DSA Examiner Recruitment

For discussion of topics relating to the Driving Standards Agency Learner Test (DSA L Test) and contribution by ADI's (Approved Driving Instructors)

Postby ExadiNigel » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:47 am

Probably not. I haven't tested this out on an actual test though. :wink:

Nigel
Ex - ADI & Fleet Trainer, RoADAR Diploma, National Standards Cycling Instructor, ex- Registered Assessor for BTEC in Driving Science, ex-Member RoADAR & IAM, Plymouth, ex - SAFED registered trainer
ExadiNigel

Postby vonhosen » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:58 am

I didn't change my driving much for my part 2. I just consciously avoided straight lining.
Any views expressed are mine & mine alone.
I do not represent my employer or these forums.
vonhosen

Postby ExadiNigel » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:48 am

vonhosen wrote:I didn't change my driving much for my part 2. I just consciously avoided straight lining.

At the end of the day, there isn't a huge gap between the two syllabi.

Nigel
Ex - ADI & Fleet Trainer, RoADAR Diploma, National Standards Cycling Instructor, ex- Registered Assessor for BTEC in Driving Science, ex-Member RoADAR & IAM, Plymouth, ex - SAFED registered trainer
ExadiNigel

Postby ROG » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:34 am

I am now under the impression that the DSA ADI part 2 is really a waste of time for someone with an advanced test pass and the HPT is not necessary to be an ADI either.

I believe the ADI part 1 questions are different to those in the normal theory :?:
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby ExadiNigel » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:56 am

ROG wrote:I am now under the impression that the DSA ADI part 2 is really a waste of time for someone with an advanced test pass and the HPT is not necessary to be an ADI either.

Not really. It is an opportunity for the DSA to see that the candidate knows the DSA syllabus.

Similarly, by passing the HPT it shows that teh ADI has the knowledge to pass on to the client.

ROG wrote:I believe the ADI part 1 questions are different to those in the normal theory :?:

Most of the questions are exactly the same. The ADI question bank has an extra section included - on instructional techniques.

Nigel
ExadiNigel

Postby ROG » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:57 am

adiNigel wrote:
ROG wrote:I am now under the impression that the DSA ADI part 2 is really a waste of time for someone with an advanced test pass and the HPT is not necessary to be an ADI either.

Not really. It is an opportunity for the DSA to see that the candidate knows the DSA syllabus.

Similarly, by passing the HPT it shows that teh ADI has the knowledge to pass on to the client.

ROG wrote:I believe the ADI part 1 questions are different to those in the normal theory :?:

Most of the questions are exactly the same. The ADI question bank has an extra section included - on instructional techniques.

Nigel

If cross accreditation was introduced then the DSA would not need to test for driving if the person has already proven their own driving by passing an advanced test.

It seems that the teaching of learners to pass the HPT is very rare so that would also not need to be taken.

With the questions, it seems that only the extra section needs to be done.

So in conclusion, if cross accreditation was allowed, only the extra questions and part 3 would need to be done if an advanced driver was to take up the ADI route.
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby zadocbrown » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:18 pm

ROG wrote:
So in conclusion, if cross accreditation was allowed, only the extra questions and part 3 would need to be done if an advanced driver was to take up the ADI route.

Ah, but if cross accreditation was allowed; wouldn't the DSA have its nose more firmly embedded in everyone else's pie? Be careful what you wish for!
zadocbrown

Postby Renny » Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:38 am

The DSA wouldn't even accept the pass for ADI Pt1 (HPT, Theory test with instructional techniques Qs) as a pass for the 1st stage of Examiner recruitment. I had to sit the HPT and Theory again.

The 2nd stage of a Driving Assessment is marked to a higher standard than the ADI Pt2, but if I want to continue with ADI route, I'll need to sit the Pt2 ADI exam.

I must admit to kind of giving up on the chance of ever getting a letter inviting me to Cardington... Not sure that the DSA would be "an employer of choice"
Renny
MM0KOZ
MSA Scrutineer (Note: Any comments posted here are my own views and not those of the MSA)
BMW 118d Sport Image
Land Rover Discoveryhttp://www.disco3.co.uk
Lotus Elise S2 http://www.scottishelises.com

Renny

Postby daz6215 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:38 pm

Really i was under the impression that the Examiner test was 6 minors the same as ADI part 2? if it were any harder it would be less wouldn't it?
daz6215

Postby ExadiNigel » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:55 pm

Renny wrote:....The 2nd stage of a Driving Assessment is marked to a higher standard than the ADI Pt2, but if I want to continue with ADI route, I'll need to sit the Pt2 ADI exam....

I think you are wrong in this, perhaps you may have misunderstood something.
ExadiNigel

Postby Renny » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:04 am

Might have, but the route and exercises seemed longer and more complex than when I originally sat Pt2 a good few years ago. My recollection of info from a DSA Senior Examiner was that the Examiner's test was stricter/more complex.

Does the current Pt2 include a session driving using hand signals only? I'm sure it didn't when I did mine.
Renny
MM0KOZ
MSA Scrutineer (Note: Any comments posted here are my own views and not those of the MSA)
BMW 118d Sport Image

Renny

Postby daz6215 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:01 pm

Renny wrote:Might have, but the route and exercises seemed longer and more complex than when I originally sat Pt2 a good few years ago. My recollection of info from a DSA Senior Examiner was that the Examiner's test was stricter/more complex.

Does the current Pt2 include a session driving using hand signals only? I'm sure it didn't when I did mine.

No it doesn't , I was talking to an SE the other day who thought they were a complete waste of time, as far as complexity goes for test routes I'm sure most of that depends on location. At the end of the day a driving error is a driving error i.e right or wrong, they are not going to let a potential instructor away with something if an error was committed but mark down a potential examiner for the same fault. In all fairness the driving is the easy part of becoming an Instructor for most!
daz6215

Postby Renny » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:28 am

Update on Recruitment Process

I just received a letter from the DSA to inform me that as there has been a lower than expected level of vacancies, my application will continue to be held on file until Feb 2010.
Renny
MM0KOZ
BMW 118d Sport Image

Renny

Postby Qatar Man » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:12 am

I also recently received a letter from the DSA, advising me that since the last Driving Examiner recruitment campaign began " we have experienced a reduction in demand for driving tests. This means that there are fewer examiners required than were originally envisaged. We have therefore decided to extend the list by 6 months".

NB: I was not told at the beginning of the recruiting process that, if I had not been placed on a course at Cardington within 12 months, my details would automatically be deleted. To add insult (if I still wanted to become an Examiner) I was told I would have to go through the process again (from the beginning) without any acknowledgement I been through it previously!!

So, it seems I also have to wait - at least until September/October 2009.

For a process that began as far back as October 2007, this seems to be a very odd way to recruit and treat potential examiners. I happen to know that there is a vacancy at my local DTC (just 10 miles away) but this knowledge is of no use to me. If 'they' are not actively recruiting then I have little choice but to sit and wait.

Many people have said to me that I should "give it all up as a bad joke", and "what do you expect, you're dealing with the Civil Service".

I have no wish to teach 'L' drivers anymore, so if the DSA finally decide to delete me (and the many other successful candidates) from their Examiner Recruitment database in September/October 2009 I will seriously look at the Fleet side of the industry. A number of my old chums are very successful Fleet Trainers - they must think I was bonkers for wanting to join the DSA as an Examiner in the first place!

:roll:
Qatar Man

Postby Renny » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:42 pm

I must agree with you about the DSA. I've just moved jobs internally with my current employer and am much happier (and better paid :) ), so even if a vacancy comes up I don't think I will go any further. I also think that teaching novices is not a viable career just now.

I did get a letter from my local IAM group trying to recruit Observers, so may follow that up.
Renny
MM0KOZ
BMW 118d Sport Image

Renny

PreviousNext

Return to Learner Driver Forum