Longer Theory Test

For discussion of topics relating to the Driving Standards Agency Learner Test (DSA L Test) and contribution by ADI's (Approved Driving Instructors)

Postby Susie » Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:15 am

Rather than cluttering the tangentially meandering thread on raising the driving age, I thought I'd post the latest news from the Driving Standards Agency separately. I can't link directly as the news comes from a subscriber digest
(DSA) Driving up theory test pass marks for road safety

Learner drivers and motorcyclists will face more theory test questions from early September when the pass marks are driven up to improve road safety.

The Driving Standards Agency (DSA) says the increase in the number of multiple choice questions in the tests will help broaden candidates' knowledge and lead to higher standards.

Jill Lewis, DSA's Head of Lifelong Learning said: "It is important that candidates prepare thoroughly for their theory tests in the same way they would any other exam. Increasing the number of questions means that the test ensures comprehensive coverage of the whole syllabus."

At the moment both car and motorcycle bike tests involve 35 questions and candidates must get 30 right. But from 3 September the number of questions will rise to 50 with a pass score of 43. The time allowed for the multiple choice part of the theory tests will increase to 57 minutes and fees will also increase.

The updated version of the Official theory test book and CD Rom is now available in shops, or by clicking on the official bookstore button on the DSA website (http://www.dsa.gov.uk).

All car and motorcycle candidates calling or going online to book theory tests which will fall either on or after 3 September will be made aware of the increased length and cost of the test. Candidates phoning the call centre will be able to hear a recorded message whilst waiting to be connected and the booking confirmation letter which goes out to candidates will be updated to explain these changes.

I'm slightly bemused by the title attributed to Jill Lewis. What does she do as head of 'Lifelong Learning' ? After people have passed their test, normally they have no further dealings with the DSA :?

Susie
Susie

Postby Gromit37 » Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:37 am

Well, obviously everybody regularly reads the Highway Code or takes an 'Advanced' and rings up asking her questions. Like, "How can I drink a drink, read a book and talk on the phone all at the same time whilst driving at 80mph?"

:shock:
Gromit37

Postby Gromit37 » Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:47 pm

Are the DSA involved in adult education? Although saying that, at the Riverside Festival in Nottingham the other weekend, there was a marquee with some catchy DSA slogan emblazened across the top of the tent referred to driving safety and what looked like HP tests running on TFT monitors.

GCSE in driving anybody? :lol:
Gromit37

Postby Renny » Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:40 am

Gromit37 wrote:GCSE in driving anybody? :lol:

That would not be such a bad idea. Teaching essentail skills should start at school.
Renny
MM0KOZ
MSA Scrutineer (Note: Any comments posted here are my own views and not those of the MSA)
BMW 118d Sport Image
Land Rover Discoveryhttp://www.disco3.co.uk
Lotus Elise S2 http://www.scottishelises.com

Renny

Postby Susie » Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:28 pm

Renny, I couldn't agree more. The problem is - as I identified on p1 of the "Raising age to 18" thread - that there is no room within the framework of the curriculum which has been stated (by the previous Education Minister) as being "150% full". I think he needs a few maths lessons himself :shock:

The DSA think the sticking plaster approach will staunch the flow - what difference will the inclusion of a few more questions make to the overall safety of our new drivers?

On a slightly related topic, the inclusion of Cranfield University's representative on the "Roadcraft Committee" will undoubtedly lead to the inclusion of psychometric testing - initially for students of RC but latterly I'm sure it will be adopted as part of the DSA test. As anyone with a modicum of intelligence can be 'trained' to give the 'right' answers, this will not be a true test/computer demonstration of the correct 'attitude' but will certainly fill the coffers of the DSA and the 'owners' of the testing software.

Hey ho :cry:
S
Susie

Postby TripleS » Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:13 pm

StressedDave wrote:
Susie wrote:I'm slightly bemused by the title attributed to Jill Lewis. What does she do as head of 'Lifelong Learning' ? After people have passed their test, normally they have no further dealings with the DSA :?

A'noon boss,

'Lifelong Learning' is DfES-speak for 'adult ejucayshun', which means anybody over the age of 16.

Is that actual, or mental? Cos I seem to 'ave a bit of a problem there, as you well know. :lol:

I keep taking the tablets but they're not making much difference. It appears to be incurable.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby crr003 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:42 pm

Susie wrote:The DSA think the sticking plaster approach will staunch the flow - what difference will the inclusion of a few more questions make to the overall safety of our new drivers?

But the current Theory Test/ADI Part 1 - isn't it just a question of memorizing the answers to a fixed set of questions?
So being able to answer a few more shouldn't be an issue?
Further; several questions are basically the same, just worded slightly differently?
The options for some answers are so silly it makes the multiple choice relatively easy.

(Not that I've done either! But I have studied it a bit).
crr003

Postby Gromit37 » Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:41 am

Renny wrote:
Gromit37 wrote:GCSE in driving anybody? :lol:

That would not be such a bad idea. Teaching essentail skills should start at school.

Whilst it is a nice thought, unfortunately, there are already too many people who leave school not being able to add/subtract/divide/multiply and can hardly spell their own name. Driving would probably have to replace home economics or some such. I wouldn't place much faith in a GCSE of any kind.

Ian
Gromit37

Postby ROG » Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:06 pm

In my opinion, if the school leaving age and the age to which you can take your car test are both at 18 years of age then I do not see a problem in incorporating driving into the 16 to 18 slot - ok, it would be nice to start earlier but there is so much that has to be packed in already, that I do not see that being possible.
The theory test could be taken prior to the 18 birthday with, maybe, on-road lessons after 17 done in school hours when, I believe, a lot of ADIs have holes in their time slots. Could have 2 or 3 trainees to 1 instructor in a car at a time maybe?
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby zerocool » Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:56 pm

Susie wrote:Rather than cluttering the tangentially meandering thread on raising the driving age, I thought I'd post the latest news from the Driving Standards Agency separately. I can't link directly as the news comes from a subscriber digest
(DSA) Driving up theory test pass marks for road safety

Learner drivers and motorcyclists will face more theory test questions from early September when the pass marks are driven up to improve road safety.

The Driving Standards Agency (DSA) says the increase in the number of multiple choice questions in the tests will help broaden candidates' knowledge and lead to higher standards.

Jill Lewis, DSA's Head of Lifelong Learning said: "It is important that candidates prepare thoroughly for their theory tests in the same way they would any other exam. Increasing the number of questions means that the test ensures comprehensive coverage of the whole syllabus."

At the moment both car and motorcycle bike tests involve 35 questions and candidates must get 30 right. But from 3 September the number of questions will rise to 50 with a pass score of 43. The time allowed for the multiple choice part of the theory tests will increase to 57 minutes and fees will also increase.

The updated version of the Official theory test book and CD Rom is now available in shops, or by clicking on the official bookstore button on the DSA website (http://www.dsa.gov.uk).

All car and motorcycle candidates calling or going online to book theory tests which will fall either on or after 3 September will be made aware of the increased length and cost of the test. Candidates phoning the call centre will be able to hear a recorded message whilst waiting to be connected and the booking confirmation letter which goes out to candidates will be updated to explain these changes.

I'm slightly bemused by the title attributed to Jill Lewis. What does she do as head of 'Lifelong Learning' ? After people have passed their test, normally they have no further dealings with the DSA :?

Susie

I think Also the questions are going up for LGV theory from 60 to 100 and hazard perception from 14 to 19 correct me anyone if i'am wrong. but idon't know when.!!!
zerocool

Postby ROG » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:10 pm

I think Also the questions are going up for LGV theory from 60 to 100 and hazard perception from 14 to 19 correct me anyone if i'am wrong. but idon't know when.!!!

July this year and they are being seperated with a fee for each one so if you fail one then you do not have to retake both
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby waremark » Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:28 pm

Can you clarify ROG? Are you referring only to LGV tests or to car tests as well?
waremark

Postby Renny » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:27 am

LGV and PCV It is part of the Driver CPC for vocational driving licences
Renny
MM0KOZ
MSA Scrutineer (Note: Any comments posted here are my own views and not those of the MSA)
BMW 118d Sport Image
Land Rover Discoveryhttp://www.disco3.co.uk
Lotus Elise S2 http://www.scottishelises.com

Renny

Return to Learner Driver Forum