Fleet training

For discussion of topics relating to the Driving Standards Agency Learner Test (DSA L Test) and contribution by ADI's (Approved Driving Instructors)

Postby daz6215 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:29 pm

Hi all was hoping someone may be able to help, i am thinking of doing a fleet driver training qualification probably going down the Rospa Diploma route and then registering with the DSA on the fleet trainers register, here is my question is it worth doing? is there a market for it? i don't want to shell out on the diploma if there is no market in this area, does anyone have any experience and could give me some advice.

ADI
Rospa Gold
LGV 1
daz6215

Postby ROG » Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:44 am

:idea: :idea: Why not give IAM FLEET a call :?: :)
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby daz6215 » Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:44 am

thx rog i suppose that could be an option! :)
daz6215

Postby Flexibase » Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:02 pm

As a Fleet Trainer, with over 12 years' experience working as a self-employed agent for four companies, I can recommend this as an enjoyable and mentally rewarding experience.

However, income can be less than for "L" driver tuition which probably involves less travelling.

You will need to have passed an Advanced Driving Test and I recommend that you contact various Fleet Training companies, most of whom offer training courses leading to the DSA Registered Fleet Trainer qualification (DSA RFT) to compare their course costs and contents, which should include both classroom presentation and on-road coaching skills.

You will first need an DSA ADI qualification and, although the DSA RFT is currently legally voluntary, most training companies require it.

I have worked for and can recommend the following national companies:

IAM Fleet, based in London: www.iam.org.uk/iamfleet
Driving Services, based in The Wirral, Cheshire www.drivingservices.com

I have also worked for:
ATC driver Training, based in Essex www.driver-training.co.uk
Defensive Driver Training, based in Stourbridge http://www.ddtgroup.com/

There are many others, e.g.
Drive & Survive at Banbury http://www.drivesurvive.co.uk/
DriveTech at Crawley http://www.drivetech.co.uk/

Please feel free to contact me directly if you require fiether details.

David Wornham
Flexibase Services
David@flexibase.org.uk
Advanced Training for Driver Enjoyment and Safety
Advanced Driving/Motorcycling and Instructor/Observer/Tutor Training CDs
www.flexibase.org.uk
David Wornham
Flexibase

Postby daz6215 » Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:14 pm

Many thanks David :D
daz6215

Postby Lynne » Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:57 am

Thanks David again from me for that info I am in Essex I will go and look when I get a chance :)

Daz I did the RoSPA Dip 3 weeks ago. I decided last year to go with RoSPA as I already had the Gold and wanted to follow it through.

I was lucky I had a good assessor (retired TC) when I did my RoSPA and got him to take me out for a run about a month before I went to make sure I was still ok. I didn't struggle too much with the driving just the trainer got me on a few things on the course which was great and of course I learnt more too :D

If your commentary is up to scratch and as a trainer I guess you are on top of fault identifying/analysis/remedial you shouldn't have too much of a problem. You'll need to prepare a 10 min presentation (topic will be given to you in advance..READ the 'brief' in the training manual too and don't cram in too much).

Obvously you'll need to know H/Code and R/craft inside out for the two parts of the theory test.

Don't get me wrong. It IS intense and by Friday (exam day) you feel worn out. Everyone is there to help you though.

Is it worth it? Well I will need to go out and find work. I hear there's not a lot of female trainers out there. I will apply for my fleet badge when my paperwork comes through.

If you want anymore info let me know..

Lynne
ADI
RoSPA Diploma in Advanced Driving Instruction

Thankyou for being courteous to horses and riders :)
Lynne

Postby daz6215 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:10 pm

Thanks Lynne i think i may give it a go also! :D
Regards
Darren
daz6215

Postby Flexibase » Thu May 01, 2008 4:55 pm

Ref. Lynne's:

> I am in Essex I will go and look when I get a chance.

Understood, but don't be misled into thinking that your local company is necessarily the best for finding you work as they all cover the UK and some even further afield.

My experience with the (small) Essex company was that they paid trainers a little higher than the others and, probably because thay charge the companies more, they lost one large contract to another training company, for whom I also worked.

I therefore found myself continuing with the training for that large client company, wearing a different uniform and being paid less!

David Wornham
Flexibase Services
David@flexibase.org.uk
Advanced Training for Driver Enjoyment and Safety
Advanced Driving/Motorcycling and Instructor/Observer/Tutor Training CDs
www.flexibase.org.uk
Flexibase

Postby Lynne » Thu May 01, 2008 10:29 pm

Hi David,

Yes, thanks for the tip, understand what you are saying. I've not had a chance to look at anything yet need to get onto it in the next month or so.

Lynne
ADI
RoSPA Diploma in Advanced Driving Instruction

Thankyou for being courteous to horses and riders :)
Lynne

Postby driversdomainuk » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:33 am

I have heard lots of positive things about the RoSPA Dip.

I have recently got gold and so am looking to do this sometime in the future.
http://www.driversdomainuk.com
RoADAR Gold
IAM Special Assessment (87%)
IAM
DSA ADI
MSA Race Licence
driversdomainuk

Return to Learner Driver Forum