LGV Funding Help!!!!!

For discussion of topics relating to the Driving Standards Agency Learner Test (DSA L Test) and contribution by ADI's (Approved Driving Instructors)

Postby zerocool » Tue May 06, 2008 2:48 pm

Hi i'am ready for lgv training is there anywere where i can get help with my funding as it will cost £800 for my nearest centre,
zerocool

Postby ROG » Tue May 06, 2008 7:38 pm

zerocool wrote:Hi i'am ready for lgv training is there anywere where i can get help with my funding as it will cost £800 for my nearest centre,

See that flying pig or that winning lottery ticket you have in your hand :!:

You will get the same response if you ask on the newbies forum of TrucknetUK where many have asked the same question before.
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby daz6215 » Tue May 06, 2008 7:48 pm

I'm wondering why you want to do it? have you seen how poor the wages are for driving LGV's! Honestly you don't get paid enough for the amount of hours that you will be expected to put in, and for the responsibility that is required for driving an artic around also, when i worked on them my day would normally start at 3 am and continue til about 3 or 4 in the afternoon and then it was time to go to bed and do it all again! my advice would be if you are wanting to do it for a living be prepared for long unsocial hours with no reward from your employer, rubbish pay to add to that busy roads and then needing to get experience because most employer's wont entertain you unless you have it, catch 22 I'm afraid!
I saw the light and got out of it! :wink:
ADI
Rospa Gold
LGV 1
daz6215

Postby Rick » Tue May 06, 2008 7:58 pm

I don't think all the pay is bad. I have a lot of mates who drive tankers around here (I know tankers is probably the highest paid) they have no other qualifications other than their LGV and ADR tickets, which are hardly rocket science, most if not all of them earn £40k plus. Even general haulage drivers are on £30k plus (personally i think they deserve much more than tanker drivers)

It's not a job i'd like even though i have my LGV but for very little in the way of qualifications there is a good potential for earninngs in the right place. Although you would need some experience under your belt before being able to get a tanker/car transporter job.
Rick

Postby daz6215 » Tue May 06, 2008 8:11 pm

That's it though it depends where in the country you are, i worked for a very large national logistics company and top end was 30k doing continuous night shift, which is good money no disputing that, the class 1 jobs in the north east average about £8 per hour which i think is disgracful i would rather drive a van for £7 an hour with less responsibility, most of the high earners have to be away from home all week come back for the weekend and are off away again for the week, as far as tankers go yes they are the best paid generally but believe me it is a closed shop trying to get in to it, in my experience you have to know someone or be very lucky, there is no way they would employ a newbie driver on say a petrol tanker or some other dangerous substance and then there's the cost of getting the ADR on top of your licence with no guarantee of getting a job driving them!
daz6215

Postby Rick » Tue May 06, 2008 8:31 pm

I suppose being near Immingham it is one of the best places to get a driving job, and also on tankers. You are right about the "who you know" part. I also think their days are numbered as they are pricing themselves out of a job when there are Poles etc. who will do it for half that. It's only a matter of time.
Rick

Postby daz6215 » Wed May 07, 2008 7:07 pm

Yeah that was happening where i was working! :cry:
daz6215

Postby driversdomainuk » Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:04 pm

zerocool wrote:Hi i'am ready for lgv training is there anywere where i can get help with my funding as it will cost £800 for my nearest centre,

have you tried typing job or training grant into google..?
http://www.driversdomainuk.com
RoADAR Gold
IAM Special Assessment (87%)
IAM
DSA ADI
MSA Race Licence
driversdomainuk

Postby ianmccully » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:28 pm

ianmccully

Postby MGF » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:37 pm

MGF

Return to Learner Driver Forum