Career change - becoming a Driving Instructor

For discussion of topics relating to the Driving Standards Agency Learner Test (DSA L Test) and contribution by ADI's (Approved Driving Instructors)

Postby stv » Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:56 am

After 20 years sitting behind a desk i am considering a change of career and training to be a driving instructor, and would welcome any advice from any instructors on here.

What is the best way to go about training and what do i need to consider when looking at training courses?

Does any one have experience of companies in Leicester/Rutland area?

Thanks in advance

Steve
stv

Postby ROG » Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:16 am

Does any one have experience of companies in Leicester/Rutland area?

This question may be relevant - are you a member of the IAM Leicester group?
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby Rick » Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:33 pm

Join up here ask away and you will get realistic advice from real ADI's PDI's.
Rick

Postby vonhosen » Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:41 pm

As opposed to pretend ADI's here ?
Any views expressed are mine & mine alone.
I do not represent my employer or these forums.
vonhosen

Postby Rick » Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:15 pm

No need to be touchy Von.. what I meant was that the ADI forum is mostly full of ADI's who teach nnew pupils unlike the majority of ADI's who frequent here. I am an ADI but have never taught a new student and much like yourself no doubt I dont have to get my own work, pay franchises etc. Just thought it may be better for the question to be asked there. :roll:
Rick

Postby crr003 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:29 pm

Rick wrote:what I meant was that the ADI forum is mostly full of ADI's who teach nnew pupils unlike the majority of ADI's who frequent here.

That's what I thought you meant!
DIA is good too - I used to read threads about pupils who wouldn't pay or whose personal hygene wasn't the best......
Sounded like a tough way to make a living with learners.
crr003

Postby Rick » Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:06 pm

I don't think it is anything like the ads portray it, £30K a year and all that, yes in theory you can do it, but figure into it car, insurance, fuel franchise, advertising etc etc it is not quite as simple as that. I know a few ADI's whom I met through doing my training and they like the job on the whole, but it is not easy.
Rick

Postby daz6215 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:43 pm

here s the link to the DIA http://www.driving.org/index.html
http://www.driving.org/SmartTraining.html
http://www.learn-to-drive-dvd.com/
http://forum.driving-schools-directory.co.uk/
Also if you are thinking of doing it i would recommend asking qualified ADIs who are the good local trainers, word of mouth goes a long way,try and find someone who is ORDIT registered and get feedback from the trainees they have had, and maybe consider using a few different trainers to get a broader spectrum of teaching methods which you can apply when teaching yourself, when i trained i used 3 different people and this helped me immensely on the part 3 because if 1 of them misses out something the other probably won't. :lol:
ADI
Rospa Gold
LGV 1
daz6215

Postby TripleS » Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:54 pm

As I understand it, becoming an ADI (Approved Driving Instructor) is not an easy matter, and by no means is it a short straight road to great wealth. I know somebody who went in for that and reached the stage where he started teaching leaners. Initially it all seemed quite good, but unfortunately he failed Part 3 of the examinations, which he said meant that he could continue teaching for a further six months, but would then have to pass part 3 within that period, otherwise it all came to nought. In the event he went for a different career option and is now doing very well at that. From what I've heard, even if one passes all the examinations and becomes fully approved, the income level can be a bit uncertain, and it might take a lot of hours per week to make the money.

On the other hand if ADI means Advanced Driving Instructor this is clearly a very different matter, and a pretty good licence to print fivers at a cracking production rate, or so I've heard. :lol: Some hold the view that it's money for old rope - but I wouldn't know about that. I think it's best if I keep quiet; I get into enough trouble as it is. :(

If I were you, I would take a little while to absorb all the relevant information from those in the know, but if you decide to go ahead I wish you every success. I can see that it would be a very satisfying career if you're keen on promoting good driving standards and getting new drivers off to a good start.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby ROG » Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:19 pm

On the other hand if ADI means Advanced Driving Instructor

You might be suprised to find out just how many members of the public think that is what the initials ADI stand for :roll:
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby daz6215 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:43 pm

you'll make a living but will not get rich! lol Unless you run a fleet of cars i suppose :wink:
daz6215

Postby TripleS » Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:53 pm

daz6215 wrote:you'll make a living but will not get rich! lol Unless you run a fleet of cars i suppose :wink:

Oh, so you're Bill Plant. That'll be five quid please.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby daz6215 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:29 pm

5 :lol: quid Try 18 mate, Dont need Bill plant ive got my own work thx!
daz6215

Postby TripleS » Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:47 pm

daz6215 wrote:5 :lol: quid Try 18 mate, Dont need Bill plant ive got my own work thx!

Oh so have I, but all this hoovering and dusting and cleaning windows and washing up and sorting the fire out....good grief....a woman's work is never done etc....and still the pay's not that good.

OTOH there's always the fringe benefits. I wonder if I'll get lucky tonight, :roll: but by then I'll be too clapped out to claim my reward. :(

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby daz6215 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:27 pm

TripleS wrote:
daz6215 wrote:5 :lol: quid Try 18 mate, Dont need Bill plant ive got my own work thx!

Oh so have I, but all this hoovering and dusting and cleaning windows and washing up and sorting the fire out....good grief....a woman's work is never done etc....and still the pay's not that good.

OTOH there's always the fringe benefits. I wonder if I'll get lucky tonight, :roll: but by then I'll be too clapped out to claim my reward. :(

Best wishes all,
Dave.

People pay good money for house cleaners Dave Especially if your naked! give it a try! that will pay some good fringe benefits! :lol: :lol:
daz6215

Next

Return to Learner Driver Forum