After passing...

For discussion of topics relating to the Driving Standards Agency Learner Test (DSA L Test) and contribution by ADI's (Approved Driving Instructors)

Postby martine » Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:33 pm

TripleS wrote:I'm always available to provide examples of non-advanced stuff - that still works reasonably well - or so I like to think, in the face of the chorus of denials. :lol:

Best wishes all,
Dave.

Now that is a scary thought, Dave - you and my 19 year old daughter in the same car... (only joking...well...ish).
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby martine » Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:40 pm

Thanks hpcdriver good advice. Also I take the point about young drivers having different attitudes and capability and confiidence and needing different mentoring to suit...certainly true of my eldest who's just passed and 2nd eldest who's now just 17.

Thanks again.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby Susie » Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:06 pm

Sound advice from y'all - just to add my tuppence worth Martin...

I'm sure, knowing Steve Haley as we do, that you'll have gven her a copy of Mind Driving. Those three words, Speed linked to Space and Surprise should be her gospel while she endeavours to build up those vital miles of
experience - hopefully incident-free! Building up a bank of knowledge in the real world can be scary for a new driver, so encourage her to chat about the drives she does alone. When you're in the car with her, ask her if she would like constructive feedback or prefer you to keep quiet and maybe comment afterwards. The only problem with that is the ability to retain aspects of the drive for later reflection. We can remember (just about)where or when we made a poor or late decision for example but for the young person just moving from the pony in the paddock to a thoroughbred on a cross-country course, there's a tendency to forget how tight we were holding the reins in a particular situation or whether we gave the right signals to our steed and the other runners in the field.

Ask her, (if she's willing) to chat informally about what she's doing and why. Where is she looking and what does she see? It's all about encouraging her to think, disseminate information and start learning how to use that information wisely.

Congratulations to her. She should be fine, as long as she sees having your support in a positive way.

ATB
Susie
Susie

Postby TripleS » Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:35 pm

martine wrote:
TripleS wrote:I'm always available to provide examples of non-advanced stuff - that still works reasonably well - or so I like to think, in the face of the chorus of denials. :lol:

Best wishes all,
Dave.

Now that is a scary thought, Dave - you and my 19 year old daughter in the same car... (only joking...well...ish).

Oh gosh, 19 eh? How lovely.

Eileen and I started courting when we were 19, and now we're both 67, and still together, despite certain difficulties. :roll:

Anyhow, I hope you'll give your daughter my very best wishes, as safe and enjoyable driving by the youngsters is something I really do care about.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby martine » Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:43 pm

TripleS wrote:Eileen and I started courting when we were 19, and now we're both 67...

Funny that :wink:

Thanks for your comments Dave.

As I said she's not one to enthuse about driving as such but she does already appreciate the freedom a car brings.

My 2nd eldest on the other hand loves cars and she's likely to be a different kettle of fish (who keeps fish in kettles anyway?). Beth has just got her provisional...god help the good people of Bristol...
martine

Postby TripleS » Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:54 pm

martine wrote:
TripleS wrote:Eileen and I started courting when we were 19, and now we're both 67...

Funny that :wink:

Thanks for your comments Dave.

As I said she's not one to enthuse about driving as such but she does already appreciate the freedom a car brings.

My 2nd eldest on the other hand loves cars and she's likely to be a different kettle of fish (who keeps fish in kettles anyway?). Beth has just got her provisional...god help the good people of Bristol...

Hmm. Both being 19 on 10 October 1959 (at least I remember anniversaries) doesn't necessarily mean we'll both be 67 on 2 August 2007 - but in fact we are.

It's a bit odd in both cases. I have the same birthday as a certain M Schumacher - or rather he has the same birthday as me - cos I was here first, and Eileen is a March hare.

Birthday greetings will now be expected from you lot on the due dates. Expensive presents are, of course, optional. :lol:

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby martine » Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:03 pm

TripleS wrote:Birthday greetings will now be expected from you lot on the due dates. Expensive presents are, of course, optional. :lol:

I can do you a nice IAM 'Skill for Life' voucher (might even get a discount since it's you). :wink:
martine

Postby TripleS » Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:25 pm

martine wrote:
TripleS wrote:Birthday greetings will now be expected from you lot on the due dates. Expensive presents are, of course, optional. :lol:

I can do you a nice IAM 'Skill for Life' voucher (might even get a discount since it's you). :wink:

Wot, you mean I might get it for £75 as I'm under 25 - mental age that is, according to the Stressed One. Actually, by his reckoning my mental age is a lot lower than 25. :(

In any case, you may recall that I'm already an IAM member (sort of) - solidly ensconced in the Associate role - and destined to remain there, until I decide it's no longer worth renewing my subscription. It seems pretty clear now that I'm never going to acquire the bit of paper that tells me I'm an Advanced driver. Oh the shame of it; an inferior being for evermore. :lol:

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby martine » Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:59 am

Yes Dave I do recall and that your experience was less than pleasant...just thought you might be tempted have another go just to shut up bores like me.
martine

Postby TripleS » Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:10 am

martine wrote:Yes Dave I do recall and that your experience was less than pleasant...just thought you might be tempted have another go just to shut up bores like me.

After my initial drive with the Observer (with whom I got seriously at cross purposes) I had one more run out with the Chief Observer a few weeks later, and I was on my best behaviour for that one, as a result of which he told me that a little practice in applying the system more consistently would enable me to take the test with confidence - but I haven't pursued it.

I really don't think it's worth it, Martin. It would simply mean that I would be submitting myself to the ordeal of a test, which I wouldn't want to fail, and for what purpose? Driving to 'the system' does not come naturally to me, so it would be a matter of putting on an act for the test, and this would not be maintained in my subsequent driving - so what's the point?

There is no way I'm ever going to be IAM material - let alone reach any higher standard - but I'm not overly concerned about that. I very much enjoy our discussions here, and the drives I have with people from time to time, so as and when I become aware of something that I think I can use to advantage, I try to make the appropriate adjustments to my style.

My only reservation about participating in ADUK driving days is the point I've referred to a few times - and only partially jokingly - namely, my tendency to do various things that really should be avoided by those trying to attain IAM or RoSPA standards; but I think that's enough of my waffle for now. :roll:

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby mph999 » Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:38 am

Chriskay: I think she needs to drive for a year or 2 before doing any 'advanced' stuff even with you on an ADUK day

Don't forget, it's te first couple f years when incidents are most likely to happen.

Further tuition at this stage need not be full blown advanced, just "defensive".

Is she aware of the limit point - young prople + trees are a common interface.

Martin
mph999

Postby Luke » Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:36 am

I don't agree at all, I'm afraid.

I passed my bike test and gained road experience, then passed the car test, then passed the police 'advanced' car test and very soon after passing the car test...

I think it can always be a benefit, further teaching;- experience at your own hands can lead to too many bad habits being formed.

I have not yet had a crash, and I drive in a 'spirited' way very often.

Education is more important than experience, IMHO.

BTW...If this makes no sense, I have had a good few pints.....
Luke

Postby martine » Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:41 am

Actually chaps (Chriskay, Luke, mph999) I can see your points...I think perhaps a little 'mild' advanced guidance soon might be a good idea after all.

At the moment driving is very much a novelty and she's doing very short journeys along routes she's familiar with. Forgetting 'advanced' for the moment the biggest issues she has at are worrying about where to park (avoiding multi-storey car parks), getting lost and needs some m-way experience and even things like how to fill up with fuel.

Theses are all planned in my own 'pass-plus' so perhaps in a month or so's time I'll introduce some 'proper' advanced stuff - bearing in mind she's already doing some of it like pull/push, acceleration sense, 'tyres on tarmac', following distance etc. Observation and anticipation needs to be improved (don't we all!).

Thanks for your comments everyone - 'tis good stuff.
martine

Postby TripleS » Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:38 pm

Luke wrote:I don't agree at all, I'm afraid.

I passed my bike test and gained road experience, then passed the car test, then passed the police 'advanced' car test and very soon after passing the car test...

I think it can always be a benefit, further teaching;- experience at your own hands can lead to too many bad habits being formed.

I have not yet had a crash, and I drive in a 'spirited' way very often.

Education is more important than experience, IMHO.

BTW...If this makes no sense, I have had a good few pints.....

I must agree with you. You're quite right. It makes no sense. HTH. :wink:

A sensible blend of education and experience is probably best, but don't dismiss the benefits of experience on its own. IMHO some of these supposed 'bad habits' are not worth bothering about.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Previous

Return to Learner Driver Forum