Old Age

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby James » Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:34 pm

3 year, then what, do you have to apply again and face medical/eyesight test's e.t.c.?

Don't know much about age and DVLA I'm afraid.
James

Postby ROG » Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:51 pm

I have to have my eyes checked every 3 years as one of them has glaucoma and I have a medical for my LGV license every 5th year starting at 40.
My 3rd LGV medical is when I am 50, hang on a minute, thats next year :!: :cry: No, that cant be right, I was born in 1958. :D .........just counting fingers and toes etc............... :cry: :cry: :cry:
My maths is still good but NOW I FEEL OLD
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby Angus » Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:41 pm

Reminds me of the story where a group of pensioners are sitting around, comparing their various ailments.

One says: "My hands are so shaky, I can hardly lift this cup"
Another says: "My cataracts are so bad I can't see to pour my tea"
Another says: "I can't turn my head because of the arthritus in my neck"
Another says: "My blood pressure pills make me dizzy"
Another says: "I guess that's the price we pay for getting old"
The last says: "Yes, but it's not all bad. We should be thankful that we can all still drive"
Angus

Postby James » Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:51 pm

I can see the logic behind these requirements but I must say it is difficult for those drivers such as yourselves who can actually drive and would probably be safer then most half your ages (whatever they may be). I suppose it is easy to feel you fall under a "label" with age, but it is up to you to recognise that even if just thinking about your driving, which you have proved by contributing to the site, you have a better attitude than most.

For what it's worth I would come out in your Volvo with you anyday Chris!!!
James

Postby James » Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:42 am

Can't make the Bristol day im afraid, only one I can do is the Berkshire day (and even that is depending on whether or not it is interrupted by some "dates" I am expecting around March...[interviews/assessments cant say too much at the mo ;-)]
James

Postby Nigel » Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:54 am

chriskay wrote:I don't normally feel my age, but I did today when my new 3 year licence dropped through my letterbox. :shock: Shan't let it affect my driving though :wink:
Cheers, Chris.

Did they take any catergories away from you Chris ?

I've been on a three year licence for years, and it winds the hell out of me !
Nigel

Postby Nigel » Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:35 am

So you still have the ability to drive 7.5 tonners, and vehicles with more than 8 but less than 16 seats ?
Nigel

Postby ROG » Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:19 am

For my 3 year eye check, I have to do a special visual field test at my local hospital and forward the results to DVLA medical section in order to retain my license.
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby martine » Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:41 pm

On a related subject, I've been concerned about my Dad's driving for sometime (he's 78). When I saw him at Christmas I got him to agree he will take me for a drive so I can assess him. It's very awkward of course as like many people, his car is a life-line to him and I'm sure it will be a personal blow if I suggest he should really hang up his keys.

I feel I have a responsibility though (to others and him) and fortunately my Dad was quite keen on the idea - he may feel differently when we actually do it though.

Anyone else had this dilema...any advice?
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby Gareth » Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:41 pm

martine wrote:Anyone else had this dilema...any advice?

This seems to be within the remit of the Mobility Advice and Vehicle Information Service (MAVIS).

There are Driving Assessment Centres dotted around the country; they may be able to help. Have a look at http://www.mobility-centres.org.uk/ and http://www.dvla.gov.uk/medical/ataglance.aspx.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby James » Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:55 pm

martine wrote:On a related subject, I've been concerned about my Dad's driving for sometime (he's 78). When I saw him at Christmas I got him to agree he will take me for a drive so I can assess him. It's very awkward of course as like many people, his car is a life-line to him and I'm sure it will be a personal blow if I suggest he should really hang up his keys.

I feel I have a responsibility though (to others and him) and fortunately my Dad was quite keen on the idea - he may feel differently when we actually do it though.

I like Gareths idea but it may not be practical. If you do it you can only be honest and tactful, Im sure your dad will appreciate it however it goes. Good luck...
James

Postby Nigel » Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:22 pm

martine wrote:On a related subject, I've been concerned about my Dad's driving for sometime (he's 78). When I saw him at Christmas I got him to agree he will take me for a drive so I can assess him. It's very awkward of course as like many people, his car is a life-line to him and I'm sure it will be a personal blow if I suggest he should really hang up his keys.

If he needs any help, and you want it outside of the family....just ask.
Nigel

Postby SammyTheSnake » Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:06 am

Years ago when I was working as a freelance kitchenware hygienist*, I had an assignment at an old folks' home (used to be a house, now houses 26 "patients"

At this place, there was a gentleman whose name, I think, was Jack. He was in his nineties (and his sister celebrated her 100th birthday there while I was working there, too) He had a car which I saw him getting into and driving off, but in a way that wasn't entirely confidence-inspiring.

The fact that it took him several attempts to unlock and open the door wouldn't have been as worrying, if it weren't for the fact that the reason he couldn't manage it at first was that he spent 5 minutes trying to unlock a small blue car, before he realised that the large red car a few bays away was his.

I made a mental note not to cycle home until he came back.

Cheers & God bless
Sam "SammyTheSnake" Penny
( * agency dish-washer)
DSA A 2003/08/01 - first go
Zach 2003-2006 - 1995 Diversion 600
DSA B 2007/03/05 - second go
Ninny 2007-2008 - Focus TDDI
Unnamed 2008- Mk3 1.4 Golf
http://www.sampenny.co.uk/
SammyTheSnake

Postby martine » Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:36 am

Thanks guys for your advice, help and support.

I think my Dad will take whatever I suggest without getting too upset - still doesn't make it easy for me of course.

I wish there was compulsory re-testing after say...65 as many, many people must be in this situation.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby ipsg.glf » Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:36 pm

Is it still legal to discriminate against people on the basis of age?

(Not that I object too much. Personally, I'd like to see all drivers retested every 3 years).
ipsg.glf

Next

Return to General Car Chat Forum