Very dangerous roads

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby Gareth » Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:55 am

Until yesterday I hadn't realised that the M4 from Newbury to Reading is one of the most dangerous roads in Britain. I had been completely taken in by those who say that our motorways are the safest roads in terms of accidents, injuries or even deaths, per passenger mile.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby 7db » Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:18 pm

The solution is simple - come off at junction 13, run North (A34) and East to Hermitage on the white roads, leaving the rural 50s behind, take a right in Hermitage and then alongside the M4 (and over and under) on the white roads to Yattendon and eventually Theale where you pick up the M4 again.
7db

Postby Gareth » Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:24 pm

I prefer starting off as you mention, but after Hermitage heading through Bucklebury, Chapel Row and South End, coming out on the A340 south of the M4. From empirical evidence I know this to be much safer than that particular M4 section.

Fortunately, to my knowledge, the M4 is quite safe in the westbound direction between J12 and J13.
Gareth

Postby TripleS » Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:24 pm

What's a dangerous road?

<assumes innocent expression>

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby 7db » Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:25 pm

The A272 is. I was driving along it on Thursday night and I got hit by a firework, denting my pride and joy.
7db

Postby 7db » Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:31 pm

I must try that one too, Gareth. However, obviously the preferred route is 4494 to Wantage, over to the Didcot roundabouts, Wallingford, Watlington, Aston Hill, Christmas Common, Henley, Marlow and in on M40 or down to M4. (Or alternatively the 4009 to Wallingford at the start).

Clearly this takes you nearly nowhere near your destination, but is a great drive, which I think is the kind of route planning criteria that doesn't get properly incorporated into automatic routing systems these days...
7db

Postby Gareth » Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:33 pm

TripleS wrote:What's a dangerous road?

One where the authorities have provided additional warnings in areas of exceptional danger, although I've sometimes noticed that the extra information is placed outside a drivers natural area of vision. Typical hazards include a brow of a hill, or a sharp bend, where the severity isn't apparent even to a driver on the lookout for dangerous situations.
Gareth

Postby Gareth » Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:41 pm

7db wrote:I must try that one too, Gareth. However, obviously the preferred route is 4494 to Wantage, over to the Didcot roundabouts, Wallingford, Watlington, Aston Hill, Christmas Common, Henley, Marlow and in on M40 or down to M4.

While your suggested route starts quite nicely, I'm fairly certain that the middle parts take you near other places that have been designated areas of exceptional danger, however at least those are known to be consistently dangerous, as opposed the M4 eastbound section I mentioned earlier, which appears to have some kind of sporadic danger that need to be alerted to otherwise unaware drivers.

7db wrote:(Or alternatively the 4009 to Wallingford at the start).

Another commendable choice.

7db wrote:Clearly this takes you nearly nowhere near your destination, but is a great drive, which I think is the kind of route planning criteria that doesn't get properly incorporated into automatic routing systems these days...

You'd think that in these safety concious days there would be an enormous market for such products, but as yet I feel this has been completely untapped.
Gareth

Postby TripleS » Sun Nov 12, 2006 1:10 pm

Gareth wrote:
TripleS wrote:What's a dangerous road?

One where the authorities have provided additional warnings in areas of exceptional danger, although I've sometimes noticed that the extra information is placed outside a drivers natural area of vision. Typical hazards include a brow of a hill, or a sharp bend, where the severity isn't apparent even to a driver on the lookout for dangerous situations.

Yes sorry, I was being a bit facetious again, but this business about 'dangerous roads' does rather bug me.

My immediate reaction is that the road - being a fixed entity - is there for all to see, so if you look what you're doing and take your time it ought not to present a problem.

I suppose if a lot of people are having trouble at a particular point, and we can see that there is something seriously deceptive about the layout, then I suppose the 'dangerous' label becomes a bit easier to justify. In cases like that perhaps some improved signage would be helpful, or even a bit of engineering, but in general I'd rather cut out the excuses and have drivers looking and thinking about what they're doing.

....and then the problems would be dealt with safely wherever drivers meet them. Much more satisfying, and cheaper too!

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby martine » Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:12 pm

Gareth wrote:Until yesterday I hadn't realised that the M4 from Newbury to Reading is one of the most dangerous roads in Britain.

What happened/did-you-find-out yesterday?
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby Gareth » Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:58 pm

martine wrote:What happened/did-you-find-out yesterday?

Sadly the biggest source of danger in that section was probably an unmarked mobile speed camera van parked on a high bridge across the M4, and measuring the speed of east-bound traffic.

Definitely well above a drivers natural line of vision when scanning for road-based hazards. A few drivers noticed, but many did not, and this tended to cause abnormal bunching leading up to that bridge, resulting in cars getting closer than they generally and normally do at motorway speeds.
Gareth

Postby 7db » Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:18 pm

Assume you'd be able to get a close-up by driving the Hermitage - Yattendon road...
7db

Postby Gareth » Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:13 pm

I suspect it could have been the road heading south-east from Burnt Hill, but the previous bridge is also a possibility. Next time I go that way, I may remember to count bridges.
Gareth

Postby waremark » Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:33 pm

Gareth wrote:Until yesterday I hadn't realised that the M4 from Newbury to Reading is one of the most dangerous roads in Britain.

Gareth, this is too abstruse for those not with you yesterday. What is this about?
waremark

Postby jont » Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:34 pm

hpcdriver wrote:

Gareth, this is too abstruse for those not with you yesterday. What is this about?

I'm assuming "safety" cameras on/over the M'way.
jont

Next

Return to General Car Chat Forum