Royal Mail postal scam

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby Lynne » Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:12 pm

Son has just e-mailed this to me, it's come from via Essex Police!

Can you circulate this around especially as Xmas is fast approaching - it has been confirmed by Royal Mail.

The Trading Standards Office are making people aware of the following scam :

A card is posted through your door from a company called PDS (Parcel Delivery Service) suggesting that they were unable to deliver a parcel and that you need to contact them on 0906 6611911 (a premium rate number). DO NOT call this number, as this is a mail scam originating from Belize. If you call the number and you start to hear a recorded message you will already have been billed £15 for the phone call.
ADI
RoSPA Diploma in Advanced Driving Instruction

Thankyou for being courteous to horses and riders :)
Lynne

Postby jont » Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:31 pm

And for once it's a genuine scam. More details here:

http://www.snopes.com/fraud/telephone/pds.asp

(edit - not a personal dig Lynne, just that 90% of these warnings I see are actually hoaxes)
jont

Postby Lynne » Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:14 am

jont wrote:And for once it's a genuine scam. More details here:

http://www.snopes.com/fraud/telephone/pds.asp

(edit - not a personal dig Lynne, just that 90% of these warnings I see are actually hoaxes)

That's ok Jont, son isn't one to waste his time sending things onto me that aren't genuine! :)
ADI
RoSPA Diploma in Advanced Driving Instruction

Thankyou for being courteous to horses and riders :)
Lynne

Postby billgates e30 » Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:00 am

i had one of these through the door last year, fortuantly i was lucky enough to notice it come through the letterbox and noticed it was certainly not a courier that posted it :roll:
billgates e30

Postby SammyTheSnake » Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:42 pm

I believe the law has recently changed to limit the cost of premium rate phone calls to something like £2/min max, or maybe the change hasn't come into effect yet?

All you have to do to skip these things is refuse to call 09*** numbers. I never have done and to the best of my knowlege, I've not missed out on anything because of it.

Cheers & God bless
Sam "SammyTheSnake" Penny
DSA A 2003/08/01 - first go
Zach 2003-2006 - 1995 Diversion 600
DSA B 2007/03/05 - second go
Ninny 2007-2008 - Focus TDDI
Unnamed 2008- Mk3 1.4 Golf
http://www.sampenny.co.uk/
SammyTheSnake

Postby mconforti » Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:10 pm

I was almost scammed in a over-so-slightly similar way.

I was expecting a replacement credit card when I one day received a courier note through my door. Fair enough as I was expect the CC. I gave them a ring and arranged delivery for next day.

A couple hours later, I received a call, supposedly from my CC supplier. To carry on the call, I had to answer some "security" questions. Two things struck me as strange. Firstly was why I should answer questions when they phoned me. Secondly, the voice on the phone sounded a bit like the one from the courier company. I refused to give any details and said I would phone them back.

The long and short of it is that someone at the sorting office had stolen my credit card and then tried to get the necessary details from me to activate it. Details were passed on to the Police.
mconforti

Postby madmoggy » Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:07 am

Heard of another scam a while ago with a missed delivery card in the door. You get a card in the door saying that you missed a delivery, stating that they will redeliver at a certain time and date. Theres a number on the card to ring if this is inconvenient. Obviously people ring saying things like "Im at work that day" then come home to find their house has been burgled.
madmoggy

Postby Micra Driver » Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:19 pm

I haven't had anything like this through the door yet :(

When it does come through the door though... it'll be bad - my family will be calling the number thinking "ooo must be important".

They're a bit simple really :roll:
Micra Driver

Postby AdamW » Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:39 pm

Thanks Lynne.
Despite their large numbers ants flow freely because of their understanding and purpose. As a driver your job is to move in, within, and out of the flow of traffic causing the minimum disruption and upset to others. Everyone then benefits, including you.
AdamW

Return to General Car Chat Forum