Career change - becoming a Driving Instructor

For discussion of topics relating to the Driving Standards Agency Learner Test (DSA L Test) and contribution by ADI's (Approved Driving Instructors)

Postby TripleS » Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:39 pm

daz6215 wrote:
TripleS wrote:
daz6215 wrote:5 :lol: quid Try 18 mate, Dont need Bill plant ive got my own work thx!

Oh so have I, but all this hoovering and dusting and cleaning windows and washing up and sorting the fire out....good grief....a woman's work is never done etc....and still the pay's not that good.

OTOH there's always the fringe benefits. I wonder if I'll get lucky tonight, :roll: but by then I'll be too clapped out to claim my reward. :(

Best wishes all,
Dave.

People pay good money for house cleaners Dave Especially if your naked! give it a try! that will pay some good fringe benefits! :lol: :lol:

I can think of no better way of bringing nature into disrepute. For the purpose of going naked I regret to say my best days are behind me.

That's not all that's behind me either; there's also a bit too much in front! Comfort is now the thing, rather than speed.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby daz6215 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:26 pm

well said lol :lol:
daz6215

Postby vonhosen » Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:32 pm

Rick wrote:No need to be touchy Von.. what I meant was that the ADI forum is mostly full of ADI's who teach nnew pupils unlike the majority of ADI's who frequent here. I am an ADI but have never taught a new student and much like yourself no doubt I dont have to get my own work, pay franchises etc. Just thought it may be better for the question to be asked there. :roll:

Oh I wasn't being precious or touchy about it :lol:

In fact I definitely consider myself a pretend ADI, I was just wondering how the other ADIs may take it.
Myself I have no contact at all with learners & as with regard to the ADI stuff I only have any contact with the DSA come check test time.
Any views expressed are mine & mine alone.
I do not represent my employer or these forums.
vonhosen

Postby Rick » Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:42 pm

Much like myself then Von, check test only, in fact I wont even be bothering with my next one as I no longer work in that section.

And if any real or pretend ADI's are offended please accept my apologies, I think you can see what I was trying to say. :lol:
Rick

Postby TripleS » Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:12 am

daz6215 wrote:well said lol :lol:

I wasn't in too much of a hurry to receive agreement from you. :(

After all, I could be lying, again. :lol:

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:24 am

Is there such a thing as an Advanced Driving Instructor?
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby ROG » Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:28 am

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:Is there such a thing as an Advanced Driving Instructor?

I suppose, yes. If an ADI is also an observer then there is no reason, as far as I can see, that they could not charge for tuition in advanced driving. ?This would mean that they are an advanced driving instructor in my view.
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby crr003 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:19 pm

ROG wrote:I suppose, yes. If an ADI is also an observer then there is no reason, as far as I can see, that they could not charge for tuition in advanced driving. ?This would mean that they are an advanced driving instructor in my view.

http://www.iam.org.uk/Looking+for+a+Driving+Instructor/

:shock:
crr003

Postby stv » Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:20 pm

Thanks for the quick replies.

I do realise the hours would be long and include weekends/evenings, and don't for one minute expect the 30-35k often quoted in adverts.

ROG - i am not currently a member of Leicester IAM group, though i was in the early 1990's.

daz6215/Rick - thanks for the links, will take a look.

Steve
stv

Postby ROG » Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:29 pm

stv wrote:ROG - i am not currently a member of Leicester IAM group, though i was in the early 1990's.
Steve

Only mentioned it as there are a lot of current and ex ADIs in the group some of which are full time and some part time to fit in with F/T job as they say it is not worth doing as a F/T career.
Might be worth contacting the Group http://www.leicesteradvancedmotorist.net/
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby jmaccyd » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:04 pm

I was a Driving Instructor in the early 90s, before I left the trade with several thoughts about how to make it work. First of all, evening and weekend working in not optional, you will have to work them to get a reasonable amount of work. The adverts that say 'choose your own working hours' are actually a half truth because most of your customers will want evenings/weekends. Building up a base of work is difficult and will take some time, so be prepared for that. If you are going to work for a school, research it and find one you think is a well run buisness and stick with them. The longer you are at one place the more customer loyalty you will gather and the more chance you will attract more work. Indeed, one successful instructor I knew in the trade obtained all his work through recommendations to such an extent he even had a waiting list of pupils. So be a good instructor, hand out cards when pupils pass their test to build up a 'full book' of work. Be prepared for what I used to call 'bity' days, ie two lessons 9-11, two hour gap, a lesson, then a gap and so on- used to drive me nuts as you would perhaps do a 15 hour day but only have ten lessons actual work! Also you are dealing with the public! Most people are good but you get plenty of people who will just not turn up/forget lessons. The really successful guy I mentioned earlier had the whip hand becuase he was in demand, people messed him about he would drop them - best of luck
jmaccyd

Postby driversdomainuk » Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:34 pm

too many big companies with glossy ads giving too many people unrealistic expectations about the job and salary...

Hard work and sometimes really hateful (so I have been told :D )
http://www.driversdomainuk.com
RoADAR Gold
IAM Special Assessment (87%)
IAM
DSA ADI
MSA Race Licence
driversdomainuk

Postby Darren » Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:55 am

I would approach the decision like any potential business setup. Determine how much you need to earn, then break it down to finally work out how much per hour you need to charge to cover overheads and take into account realistically how many hours a week you would have to work to meet your required income.

If you need to earn 30k pa, taking into account 4 weeks leave (so for example 48 working weeks). Before tax you need to bring in £625 per week. If your actually instructing for 40 hours a week, you'll be charging £15.65 per hour (gross). But then I haven't taken into account any maintenance/fuel/insurance/public liability etc. whic you would need to build on top.

The reality is you may only instruct for 25 to 30 hours a week if you can get the business, which pushes your rates up to meet your target earnings, which makes you less competetive. In which case then you need to make a decision on the realistic level of earning you can gain.

Many people who contact ADUK to be included in the driving instructors directory now don't instruct learners as there seems to be some views that the market is somewhat saturated, and they concentrate on advanced work as higher margins are achievable and the market is less saturated with people who can provide the level required.

Having said that, there are many people that make an adequate living from driving instruction and who really do enjoy the work. The bottom line is always try to do something you enjoy, at least then if you don't earn as much as you like, you'll at least enjoy the work! :-)
Darren

Postby Dashboard » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:27 pm

There are some great bits of advice on here, I am thinking it could be worth becoming a driving instructor myself. I found this site that gives some good pointers that might be useful. I know this is a bit late, but I came across here looking for advice so someone else might! The website I found was http://www.instructor-training-uk.co.uk and has some good advice and points out bits to look for. Hopefully this will help someone. Thanks for the other bits of advice too, I guess it's down to me if the course is right as I've seen so many different opinions and lots to consider!
Dashboard

Postby crr003 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:36 pm

Holy Thread Ressurection Batman!

Three years! :shock:
crr003

PreviousNext

Return to Learner Driver Forum