DSA Examiner Recruitment

For discussion of topics relating to the Driving Standards Agency Learner Test (DSA L Test) and contribution by ADI's (Approved Driving Instructors)

Postby ExadiNigel » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:13 am

My mistake!
Ex - ADI & Fleet Trainer, RoADAR Diploma, National Standards Cycling Instructor, ex- Registered Assessor for BTEC in Driving Science, ex-Member RoADAR & IAM, Plymouth, ex - SAFED registered trainer
ExadiNigel

Postby ROG » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:51 am

Link now works :D :D - 14 pages :!: :!: - I thought some of our threads were long :lol: :lol:

I got the rough jist of the discussion and it comes down to the DSA not recognising skills by others - yet again
They have a closed shop and they are not going to relinquish it :!:

Lets face it, testing a police class 1 driver for part 2, their own driving, is totally stupid.
Also hazard perception - what a joke - are the DSA saying that these expert drivers cannot recognise hazards :?: :?: :shock: :shock:

When will the government impliment a 'levelling' of these driving skills andstop this :?: :?:

Lets take one issue, hazard perception -
DSA HPT would be an NVQ level 2
Police traffic would be NVQ level 4
Civilian advanced and perhaps police response/ambulance/fire would be NVQ level 3

Anyone with a higher level would not need to sit a lower level - simple and sorted.
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby waremark » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:58 am

How can you expect to qualify as an ado to teach others to pass the HPT without demonstrating mastery of the test yourself?

I consider that there are two key issues here. First, the HPT itself is fatally flawed. Second, there should be a totally different qualification for coaching qualified drivers to improve their skills than for teaching learners - or no requirement for any particular qualification at all.
waremark

Postby ROG » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:16 am

waremark wrote:How can you expect to qualify as an ado to teach others to pass the HPT without demonstrating mastery of the test yourself?

How many ADIs actually sit in front of a computer screen and teach the HPT to a learner :?:
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby ExadiNigel » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:19 am

I think I have only ever needed to about twice!

Nigel
Ex - ADI & Fleet Trainer, RoADAR Diploma, National Standards Cycling Instructor, ex- Registered Assessor for BTEC in Driving Science, ex-Member RoADAR & IAM, Plymouth, ex - SAFED registered trainer
ExadiNigel

Postby jbsportstech » Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:20 pm

its like any computer game practice makes perfect.

Is there anything in the adi training that covers hpt teaching ?

In my mind you have to tell people what you might consider is a hazard the dsa do not so don't click when you a see a pedestrian or other roaduser do something that could potentially make you change direction or speed. (Thats what I call a hazard) As the dsa don't want you clicing to much!

Wait until the start to do something silly and then click and teh again when you would basically need to take swerve or stand on the brake, or take any evasive action. This technique seemed to do the trick when I was using a hpt test on my computer. Within a 5 or 6 goes I got the jist and coul pass with a high score as did my partner on her actual.

I didnt do hpt it was theory only on good old paper when I did mine.
Regards James

To the average driver 'safe' is not having accidents. To an advanced driver 'safe' is not being vulnerable to an accident.
jbsportstech

Postby Qatar Man » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Hello Sedgwick, would you mind e-mailing me at mvhorncliff@hotmail.com? Would appreciate it very much. I would like to ask you a couple of things about my experiences of the Examiner application. Thanks.

8)
Qatar Man

Postby daz6215 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:27 pm

waremark wrote: Second, there should be a totally different qualification for coaching qualified drivers to improve their skills than for teaching learners - or no requirement for any particular qualification at all.

There is, it's the fleet register qualifications.
daz6215

Postby MGF » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:44 pm

I think the point is that the fleet qualification is sterile without an ADI qualification (presuming you can do it without being an ADI) and it is claimed some or all of the requirements for ADI are unnecessary for teaching licence holders.
MGF

Postby Gareth » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:59 pm

MGF wrote:and it is claimed some or all of the requirements for ADI are unnecessary for teaching licence holders.

To be fair to the opposing view, the tricky part of becoming an ADI is about demonstrating the ability to teach.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby zadocbrown » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:15 pm

ROG wrote:Lets face it, testing a police class 1 driver for part 2, their own driving, is totally stupid.

I don't agree.

a) Police qualifications don't make you infallible. Standards can slip, and no doubt some 'class 1s' are better than others.
b) A police advanced drive is not necessarily the best drive to be demonstrating to a learner.
zadocbrown

Postby ExadiNigel » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:04 pm

MGF wrote:I think the point is that the fleet qualification is sterile without an ADI qualification (presuming you can do it without being an ADI) and it is claimed some or all of the requirements for ADI are unnecessary for teaching licence holders.

The Fleet badge cannot be held without the ADI badge.

and what is so daft, is if we hold both registrations, if we elect to have a check test for our fleet badge we don't have to do one for the ADI badge!

Since there are many fleet trainers out there who openly admit they would struggle to train a learner I do think both badges should be attainable independent of each other and anyone who holds both should be check tested for both ie 2 check tests.

Nigel
ExadiNigel

Postby ROG » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:56 pm

zadocbrown wrote:
ROG wrote:Lets face it, testing a police class 1 driver for part 2, their own driving, is totally stupid.

I don't agree.

a) Police qualifications don't make you infallible. Standards can slip, and no doubt some 'class 1s' are better than others.
b) A police advanced drive is not necessarily the best drive to be demonstrating to a learner.

So am I to assume that the part 2 drive is not just a test of ones own driving but a test of being able to demonstrate basic driving to a learner :?: :?:
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby ExadiNigel » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:56 pm

The part 2 test is to show that you can drive according to teh DSA syllabus and that you are capable of all aspects that you will later have to teach to learners.

Nigel
ExadiNigel

Postby ROG » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:27 pm

adiNigel wrote:The part 2 test is to show that you can drive according to teh DSA syllabus and that you are capable of all aspects that you will later have to teach to learners.

Nigel

So I therefore assume that the roadcraft style of driving would not be, how shall I say this, appropriate :?:
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
EX LGV instructor
ROG

PreviousNext

Return to Learner Driver Forum