IAM Website

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby waremark » Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:20 am

Has anyone else had difficulty in logging into the members section of the IAM website, or have I been banned?

Am I right in remembering that username was membership number and password was surname?

Thanks for any help.

Happy New Year to all my ADUK friends.
waremark

Postby crr003 » Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:27 am

hpcdriver wrote:Has anyone else had difficulty in logging into the members section of the IAM website,

I can get in
or have I been banned?

?? :)
Am I right in remembering that username was membership number and password was surname?

Yes. Unless you changed the password........
Happy New Year

Same to you :D
crr003

Postby Darren » Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:31 am

Agree with Roger's answers.

Although the IAM site has recently been undergoing some "upgrades" which in alot of ways has killed some (of the already limited) functionality with Firefox and my comments on it have not been answered, or acknowledged.

Maybe they'll get round to it in the new year (fixing the problems, I don't expect an answer to my comments).
Darren

Postby rlmr » Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:57 am

hpcdriver wrote:Has anyone else had difficulty in logging into the members section of the IAM website, or have I been banned?

I can get in first time through Explorer 7 but takes a lot longer through Firefox 2 , which I prefer to use :cry:
hpcdriver wrote:Am I right in remembering that username was membership number and password was surname?

Correct.
Rennie Ritchie
Home Page

IAM Examiner for Cars, Bikes, Lorries and Buses since 1986
rlmr

Postby waremark » Sun Dec 31, 2006 8:20 pm

I must have been suspended - while this could be as a vexatious poster, since they still let some of you other guys in that does not seem likely! No, I think I have been suspended because it took me too long to send back my annual declaration - sent back on 15th December, so maybe it did not manage to get processed before the Christmas break. You might hope that they would send back your DD payment if they were going to suspend you. They have not done so. Ah well, but you would not really expect it!
waremark

Postby Gareth » Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:29 am

hpcdriver wrote:I must have been suspended

Can you tell me - is there anything there to interest an enthusiastic driver?
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby stv » Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:33 am

Can you tell me - is there anything there to interest an enthusiastic driver?

Unfortunately there seems to be an increasing number of IAM members who are not keen on driving! They are more interested in having a hard and fast rule about which gear to be in at 30mph, not accelerating if they can help it, and driving for economy.

Nothing wrong with these viewpoints - each to their own - but enthusiasm does appear to be frowned upon.
stv

Postby rlmr » Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:41 am

stv wrote:Unfortunately there seems to be an increasing number of IAM members who are not keen on driving! They are more interested in having a hard and fast rule about which gear to be in at 30mph, not accelerating if they can help it, and driving for economy.

Nothing wrong with these viewpoints - each to their own - but enthusiasm does appear to be frowned upon.

Well actually there is something wrong with these view points. If one does not drive and does not practice Advanced Driving, one is not an Advanced Driver. Remember there is a distinct difference between being a member of a club / organisation and actually participating.

Suffice it to say it would be interesting to see the results of a few "armchair" IAM / RoSPA members resitting their tests in 2007 :wink:

Rennie
rlmr

Postby stv » Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:33 pm

Well actually there is something wrong with these view points. If one does not drive and does not practice Advanced Driving, one is not an Advanced Driver. Remember there is a distinct difference between being a member of a club / organisation and actually participating.

Fair point, but i feel that in the last few years the IAM magazine ( with the exception of the biking page ) has also become less "enthusiastic" and maybe thats where they see the target market now?

The RoSPA "newspaper" does not provide any more inspiration.

Every journey i aim to improve my driver/ride over the previous journey, yet both organisations have less appeal to me as each year goes by, and after almost 15 years in IAM i am considering not renewing my membership.

The IAM ( biike ) & RoSPA ( car ) examiners who tested me in last few years were both enthusiastic - but i do wonder what direction those who make policy decisions in both organisations are heading in.
stv

Postby GS » Mon Jan 01, 2007 1:35 pm

Hi stv

Unfortunately, (in my view) it appears that your views on how the IAM is going is becoming more common. I know that it's very difficult to change people's views but can I ask if you are an 'active' member of your local group? If so, would it be possible to try and arrange perhaps some driving days? They are quite popular with some of the bike groups. I know that bikers tend to have slightly different views to some drivers but it might be worth a try. If you are not an 'active' member, have you thought about joining the committee or offering to try and organise something. I know that it can be work at times to try and get people interested and enthusiastic, but it might be worth a try before you end your membership.
GS
GS

Postby rlmr » Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:39 pm

stv wrote:Fair point, but i feel that in the last few years the IAM magazine ( with the exception of the biking page ) has also become less "enthusiastic" and maybe thats where they see the target market now?

Biking is the growth area where enthusiasm abounds
stv wrote:Every journey i aim to improve my driver/ride over the previous journey, yet both organisations have less appeal to me as each year goes by, and after almost 15 years in IAM i am considering not renewing my membership.

Do not give up... it requires change from within and you can do more as an active member. I consider my IAM sub's as a Road Safety charitable donation.
stv wrote:The IAM ( biike ) & RoSPA ( car ) examiners who tested me in last few years were both enthusiastic - but i do wonder what direction those who make policy decisions in both organisations are heading in.

All the Examiners are there because they enjoy what they are doing and are Advanced Driving enthusiasts... its certainly not for the money :wink:

Please stick with it and if you do not like where things seems to be going... DO something about it :)

Rennie
rlmr

Postby crr003 » Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:34 pm

Gareth wrote:Can you tell me - is there anything there to interest an enthusiastic driver?

Not much........
Not even any lessons in grammar, spulling and punctuation anymore......... :cry:
Why do things have to change......why? :cry: :P
crr003

Postby stv » Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:32 pm

Guilty as charged...... Not a member of a local IAM car group, i am a member of an IAM Bike group but work and other commitments have meant that have not been active.

ROG has invited me over to Leicester Group meetings, so will see where that leads.
stv

Postby ROG » Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:41 pm

Not sure if all the meetings at Leicester will interest you but the "driving related" ones should - it all depends on what speaker/guest is available.
On the subject of the IAM website discussion forum, I do not think it is too bad but the greater and different mix of skills and people on this site make this site far superior in my view.
I do use both sites, 15% IAM, 85% ADUK.
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby hardboiled » Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:23 am

I find the IAM site both funny and sad, in that it's comical how the smallest thing said can start off a huge row yet really I'd expect the posters to know better.

About 6 months ago I got back in to my local IAM group with a view to becoming an observer. Initially I found it very strange that they didn't want to a) give me some training or b) test my driving skills. It was infact 8 years since I'd taken and passed the IAM test.

I think the classroom sessions they run are quite good when backed up with on the road guidance but the think that is kind of putting me off at the moment is the lack of interest in observers improving their own driving.

One major point I've picked up from HPC driving over the last three years is that the more you know, the more you realise you don't know as well. Yet this appears to be the opposite to all of the local crew I've spoken to briefly. Maybe they have some secret driving club I don't know about :)

I'm not really sure now that I have the patience to teach people that aren't already at a reasonable level and might make this my first and only associate. Maybe I discovered doing this that I'm rather selfish in that I thought it might be a way to help improve my driving but I'm struggling to see the benefit at the moment (apart from the obvious ones to the associate).
hardboiled

Next

Return to General Car Chat Forum