Hazard Perception

For discussion of topics relating to the Driving Standards Agency Learner Test (DSA L Test) and contribution by ADI's (Approved Driving Instructors)

Postby jont » Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:04 pm

ROG wrote:It is my opinion that most treat the HPT as "just a test" and in no way teaches hazard perception

You mean like most treat the whole driving test?
jont

Postby Angus » Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:03 pm

As I've said before, the HPT is fine in theory, but lacking in practice.

First, the resolution of the screens is too poor for distant hazards (horses on a country road with superb visability when i did the HPT).

Second, instead of clicking the mouse, have touch sensitive screens and touch the area of the percieved hazard.
Angus

Postby James » Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:42 pm

Can you imagine the expense though!

This HPT is a good example of beauracracy (spelt wrong probably). It ticks a box short term but inadvertantly breeds contempt long term. It serves no purpose.

The HPT is, in my opinion, indicative of nothing.
James

Postby James » Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:46 pm

That said I must say the actual HPT test (14 clips) is alot easier than what I have posted above. I passed with six 5's, four 4's, three 3's and one 2.

But if I am seriously that poor at observing to get three 3''s and one 2 I wonder whether I am cut out for my current role - maybe I should hand my job keys back now... :? :wink:

As I say, indicative of nothing really. How good are you at Playstation 2's Rally Games?
James

Postby vonhosen » Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:04 pm

James wrote:That said I must say the actual HPT test (14 clips) is alot easier than what I have posted above. I passed with six 5's, four 4's, three 3's and one 2.

But if I am seriously that poor at observing to get three 3''s and one 2 I wonder whether I am cut out for my current role - maybe I should hand my job keys back now... :? :wink:

As I say, indicative of nothing really. How good are you at Playstation 2's Rally Games?

I work with people who've failed it more than once & I can assure your there is nothing wrong with their observation, anticipation & planning. They've all had no problems later passing parts 2 & 3 of the ADI process first time.
Any views expressed are mine & mine alone.
I do not represent my employer or these forums.
vonhosen

Postby James » Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:37 pm

lol - I was typing with a touch of sarcasm, however I appreciate your input.

I have come to know that the HPT really is, and understand it for what it is.
James

Postby Renny » Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:36 pm

I'm going to have to take the HPT soon as I'm hoping to regain my ADI ticket.

I've started practicing with the DVD software that was recommended somewhere on here. First impressions are that it is a bit "staged" and only treats develping hazards, not potential hazards. I was clicking at points where I anticipated there was potential for a hazard to develop, not only the "actual hazards".
Renny
MM0KOZ
MSA Scrutineer (Note: Any comments posted here are my own views and not those of the MSA)
BMW 118d Sport Image
Land Rover Discoveryhttp://www.disco3.co.uk
Lotus Elise S2 http://www.scottishelises.com

Renny

Postby fozz » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:54 am

Trust me the actual test is nowhere near that hard.I did it a couple of months ago and did not even bother with the practice cd bsm gave me.I just turned up watched the tuturial and took the test.In the actual test you are allowed a silly amount of mouse clicks-probaly 30-50 i would guess.I clicked more or less every time i saw a bend or sign in the distane and got mostly 4s and 5s.As Somebody else commented treat it as a computer game.Also i would say your understanding of how it works is 100% correct ( i think)
fozz

Postby ROG » Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:06 pm

I think the link below might answer a few questions
http://www.advanced-driving.co.uk/bb/vi ... highlight=
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby fungus » Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:02 pm

Treat it like a computor game and you will probably do ok. But if like me youre not into computor games, you'll probably struggle. Had to take mine twice to retain my ADI licence.

Nigel.
fungus

Postby zerocool » Fri May 16, 2008 7:39 pm

James wrote:Here I will show you point 5 - the point at which the hazard starts.

This example is a bit unfair to me. The layby is obviously a hazard, but not a developing one. The car that emerges at the end of the hazard and cuts in front of you at point 1, is surely the hazard being assessed. So why does point 5 come at a time when the hazard is physically not visible? Here is the hazard at point 1 just as it starts to cut in...

to be honest just passed my LGV Theory and anything other than the offical DSA material i would not trust ,i kept on scoring zero on the unoffical cd rom, but now passed. pointer click for the hazard and when the situation changes and then keep clicking for every hazard.
zerocool

Postby jbsportstech » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:03 pm

My partner is currently taking her theory and the hazard preception test is all about learning when they want you to click rather than click for the hazard it is a waste of time in my opinion and I failed it several times when attemping it. You need to click when you see the hazard and the as it develops. Not much good if you follow roadcraft as you will be looking alot further ahead than the test expects best just practice and ony look a car length in front as if you click to early the test will not register it.
Regards James

To the average driver 'safe' is not having accidents. To an advanced driver 'safe' is not being vulnerable to an accident.
jbsportstech

Postby ROG » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:47 pm

I'm glad that the DSA have said that the HPT is NOT working - said to me by Rosemary Thew during the Leicester DSA consultation meeting.
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby Sean » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:04 pm

Angus wrote:Second, instead of clicking the mouse, have touch sensitive screens and touch the area of the percieved hazard.

On that point, at the Middlesbrough Theory Test Center they do have touch sensitive screens, although most people from what I saw were using the mouse to create "flag-points". I'd also just like to say that although they are touch screens - where you touch on the screen doesn't matter as you'd get the same score.
Sean

Previous

Return to Learner Driver Forum