Questions relating to taking the DSA practical test

For discussion of topics relating to the Driving Standards Agency Learner Test (DSA L Test) and contribution by ADI's (Approved Driving Instructors)

Postby Why_Aye » Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:17 pm

Good evening all. I have been reading many of the posts here for a couple of weeks now, and have a few questions relating to the DSA test.

First, though, a little background about me that is all relative to this post. I have been driving, on and off, for about ten years and took my last DSA test in circa 1999. Needless to say, I failed it. I didn't gain many minor points and the failing point was not going to have failed me until I indicated too early when approaching the test centre on the last junction. Annoying to have failed in the last thirty seconds or so of the test! That's life - we live and learn. My attitude now is that probably the fail was quite clearly deserved, though at the time I of course could not quite see what the problem was!

Fast forward to now, and I have decided to take a test. I passed the theory test reasonably well (34 and 65, I think. I'm not sure where the details are - they are not with the certificate). My next practical test is booked for about four weeks' time.

Originally, I was taught by an ADI and the only reason I lost contact with him was that I needed to retake the theory test after my last practical test (in 1999) due to the certificate expiring (I took a long break from driving just over a year after taking the theory test). Recently, I have had some refresher lessons from a driving instructor (who I think now should be an ADI, as his last exam was to be in about August). These were very helpful and I feel ready for taking the exam.

For the future, I aim to become a certified advanced driver - of which organisation, I don't know. I possibly won't limit it to one.

However, the first hurdle is the DSA test, and the first question relates to this and advanced technique.

1) I have been enjoying the technique of the much debated avoidance of BGOL. This has made my driving much smoother (passenger feedback was very positive) as not only are the various elements of my driving smoother, it is necessarily much better planned. If I avoid BGOL on my DSA test, is it likely to go against me? (In other words, is it possible for it to be misinterpreted as momentarily not having control of the vehicle during the gear change?)

2) Similar question to above. In avoiding BGOL, I have found entries onto RABs where I don't need to stop a lot easier to execute. I find that it's much easier to slot safely onto the RAB, gives plenty of warning to the vehicle(s) behind if decide I do need to stop at the line and matches my speed to the cars I would be behind once on the RAB before I actually get there. Again, should I avoid doing this for the DSA test?

3) Not related to the above. My understanding is that the speed limits for loose chippings on the road, etc, are advisory and not compulsory. If it is quite obvious that the loose chippings are no longer there, would I still be expected to maintain the advisory speed limit on the test or would I be expected to use the prescribed limit for the road?

4) I realise that a commentary is not required on the standard DSA test. I would be interested, though, to give one during my test and receive feedback from the examiner if he/she is willing. Any thoughts on this idea? During my drive yesterday, I did maintain a commentary for some of the drive and I thought that my driving was improved due to this.

Many thanks for your time.
David

Advanced driver of 2008?
Why_Aye

Postby James » Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:55 pm

Why_Aye wrote:
1) I have been enjoying the technique of the much debated avoidance of BGOL. This has made my driving much smoother (passenger feedback was very positive) as not only are the various elements of my driving smoother, it is necessarily much better planned. If I avoid BGOL on my DSA test, is it likely to go against me? (In other words, is it possible for it to be misinterpreted as momentarily not having control of the vehicle during the gear change?)

No it shouldnt go against you so long as it's application is smooth and succinct.
Why_Aye wrote:2) Similar question to above. In avoiding BGOL, I have found entries onto RABs where I don't need to stop a lot easier to execute. I find that it's much easier to slot safely onto the RAB, gives plenty of warning to the vehicle(s) behind if decide I do need to stop at the line and matches my speed to the cars I would be behind once on the RAB before I actually get there. Again, should I avoid doing this for the DSA test?

Yes, DSA is not testing to Advanced Standard. You should generally come to a stop unless the RAB is clear. What might be good technique in general is not necessarily what the DSA test looks for.
Why_Aye wrote:3) Not related to the above. My understanding is that the speed limits for loose chippings on the road, etc, are advisory and not compulsory. If it is quite obvious that the loose chippings are no longer there, would I still be expected to maintain the advisory speed limit on the test or would I be expected to use the prescribed limit for the road?

I woul stick to the speed limits posted as prescribed, unless the circumstances are so that it would REALLY benefit to go slower.
Why_Aye wrote:4) I realise that a commentary is not required on the standard DSA test. I would be interested, though, to give one during my test and receive feedback from the examiner if he/she is willing. Any thoughts on this idea? During my drive yesterday, I did maintain a commentary for some of the drive and I thought that my driving was improved due to this.

Nice thought but I would avoid it. Let your driving speak for itself. Don't take on too much and don't try to impress.
James

Postby ROG » Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:02 pm

Why_Aye wrote:

Avoid BGOL
2) Similar question to above. In avoiding BGOL, I have found entries onto RABs where I don't need to stop a lot easier to execute. I find that it's much easier to slot safely onto the RAB, gives plenty of warning to the vehicle(s) behind if decide I do need to stop at the line and matches my speed to the cars I would be behind once on the RAB before I actually get there. Again, should I avoid doing this for the DSA test?

NO
3) Not related to the above. My understanding is that the speed limits for loose chippings on the road, etc, are advisory and not compulsory. If it is quite obvious that the loose chippings are no longer there, would I still be expected to maintain the advisory speed limit on the test or would I be expected to use the prescribed limit for the road?

DSA want ADVISORY adhered to - daft if clear but thats what they want.
4) I realise that a commentary is not required on the standard DSA test. I would be interested, though, to give one during my test and receive feedback from the examiner if he/she is willing. Any thoughts on this idea? During my drive yesterday, I did maintain a commentary for some of the drive and I thought that my driving was improved due to this.

DO commentary.
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby Angus » Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:28 pm

Just remember one thing.

As far as the examiner is concerned, you are a perfect driver unless you demonstrate otherwise.

Good luck with the test & welcone to the forum

Angus
Angus

Postby crr003 » Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:43 pm

ROG wrote:

Really? That's just silly. CC leave signs out all the time. Drive to the conditions.
crr003

Postby Renny » Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:08 am

Agree with Rog. Especially regarding the commentary, it doesn't need to be a full commentary, but let the examiner know what you see and are thinking about, especially in any "awkward/developing" situation.

Oh and Good Luck.
Renny
MM0KOZ
MSA Scrutineer (Note: Any comments posted here are my own views and not those of the MSA)
BMW 118d Sport Image
Land Rover Discoveryhttp://www.disco3.co.uk
Lotus Elise S2 http://www.scottishelises.com

Renny

Postby nuster100 » Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:08 am

On my test, I explained what my thoughts were. I think this helped as the examiner could see my train of thought.

Jay
"Learn from the mistakes of others, you dont have time to make them all yourself"

Rospa South West and Taunton Group Chairman 2007-2009
nuster100

Postby ScoobyChris » Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:19 am

I would discuss the commentary with the examiner before the start of the test - he/she may object to it and prefer to drive in silence. Hopefully they will allow it as it will help to relax you (because you are thinking aloud) as well as justifying any decisions you make. Obviously this could also work the other way and land you in trouble if you make a decision that could have been masked by not highlighting it.....

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby ROG » Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:52 pm

crr003 wrote:
ROG wrote:

Really? That's just silly. CC leave signs out all the time. Drive to the conditions.

This is what the DSA want BUT if you ask the examiner if HE/SHE agrees that the signs are innapropriate then drive to the condidions.
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby crr003 » Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:59 pm

ROG wrote:This is what the DSA want BUT if you ask the examiner if HE/SHE agrees that the signs are innapropriate then drive to the condidions.

That's better!
crr003

Postby James » Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:11 pm

I can see how the odd remark here and there would be useful ina test, but, a full blown advanced style commentary surely won't be of any use. Other than using it for helping your own driving, marks can't be awarded for a commentary. I could also see how some examiners may be concerned that you "had" to commentate in order to drive safely and that perhaps your driving fell by the wayside should you be silent.
James

Postby Why_Aye » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:04 pm

Thanks for your responses - there's quite a bit to think about in the next few weeks. I still don't know what I'll do about a commentary - certainly not a full blown advanced style commentary (I wouldn't be able to do a satisfactory one anyway, having had not AD training). Perhaps just a few of my thought processes would be best, though I'll ask the examiner beforehand what he/she thinks.

Thanks again.
David

Advanced driver of 2008?
Why_Aye

Postby Why_Aye » Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:40 pm

And so I now have a driving license. I took my test today and received three minor error points - two of which were on reverse manouvres and the other one was leaving too little space between me and a parked car. I knew there was nobody in the car and also the width of my vehicle, and it was to avoid getting in the way of someone who was in the wrong anyway!

But - I am quite proud of this result. The minor on the corner reverse was due to taking the engine too close to stalling point (this is me trying on the test to drive economically and not put pressure on the accelerator when reversing slowly).

The other manouvre error I can't remember, but I'm sure I will do in the next two or three days.

So, AD training, here I come!

Many thanks again for your replies in this thread. They were very helpful. I didn't make a commentary in the end, as I thought it unnecessary given the circumstances. I did comment on a few things, eg. what I'd seen and why I was going at a particular pace etc. (school children messing around on the pavement, person attempting to cross the road several yards ahead etc.)
David

Advanced driver of 2008?
Why_Aye

Postby Rick » Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:23 am

Well done... :D
Rick

Postby waremark » Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:29 am

Excellent result.
waremark

Next

Return to Learner Driver Forum