What 'advanced' techniques to include?

For discussion of topics relating to the Driving Standards Agency Learner Test (DSA L Test) and contribution by ADI's (Approved Driving Instructors)

Postby martine » Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:57 pm

My 2nd daughter will be learning to drive soon and I was wondering what 'advanced' techniques I should teach her? I was thinking of extending her obs for instance but probably not including 'straight-lining' :shock:

Seriously, what stuff do you reckon would be sensible to include and what to leave out for the mo?
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby daz6215 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:45 pm

Definitely observations, block changing , acceleration sense is also good to start teaching them. I would definitely stay away from straight lining DONT confuse them and the DSA wont like it, good use of the horn to warn people of your presence i.e hump back bridges etc is also good, and also get them to use INFORMATION, POSITION, SPEED, GEAR don't worry about the acceleration part, get them to do small amounts of commentary i.e get them to tell you what they see and what they are going to do to deal with it, above all raise their awareness and make them take responsibility early! im sure some other people may also have some more ideas hope this helps a bit! :wink:
daz6215

Postby fungus » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:08 pm

Lane discipline. Generaly keep to the centre of your lane. Some change of position is acceptable, but do not go out to the white line for left hand bends.

On approach to roundabouts any exit left of, or at 12 o clock, should be approached in the left hand lane unless road markings dictate otherwise.
Do not use the lane of least resistance just to make better progress.

It would be usefull to buy a copy of The OFFICIAL DSA GUIDE to DRIVING the essential skills. They also publish a book called Helping Learners to Practice -the official DSA guide.

Nigel
ADI car
IAM car
fungus

Postby 7db » Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:29 pm

Why confuse the issue?

No faster than being able to stop in the distance you can see to be clear.

Nothing else. At all. Don't confuse the issue. Teach one thing and one thing only. I remember hearing that phrase for the first time nearly 15 years after I'd passed my test.

Teach her the golden rule in a way that she'll be amazed that noone else would not know it. Everything else flows from that. Her observation and skills can improve later -- instil the basic rule and attitude up front if you can.

Oh and ... *deleted for reasons of good taste*
7db

Postby Flexibase » Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:29 am

The following are extracts from those ever-useful training and reference CDs from http://www.flexibase.freeserve.co.uk/po ... tions.html

Caution: L Drivers & ADIs
This presentation is designed for those aiming for Advanced Driving & Motorcycling Tests.
Some methods included are NOT appropriate for the Driving Standards Agency learner test and the DSA Driving Instructors’ test as new drivers have yet to gain the experience to safely vary basic rules.

Examples: [with "clickable" hyperlinks]
Positioning for left bends
Unnecessary signals*
Straightening roundabouts
Entering cross-hatching
Parking alternative
Use of them on these tests would probably result in “driving faults”
[These] symbols are displayed on those sections as a reminder

* Signalling before Passing Stationary or Slow Obstructions
Should you advise signalling before passing parked vehicles, bicycles pedestrians & horses?
Generally not, IF:
able to take an early position
to allow following traffic a view of the obstruction
However, if you may have hidden the problem by approaching a bend or brow of a hill
or by driving a large vehicle or towing a caravan
a signal would be useful to others
This approach is acceptable on L & ADI tests
David Wornham
Flexibase

Postby ROG » Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:47 am

Flexibase wrote:The following are extracts from those ever-useful training and reference CDs from http://www.flexibase.freeserve.co.uk/po ... tions.html

Caution: L Drivers & ADIs
This presentation is designed for those aiming for Advanced Driving & Motorcycling Tests.
Some methods included are NOT appropriate for the Driving Standards Agency learner test and the DSA Driving Instructors’ test as new drivers have yet to gain the experience to safely vary basic rules.

Examples: [with "clickable" hyperlinks]
Positioning for left bends
Unnecessary signals*
Straightening roundabouts
Entering cross-hatching
Parking alternative
Use of them on these tests would probably result in “driving faults”
[These] symbols are displayed on those sections as a reminder

* Signalling before Passing Stationary or Slow Obstructions
Should you advise signalling before passing parked vehicles, bicycles pedestrians & horses?
Generally not, IF:
able to take an early position
to allow following traffic a view of the obstruction
However, if you may have hidden the problem by approaching a bend or brow of a hill
or by driving a large vehicle or towing a caravan
a signal would be useful to others
This approach is acceptable on L & ADI tests

I would like to point out that these are relevant for car tests but not for LGV DSA tests as more fleibility is allowed on many of the above points.
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby ScoobyChris » Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:44 pm

That's a nice succinct list of differences. Can you elaborate on "Parking alternative" for me as I'm struggling to work out what it might refer to? :D

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby jont » Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:00 pm

ScoobyChris wrote:Can you elaborate on "Parking alternative" for me as I'm struggling to work out what it might refer to?

Russ Swift style not recommended for 'L' drivers?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYuRKYGZ9Ss
:lol:

Or maybe it's reversing round a corner to the right (as I was asked on my RoSPA test)
jont

Postby Flexibase » Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:09 pm

Ref:
> Can you elaborate on "Parking alternative" for me as I'm struggling to work out what it might refer to?

Certainly - I thought it may arouse someone's curiosity.

It's a tongue-in-cheek reference to the video clip on the CDs of the Mazda Zoo-Zoom advert. of the young lady performing an otherwise impossible reverse parallel park by driving over a roadworkers' pickup using the scaffolding boards thereon! :lol:
David Wornham
Flexibase

Postby jont » Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:16 pm

Flexibase wrote:It's a tongue-in-cheek reference to the video clip on the CDs of the Mazda Zoo-Zoom advert. of the young lady performing an otherwise impossible reverse parallel park by driving over a roadworkers' pickup using the scaffolding boards thereon! :lol:

If you're bored:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlSeq4Z_eGs
jont

Postby ROG » Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:14 pm

jont wrote:
ScoobyChris wrote:Can you elaborate on "Parking alternative" for me as I'm struggling to work out what it might refer to?

Russ Swift style not recommended for 'L' drivers?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYuRKYGZ9Ss
:lol:

Or maybe it's reversing round a corner to the right (as I was asked on my RoSPA test)

Ah - the commercial corner reverse :D :D :D - much easier to do IMO - but you are on the wrong side of the road to set it up :)
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby driversdomainuk » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:26 am

the best advanced techniques:

1. lots of forward planning and obs
2. understanding other road users/intentions
3. how best to deal with road rage.

Lots more, but these are the ones that spring to mind.
http://www.driversdomainuk.com
RoADAR Gold
IAM Special Assessment (87%)
IAM
DSA ADI
MSA Race Licence
driversdomainuk

Postby robinsamuels » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:11 pm

I wouldn't go as far as to suggest commentary, but I always encourage my learners to talk to themselves when driving. As with commentary, it helps to focus their minds and it can also let the examiner know why they're doing something out of the ordinary, for example slowing because they have seen a potential hazard moving towards their path.

Make sure she parks from a right angle to the parking bay. DSA examiners don't like candidates to swing the car away from the space to lessen the approach angle to the space.
Slow is smooth, smooth is fast. USMC sniper course, as quoted during most driving lessons!

http://www.robinsdriving.co.uk
robinsamuels

Postby ROG » Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:23 am

Make sure she parks from a right angle to the parking bay. DSA examiners don't like candidates to swing the car away from the space to lessen the approach angle to the space.

Why? - when the object is to reverse the car into the bay using the available space - isn't it??
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby fungus » Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:08 pm

Why should bay parking from an angle of less than 90º be a problem,when the DSA in the book,Driving the essential skills, show reversing into a bay from a position representing a virtual straight reverse? Surely the test is to test whether the candidate can carry out the manoeuvre safely, carrying out the necessary observations, good control of the vehicle, reasonable accuracy, and consideration for other road users.

I teach reversing into a bay from 90º and 45º, although I have to say that the Bournemouth and Dorchester test centres that I use do not have parking bays that are used on test.

Nigel ADI
IAM car
fungus

Next

Return to Learner Driver Forum