~~~PLEASE SIGN THIS PETITION ~~~~~~

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby Roadcraft » Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:22 am

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/DC-Stephen-Oake/

The recent decision by the George Cross Committee not to award a posthumous George Cross to D.C Stephen Oake has outraged many in UK society. Many press commentaries have included the views of members of the general public who are disgusted at this outrageous decision. Indeed, many current and former members of the police service are considering returning their own medals in protest at the decision. This decision has come at a time when the UK is facing a challenge unseen since the Second World War. It is also a time when more and more elements of the criminal fraternity are prepared to arm themselves, and we are seeing greater numbers of police officers being injured or killed as a consequence of this. We petition the Prime Minister to intervene in this case and reverse this decision. This award will honour this brave and dedicated officer’s memory. It will show his family that the ultimate sacrifice he made has not been forgotten by his colleagues and those he was sworn to protect. It may also go some way towards improving the morale of a traditionally un-armed service that continues to serve the public with skill, dedication and determination in such trying times.

Please sign the electronic petition.

Thank you.

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/DC-Stephen-Oake/
Roadcraft

Postby waremark » Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:37 pm

Can you tell us what he did to deserve the George Cross? You assume we know all about him, but sorry I don't.
waremark

Postby Gareth » Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:41 pm

I would also be interested in the requirements for the GC to be awarded - I have had a brief search, and it seems to be related to knowingly putting yourself in a very dangerous situation for the benefit of others, (that is, the person knew there was a high risk of death but still did whatever it was they did), but I am not certain I have the right end of the stick.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby James » Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:23 pm

Det Con Oake was stabbed to death by terrorist Kamel Bourgass in a flat in Manchester during a raid in 2003.
James

Postby nuster100 » Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:37 pm

"Learn from the mistakes of others, you dont have time to make them all yourself"

Rospa South West and Taunton Group Chairman 2007-2009
nuster100

Postby 7db » Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:29 pm

What a terrible story and a horrible loss to the Service. I don't think it is, however, any dishonour to his memory for him not to be awarded the GC.
7db

Postby Nigel » Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:11 am

Its a terrible loss....but....

I wish you luck, its taken the best part of 90 years to get WW1 heroes declassified as cowards & traitors.

Either your face fits or it doesn't, and that poor guys face obviously didn't.
Nigel

Postby ipsg.glf » Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:05 am

I don't think it is a case of whether his face fits. I think it is more a case that the action he undertook did not meet the criteria for a GC.

I can understand the sentiment but do we really want to get into the situation whereby someone is given an award where it is not merited? DOes that not just water down the award?

It is a terrible loss, mind.
ipsg.glf

Postby Roadcraft » Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:23 am

7db wrote:What a terrible story and a horrible loss to the Service. I don't think it is, however, any dishonour to his memory for him not to be awarded the GC.

Then don't vote
Roadcraft

Postby Nigel » Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:34 am

Gave it some serious thought, but came down on the side of signing.
Nigel

Postby Standard Dave » Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:37 pm

The new story and indeed the accounts given do not reflect the whole story DC Oake was killed saving the lives of at least two colleagues on that day and also preventing the escape of a very dangerous terrorist.

Many of the news stories are not accurate about the events that day and I suppose that this is in part the problem with getting DC Oake the recognition he deserves.

The most accurate account I can find although brief is here

http://www.policememorial.org.uk/Nation ... H_2003.htm
Standard Dave

Postby MGF » Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:30 am

Roadcraft wrote:This decision has come at a time when the UK is facing a challenge unseen since the Second World War.

A deeply political and wholly unsubstantiated assertion and one which many in 'UK society', sensibly in my view, disagree with.

Incidentally Bourgass was never convicted of any terrorist offence, indeed he was found not guilty by an Old Bailey jury.

The murder of DC Oakes is tragic. The murder of thousands of other police officers over the years is also tragic.

302 of the Royal Ulster Constabulary were killed in terrorist acts and yet people still claim the current terrorist threat is unprecedented.

The George Cross Committee who are charged with the duty of deciding on whether or not DC Oakes should receive a George Cross are being attacked, in my view, by people who don't understand what the GC is for.

"acts of the greatest heroism or the most conspicuous courage in circumstances of extreme danger"

It is not a political award and the Committee should be commended for not devaluing it by using it as a political tool.

Accounts of what happened during the raid in which he was murdered undoubtedly show that he was very brave but so are many police officers who are murdered in the course of their duty.

I am not taking anything away from this tragic event and I agree with 7db that the George Cross Committee haven't either.
MGF

Postby Nigel » Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:55 am

MGF wrote:
Roadcraft wrote:This decision has come at a time when the UK is facing a challenge unseen since the Second World War.

A deeply political and wholly unsubstantiated assertion and one which many in 'UK society', sensibly in my view, disagree with.

Incidentally Bourgass was never convicted of any terrorist offence, indeed he was found not guilty by an Old Bailey jury.

The murder of DC Oakes is tragic. The murder of thousands of other police officers over the years is also tragic.

302 of the Royal Ulster Constabulary were killed in terrorist acts and yet people still claim the current terrorist threat is unprecedented.

The George Cross Committee who are charged with the duty of deciding on whether or not DC Oakes should receive a George Cross are being attacked, in my view, by people who don't understand what the GC is for.

"acts of the greatest heroism or the most conspicuous courage in circumstances of extreme danger"

It is not a political award and the Committee should be commended for not devaluing it by using it as a political tool.

Accounts of what happened during the raid in which he was murdered undoubtedly show that he was very brave but so are many police officers who are murdered in the course of their duty.

I am not taking anything away from this tragic event and I agree with 7db that the George Cross Committee haven't either.

I agree with most of what you write

Knowing a little of roadcrafts background I feel he will agree with you regarding NI, as indeed do I.

What is different in many peoples eyes about this one, is its our boys that are copping it, no matter how PC you, I, or anyone else may feel about the good old RUC ( and they were fantastic), they are largely regarded as a foriegn force by Mr & Mrs average on the mainland.

My eldest child is 15, she has just about no knowledge of the Irish conflict, time is moving on (we are getting old).

I feel it is the "American" side of our nature, hey look, its happening in our back yard that is getting people, memories are short.

The only part of what I interprit your statement to mean, that I dissagree with, is I can't see how issuing the award to anyone killed in the line of duty, whilst protecting others, is cheapening the award.
Nigel

Postby Roadcraft » Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:55 am

MGF wrote:Accounts of what happened during the raid in which he was murdered undoubtedly show that he was very brave but so are many police officers who are murdered in the course of their duty.

Absolutely, and I think that's why all police officers who die in the execution of their duties should be awarded medals posthumously...
Roadcraft

Postby David2428 » Sat Nov 25, 2006 12:47 pm

A much better longer lasting appropriate tribute, stays as a reminder to those brave officers who gave their lives, in the community and "on their patch" for all to see, if they were given a George Cross instead they would be forgotten long ago..........

WPC Yvonne Fletcher
St James Square
SW1

Last edited by David2428 on Sat Nov 25, 2006 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
London Cabbie and Biker......
David2428

Next

Return to General Car Chat Forum