Car Limits DVD "Bending the Rules"

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby AdamW » Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:37 pm

Anyone seen it? What did you think?
Is it worth getting?

http://www.carlimits.com/shop/product.php?p=16
Despite their large numbers ants flow freely because of their understanding and purpose. As a driver your job is to move in, within, and out of the flow of traffic causing the minimum disruption and upset to others. Everyone then benefits, including you.
AdamW

Postby crr003 » Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:52 pm

AdamW wrote:Anyone seen it? What did you think?
Is it worth getting?

http://www.carlimits.com/shop/product.php?p=16

I liked it.
If nothing else it has an interesting section on braking distances with/without ABS.

Oh - and if you ever need to get across an airfield using the accelerator not the steering wheel, he shows you how to do that too. 8)

If you're thinking of doing a Walshy day it would help a bit to see the DVD first, as he covers it all on the day.
crr003

Postby waremark » Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:06 pm

I think it is excellent. It does not compete with other Advanced Driving videos - it is all about car control techniques on the limit, demonstrated by Andy Walsh at North Weald. It has a very clever techical presentation, showing three views at the same time - view forwards, steering wheel and pedals. It discusses different car types - mainly a mid-engine Elise without ABS and the front wheel drive Scirocco.

Andy Walsh has a dry delivery in a monotonous tone of voice, so I would say that the DVD is educational rather than entertaining. Another potential downside is that he demonstrates stuff which is too far beyond the reach of ordinary mortals. For example, he shows that he can stop in a shorter distance using threshold braking without activating the ABS than by pressing harder on the brake pedal and activating the ABS. For most of us the best thing to do in an emergency is to use the ABS. He also does wizard stuff using left foot braking which is way beyond me.

But for a clear explanation of oversteer, understeer, heel and toe, left foot braking and how if you are very skilled you can use all of the above to your advantage particularly on track I strongly recommend it. If you want to be a better road driver, go for the Roadcraft, Cadence or Bespoke DVD's.
waremark

Postby stephenperry » Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:55 am

i got this when it first came out, very disappointed, far too short (iirc 30 mins of techniques that most will be familiar with, the dvd extras are just different camera angles) and the presenter was very "dry".... i sold mine on ebay to recoup the cost - like most films, the trailer was the best bit
Alpina B10 3.3 #118 : Ford Sierra XR4i : Peugeot 307 HDi 90 S
stephenperry

Postby James » Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:30 am

Is this a 30 min long presentation then?
James

Postby hardboiled » Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:24 am

It's a fairly professionally put together video but yes Andy's persona doesn't come across in his presentation. £15 is an ok price IMO but you'd be much better off putting the money to actually going and spending a day doing one of his courses at North Weald. If you do pray for rain, it's much more fun doing it in the wet :D
hardboiled

Postby stephenperry » Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:34 pm

i'll do some screengrabs of the dvd and let you see what's covered
stephenperry

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:11 pm

I've been on one of his handling days (admittedly the open ones with 30 cars, so not had any one-to-one time with him) but he came across as quietly humourous, rather than dry. I'd love to go back and spend more quality time learning from him.

Anyone wanting to get rid of their DVD because he's too dry, let me know :)
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby AlistairL » Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:19 pm

stephenperry wrote:i'll do some screengrabs of the dvd and let you see what's covered

I thought you sold yours on eBay ? :wink:
AlistairL, from Scotland.
AlistairL

Postby stephenperry » Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:47 am

i did, but i had a little help from dvd shrink before doing so :lol:
stephenperry

Postby stephenperry » Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:05 am

"this dvd is all about improving your driving techniques, putting you in better control of your car. it's not about hazard perception or roadcraft; it's designed to make you a faster driver on the track or airfield and to allow you to exploit and enjoy your cars performance as safely as possible..."

stephenperry

Return to General Car Chat Forum