oncoming traffic, when I got flattened up a bus, my brother had a much nastier spill where he nearly lost his leg, and has never recovered completely, there was a friend of kawasaki daves on traffic answers who is paralysed from the chest down (last I heard).

I'm not sure the precieved benefits (read impatience) outway the risks, I'm hoping to do my IAM bke next year, after my return to motorcycling earlier this year, I'm going to be very interested in what I'm taught on this subject, as we would never consider teaching anything of the sought on the car course.
Nigel

Postby Advanced Roadcraft » Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:45 pm

Nigel wrote:
Søren wrote:

And that's the only (almost!) safe way to do it.

I'm not sure the precieved benefits (read impatience) outway the risks, I'm hoping to do my IAM bke next year, after my return to motorcycling earlier this year, I'm going to be very interested in what I'm taught on this subject, as we would never consider teaching anything of the sought on the car course.

Nigel: In my experience it won't be taught or expected for an IAM Membership Test. (Good luck with it, BTW)

Best, B
Advanced Roadcraft

Return to General Car Chat Forum