After passing...

For discussion of topics relating to the Driving Standards Agency Learner Test (DSA L Test) and contribution by ADI's (Approved Driving Instructors)

Postby martine » Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:36 pm

So my daughter passed her L-test last week (2nd attempt) with a rather spiffing '2 minors' (hurray).

She's cautious and well aware of the her high risk but I was wondering what are the classic incidents that new drivers tend to have?
Last edited by martine on Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby AlistairL » Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:09 pm

martine wrote:So my daughter passed her L-test last week (2nd attempt) with a rather spiffing '2 minors' (hurray).

She's cautious and well aware of the her high risk but I was wondering what are the classic incidents that new drivers tend to have?
Running into the back of cars that have stopped suddenly? The young lady who had passed her test two weeks before did that to me. It was wet and she skidded. I'd admittedly stopped quicker than I normally would - bad observations on my part :cry:
AlistairL, from Scotland.
AlistairL

Postby jasonh » Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:56 pm

From my own experiences, a few minor shunts in car parks because I was too confident about my ability to manoeuvre in tight spaces.
IAM April 2008
jasonh

Postby ROG » Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:15 pm

martine wrote:So my daughter passed her L-test last week (2nd attempt) with a rather spiffing '2 minors' (hurray).

Not maintaining a really good safe gap so that they give themselves more time to assess a situation
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby Rick » Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:57 pm

Not appreciating weather conditions, be it rain, fog snow etc... the last 2 being conditions they would not have experienced in lessons or test conditions. Some of the youngsters I have witnessed lately in wet conditions have scared me to death, and I dont tend to hang about :wink: I do think that the bulletproof attitude of the young is something that needs to be worked on, I know it existed when I was young.. (all those years ago) and is maybe even more prevelent now with ABS TCS etc... plus all the other safety systems. Unfortunately when all these fail you are still as dead. So to go back to the original question, if I were you I would try to go out with your daughter in some inclement weather and see how she handles it, mainly distance from the vehicle ahead and corner speeds for starters. I don't think you will have long to wait for some wet weather! :roll:
Rick

Postby Big Err » Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:26 am

Just had a look at the last five years stats here and it shows that night time driving (later than 8pm) at weekends is when most of the fatal and serious crashes involving young drivers occurs.

There is nothing conclusive about weather/road surface conditions but the collision factor 'loss of control' rates high (standard phrase used in stats19 for anyone who crashes....).

Eric
Big Err

Postby 7db » Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:17 am

Too fast into hazards.

Like everyone else.
7db

Postby jont » Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:42 am

Consider a skid pan/skid avoidance course? I know it would be better to avoid those situations, but if you do get it wrong, much better knowing what to do than panicking. SWMBO seemed to learn a fair bit from Castle Combe's course a couple of years ago: http://www.combe-events.co.uk/skidpan.htm

Jon
jont

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:01 pm

I remember with me it was shoulder checks on motorways and DC - an unfamiliar environment just after the DSA test.
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Renny » Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:05 pm

Lack of experience is the biggest problem usually, coupled with feeling of invincibility :roll:

Has she enrolled on Pass-Plus yet?
Renny
MM0KOZ
MSA Scrutineer (Note: Any comments posted here are my own views and not those of the MSA)
BMW 118d Sport Image
Land Rover Discoveryhttp://www.disco3.co.uk
Lotus Elise S2 http://www.scottishelises.com

Renny

Postby martine » Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:12 pm

Thanks everyone for the advice - many said driving too close or not appreciating the weather - it makes sense - certainly in my case I had my first crash by skidding in the rain into the car in front when it stopped unexpectedly :roll:

Big Err: I think the higher accident rate at night is more a case of youngster (male) driving to/from the pub/club and just losing it with their friends from over-confidence/showing off or simply drunk. This just wouldn't apply to my daughter as if anything, she's over cautious and refuses to drink anything when driving.

Chriskay: I think she needs to drive for a year or 2 before doing any 'advanced' stuff even with you on an ADUK day :wink:

Jont: Skidpan? maybe although like a lot of people who aren't into driving as such (means to an end rather than actually enjoying it)...I think the idea of a skid-pan session would frighten her at the moment but something for the future maybe.

It's a good idea to take her out in some more unusual situations (bad weather, busy m-ways, dark county lanes etc) but first she's needs to do a pass-plus (or my version of it!).

Thanks again chaps.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby crr003 » Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:01 pm

martine wrote:It's a good idea to take her out in some more unusual situations (bad weather, busy m-ways, dark county lanes etc) but first she's needs to do a pass-plus (or my version of it!).

I thought that was Pass Plus?
crr003

Postby martine » Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:35 pm

crr003 wrote:I thought that was Pass Plus?

Yes I suppose it is except it's limited to 6 hours and therefore can't guarantee to cover all weathers, all traffic conditions etc. whereas I'm free (sound like a 1970s sit-com) and can grab the opportunities when they arise!
martine

Postby waremark » Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:51 pm

Your daughter starts well ahead of the game by being - female.

The greatest danger for young people arises when their confidence level increases ahead of their skill level. For most, it seems to take longer for their hazard assessment to improve to the level of an experienced driver than for them to become confident. So, even if she is lacking in confidence now, I think it is vital to emphasise the dangers and the consequences of getting things wrong.

I have two young drivers. Both accepted that passing the test was only a milestone towards learning to drive, and went through various stages afterwards - driving a familiar route on their own, ditto with a sibling as passenger, motorway and other situations with me, and longer journeys with me.

My eldest at 19 has now done about 20,000 miles without adverse incidents. He was happy to accept input from me for a few months after passing. During that period I felt that he drove very well, but he took much longer to react to the unexpected than we would - presumably because the basis driving tasks took up more of the available brainpower. He also did Pass Plus and had a day out with a highly rated professional.

More recently, he has become defensive and does not like to drive me 'because I know you are feeling critical, even if you don't say anything'. So - take advantage of this period when she is happy to accept your further teaching.

My second only passed six months ago - I don't say very much to him at the moment because I feel he just needs to build up his confidence (sorry if I seem to be contradicting myself here) and his experience.
waremark

Postby TripleS » Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:45 pm

martine wrote:Chriskay: I think she needs to drive for a year or 2 before doing any 'advanced' stuff even with you on an ADUK day :wink:

I'm always available to provide examples of non-advanced stuff - that still works reasonably well - or so I like to think, in the face of the chorus of denials. :lol:

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Next

Return to Learner Driver Forum