MY BLOG :D

For discussion of topics relating to the Driving Standards Agency Learner Test (DSA L Test) and contribution by ADI's (Approved Driving Instructors)

Postby shellk15 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:13 am

Hi everyone!

I started to learn to drive a couple of months ago and it's all going fairly well!

I am writing a blog about my experiences for my uni degree, it's got all about my trials and tribulations as well as loads of other stuff that you may find useful!

Please feel free to check it out and comment, any advice, opinions or criticism is welcome!

Thanks a lot

Michelle

http://shellplates.blogspot.com/
shellk15

Postby Darren » Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:54 am

Hi Michelle

Welcome to the forum. Can I ask what degree you are taking?

Darren
Darren

Postby vonhosen » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:08 am

Darren wrote:Hi Michelle

Welcome to the forum. Can I ask what degree you are taking?

Darren

Check the provided link :)
Any views expressed are mine & mine alone.
I do not represent my employer or these forums.
vonhosen

Postby Darren » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:01 am

"I'm writing this blog as part of an Online Journalism module on my degree course." fair point... ;-)
Darren

Postby shellk15 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:27 am

Hi,

Yes as it says on my blog I am studying Broadcast Journalism, I'm just coming to the end of my 2nd year.
shellk15

Postby Gareth » Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:52 pm

Interesting experiences - it's often hard to remember what it was like learning to drive after one has been driving for some years.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby TripleS » Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:21 pm

Gareth wrote:Interesting experiences - it's often hard to remember what it was like learning to drive after one has been driving for some years.

I can remember that making a gearchange and continuing to steer at the same time looked like an impossible task at that stage.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby michael769 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:57 pm

I can still vividly remember my shock,amazement and glee when I made the car actually move for the first time!
michael769

Postby James » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:51 pm

Welcome!
James

Postby shellk15 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:25 pm

Cor yeh...I keep gettin told off because I look down to change gear and then end up on the other side of the road! It feels like the most difficult thing in the world!

And changing gear whilst going round a round-about.....

Michelle

http://www.shellplates.blogspot.com/
shellk15

Postby TripleS » Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:41 pm

shellk15 wrote:Cor yeh...I keep gettin told off because I look down to change gear and then end up on the other side of the road! It feels like the most difficult thing in the world!

And changing gear whilst going round a round-about.....

Michelle

http://www.shellplates.blogspot.com/

It's funny you should mention gear changes on roundabouts. I do a lot of that kind of thing. :cool:

Heh, this morning I had to take a lady for her second visit to hospital in Middlesbrough, and soon after we started the journey she suddenly said to me:

"Do you know, of all the people I've ever been driven by, you are the one I feel most relaxed and comfortable with." Don't people say some nice things at times!

<Thinks:> I wonder if my friend dth will be pacified by this. :P

Right, I have to nip out now in search of a hat two sizes larger. :roll:

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby Gromit37 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:19 pm

Bear in mind that when Dave learned to drive, a man used to walk ahead of him with a red flag. I believe Dave ran over a large number of them before he mastered the art of braking... :wink:
Gromit37

Postby TripleS » Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:38 pm

Gromit37 wrote:Bear in mind that when Dave learned to drive, a man used to walk ahead of him with a red flag. I believe Dave ran over a large number of them before he mastered the art of braking... :wink:

Yes, it was all very unfortunate, and no matter how often it happened I was never really happy about it, but at least in those days motorists were not punished so eagerly as they are now.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby theyoungen » Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:59 pm

It is something of a small world...

Michelle, I see from your blog that you're studying at Staffs. Did you know that Staffs is the home of ADUK's first university Advanced Driving Society? It's based in Stafford, but most of the members come from Stoke.

Unless you pass your test within the next few weeks, I'm afraid I will have graduated by the time you are able to start advanced driving, however if you have access to a car and would like some practice runs either before or after your test, feel free to give me a shout. tim[at]staffsadvanceddriving.co.uk

Congratulations on joining this site, even before you've passed your test. There's a lot of good advice to be picked up here.

All the best,

Tim
L-Test @ 17,
RoSPA Gold @ 18,
Group Chairman @ 19.
HPC @ 20

www.staffsadvanceddriving.co.uk
theyoungen

Postby The Thinker » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:15 am

Bear in mind that when Dave learned to drive, a man used to walk ahead of him with a red flag. I believe Dave ran over a large number of them before he mastered the art of braking...

But he learned from them so they wern't entirely in vain. :D
The Thinker

Next

Return to Learner Driver Forum