A515 Speed Limit

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby PeterE » Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:23 pm

I've been informed that Derbyshire CC intend to reduce the speed limit on the entire stretch of the A515 from Buxton to Sudbury (where it joins the A50) via Ashbourne from NSL (60) to 50 mph, except where it is already lower Mad

This is a superb driving road and, although the quality varies in places, it includes some of the straightest and best-aligned sections of single-carriageway rural A-road in the country. If this can be reduced to 50, then nothing can be considered safe.

Objections to the proposal, stating the reasons for the objection, should be sent in wring to the Strategic Director - Environmental Services, County Hall, Matlock, DE4 3AG (For Attention of North Western Traffic Team) by 16 February 2007.
"No matter how elaborate the rules might be, there is not a glimmer of hope that they can cover the infinite variation in real driving situations." (Stephen Haley, from "Mind Driving")
PeterE

Postby crr003 » Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:29 pm

PeterE wrote:I've been informed that Derbyshire CC intend to reduce the speed limit on the entire stretch of the A515 from Buxton to Sudbury (where it joins the A50) via Ashbourne from NSL (60) to 50 mph, except where it is already lower Mad

Does the CC have to give a reason(s) for this? Have there been any nasty accidents?
crr003

Postby PeterE » Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:34 pm

crr003 wrote:
PeterE wrote:I've been informed that Derbyshire CC intend to reduce the speed limit on the entire stretch of the A515 from Buxton to Sudbury (where it joins the A50) via Ashbourne from NSL (60) to 50 mph, except where it is already lower Mad

Does the CC have to give a reason(s) for this? Have there been any nasty accidents?

They have to give a statement of reasons, but that isn't in the official advertising which was passed on to me. I think you have to attend County Hall to obtain it.

The road may well have a relatively high accident rate, but I don't see a blanket speed limit reduction as the answer. And it will make it effectively impossible to overtake HGVs safely and legally.
"No matter how elaborate the rules might be, there is not a glimmer of hope that they can cover the infinite variation in real driving situations." (Stephen Haley, from "Mind Driving")
PeterE

Postby Angus » Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:09 pm

Do the police have an opinion? They can (and do) object to reductions in speed limits. I don't know all the reasons, but one is if they think the new limit is unenforceable.
Angus

Postby Gareth » Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:23 pm

Angus wrote:Do the police have an opinion?

My impression is that CC's have stopped listening to the police when it comes to anything road related.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby Big Err » Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:23 pm

Gareth wrote:
Angus wrote:Do the police have an opinion?

My impression is that CC's have stopped listening to the police when it comes to anything road related.

I suspect they have agreement from the police before promoting the order, after all it will be the police who are expected to enforce it.
Big Err

Postby Nigel » Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:41 pm

The Police are allowed a say, although not much of one.

They have been ignored almost totally down here, this is going on all over the country and is spreading like a plague.

Down here they are also shutting down perfectly good two lane dual carrageways with an nsl to single lane dual carrageways with a 50 mph speed limit, building in chicanes, altering slip roads so its impossible for people using them to zip merge, etc etc

It seems to go hand in hand with the expression "dangerous road", you can't get it through to the decision making maggots that there are no such things as dangerous roads, danerous drivers, suicidal cyclists, and brain dead pedestrians...yes, but dangerous roads....no.

I'm not a fan of this trend in case you were wondering :D
Nigel

Postby TripleS » Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:41 pm

Nigel wrote:....you can't get it through to the decision making maggots that there are no such things as dangerous roads, dangerous drivers, suicidal cyclists, and brain dead pedestrians...yes, but dangerous roads....no.

I'm not a fan of this trend in case you were wondering :D

No, neither am I, but I regret to say the same sort of lunacy appears to have spread to North Yorkshire, which is especially disappointing as I thought we had a bit more gumption up here. Seemingly not - well not any longer anyhow.

A short section of the road between Whitby and Scarborough has now sprouted a virtual forest of steel posts, but as yet no signs or other gubbins has appeared. This looks to be in response to an incident late last year, where a motor cyclist went straight on at a LH bend and hit the dry stone wall at the far side. Fortunately he seems to have managed this without hitting anything coming the other way, so I suppose it could have been worse.

This approach by the 'road safety experts' is a complete PITA, and in due course it'll bankrupt the whole shooting match if we do this sort of thing every time some ass goes hurtling into a perfectly obvious bend at a ridiculous speed.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby Nigel » Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:28 am

Try Louth to Skegness Dave, that road is awful, and I think ranks number one in my most innapropriate use of speed limits and signage.
Nigel

Postby Big Err » Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:24 am

PeterE wrote:This is a superb driving road

Unfortunately these superb driving roads are the ones where the plonkers get it all wrong and the 'safety' statistics go pear shaped.

It is also unfortunate that the politcal 'masters' and a large part of the community believe that by reducing the speed limit the problem will go away. Admittedly in some places it may, but like all road safety statistics there are too many factors which make comparisons unreliable.

I have asked Derbyshire CC for the statement of reasons and background info, with a view to Objecting (from long range :) ) if their arguments don't convince. I'll post any information that comes back here so everyone can join in :wink: .

Eric
Big Err

Postby TripleS » Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:02 pm

Big Err wrote:

Unfortunately these superb driving roads are the ones where the plonkers get it all wrong and the 'safety' statistics go pear shaped.

It is also unfortunate that the politcal 'masters' and a large part of the community believe that by reducing the speed limit the problem will go away. Admittedly in some places it may, but like all road safety statistics there are too many factors which make comparisons unreliable.

I have asked Derbyshire CC for the statement of reasons and background info, with a view to Objecting (from long range :) ) if their arguments don't convince. I'll post any information that comes back here so everyone can join in :wink: .

Eric

A few years ago North Yorkshire CC consulted local residents, including us, about their plans to put two chicanes in a 30 mph road near where we live. I completed their questionnaire and asked if the road had a bad accident record, or were there reasons to expect undue trouble etc., and if not, then don't waste our money on the scheme.

I received no reply beyond them saying that the local people had indicated that they wanted the chicanes - so we got them.

One of them is set out so that one could drive through it at 60 mph, and the other one is placed on a blind bend! It's a pure waste of money. :roll:

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby PeterE » Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:26 pm

Big Err wrote:

This isn't a challenging, "technical" road like the Cat & Fiddle, though, it's one with plenty of open straight sections where you can practice overtaking and allow your car to stretch its legs a bit :P

Here's a photo of a fairly typical section I took earlier today:

Big Err wrote:I have asked Derbyshire CC for the statement of reasons and background info, with a view to Objecting (from long range :) ) if their arguments don't convince. I'll post any information that comes back here so everyone can join in :wink: .

I have already posted a letter of objection, but if you get a reply I would be very interested to see what they say.
PeterE

Postby Big Err » Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:06 pm

PeterE wrote:Here's a photo of a fairly typical section I took earlier today

Mmmm, I can see by the photo that the presence of that very busy junction - so busy that the lines have worn off - it requires no more than a 40 limit...............

I'll wait and see what comes back from the CC and let you all know.

Cheers

Eric
Big Err

Postby Big Err » Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:53 am

Big Err wrote:I'll wait and see what comes back from the CC and let you all know.

First response

"The background information is simply that the Government have now produced new guidance on the setting of local speed limits and the changes suggested along the A515 are consistent with the new criteria which basically tends to be more biased towards lower rural speed limits on routes with high injury accident rates. Derbyshire County Council along with all other local authorities have therefore been asked to review all their speed limits by 2011 in line with the new criteria."

I'm waiting for further information.
Big Err

Postby Big Err » Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:42 pm

Big Err wrote:I'm waiting for further information.

Some more has arrived. If anyone wishes a copy of the proposed Order and drawings, drop me a pm with their email.

Cheers

Eric
Big Err

Next

Return to General Car Chat Forum