Practical exams driving routes

For discussion of topics relating to the Driving Standards Agency Learner Test (DSA L Test) and contribution by ADI's (Approved Driving Instructors)

Postby tenderfoot » Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:57 pm

is there a website that gives you few driving routes for ilford in essex?

is there a rule of area (i.e. 5 mile radius from the dsa center)

anyone here knows what roads ilford-dsa use for their practical driving exams?

my exams is getting nearer.. hope anyone can help

thanks in advance :?
tenderfoot

Postby Darren » Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:12 pm

Hi tenderfoot,

Welcome to the forum.

Past experience tells me that learning something specifically for a test will put it in short term memory, and likely to be forgotten afterwards (such as much of the stuff in the highway code that most people crash learn then forget)

Learning a route is not the best way to become a good driver, also, if you got a route you didn't know...would you be more nervous? would you panic?

How about try to revise the core skills your instructor has taught you? This is likely to give you a higher chance at passing, make you a better driver overall and potentially help you build your no claims bonus afterwards!

Darren
Darren

Postby tenderfoot » Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:45 pm

Thanks!
of course, core skills are important, i just thought, it is better to develop it whist familiarizing myself on the routes. Then, practicing some more on other routes.

I am not a new driver, been driving (on other country) for more than 15 years, ive learned the UK rules, and added driving skills from my UK instructor, its just that I think, after driving around with my instructor for quite awhile, and that now I have changed my schedule and place of exam, Id like to get familiar with roads in the vicinity first. before pursuing other roads.

Hope someone have an answer. Ive heared about the website, but i havent seen it yet :?
Last edited by tenderfoot on Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tenderfoot

Postby ROG » Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:50 pm

ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby Gareth » Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:14 am

If you tell your driving instructor where the test will be conducted, they will often give practice in that area if there are any particularly difficult junctions on any of the test routes. Driving instructors very quickly get to know about the local test routes, so your existing one or perhaps another more conveniently located may be your best bet.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby tenderfoot » Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:18 pm

thanks ROG and gareth! :D
tenderfoot

Return to Learner Driver Forum