DSA Examiner Recruitment

For discussion of topics relating to the Driving Standards Agency Learner Test (DSA L Test) and contribution by ADI's (Approved Driving Instructors)

Postby Renny » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:51 pm

I must agree with you about the DSA. I've just moved jobs internally with my current employer and am much happier (and better paid :) ), so even if a vacancy comes up I don't think I will go any further. I also think that teaching novices is not a viable career just now.

I did get a letter from my local IAM group trying to recruit Observers, so may follow that up.
Renny
MM0KOZ
MSA Scrutineer (Note: Any comments posted here are my own views and not those of the MSA)
BMW 118d Sport Image
Land Rover Discoveryhttp://www.disco3.co.uk
Lotus Elise S2 http://www.scottishelises.com

Renny

Postby Rodders » Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:09 pm

I am new to this forum and I am looking to become an examiner. I know the DSA site has remained the same for some time, saying they do not anticipate recruitment for the foreseeeable future. Does anyone on here have any further, perhaps inside knowledge? Thanks.
Rodders

Postby Renny » Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:38 pm

Rodders wrote:I am new to this forum and I am looking to become an examiner. I know the DSA site has remained the same for some time, saying they do not anticipate recruitment for the foreseeeable future. Does anyone on here have any further, perhaps inside knowledge? Thanks.

The best I can suggest is keep looking regularly at the website. They do not "advertise" recruitment at all so I was just lucky to look at the right time having missed the previous year. Having said that, it is a very slow process and there seems to be a few of us waiting on being offered a slot at Cardington if any vacancies come up in the region that we've requested. The payscale didn't in any way justify me travelling any significant distance from home to work and as SWMBO is paid a lot more than me, relocation was never going to be an option, so I retricted myself to a small area.

In the meantime, I'd just keep practising your skills, especially the manoeuvers required for the Part 2 test as these are what you will have to complete on the practical test to a reasonably high standard.

Good Luck
Renny
MM0KOZ
MSA Scrutineer (Note: Any comments posted here are my own views and not those of the MSA)
BMW 118d Sport Image

Renny

Postby vannut » Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:24 pm

ROG wrote:Link now works :D :D - 14 pages :!: :!: - I thought some of our threads were long :lol: :lol:

I got the rough jist of the discussion and it comes down to the DSA not recognising skills by others - yet again
They have a closed shop and they are not going to relinquish it :!:

Never a truer word said.
vannut

Postby Qatar Man » Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:34 pm

Renny is correct, keep checking the DSA web site, but be prepared for a very long wait.

Having said that...I'm just wondering about the possibility that you may NOT have to wait for long. I'll tell you why.

I managed to succeed at the recruiting process and was told that I had been successful (by letter). I was further informed that I would remain in the 'successful candidate pool' for a period not exceeding 12 months (from the date of my congratulatory letter). Take a look at my previous posts for the whole story. I have now been waiting 18 months for something to happen (an extension of 6 months was decided upon by the Agency for some reason).

My understanding is that the Civil Service Commissioners policy is to delete anybody/everybody from a 'successful candidate' list after 12 months (normally), to prevent the blocking of fair opportunity for all. In other words, if I am deleted from the data base after 12 months it means the Agency will have to initiate another recruiting campaign (at great expense I'm sure), and necessarily go through the whole long process again!! This is in the interests of 'fairness' to all.

So.....once I have been told I am no longer on the data base (including everybody else on the same list as me, I guess) it means you can expect to see the next recruiting campaign begin. I was told that I would be able to re-apply - but my previous application would not be taken into account. Have no fear, once I have been given the expected bad news, I will post the news on this forum.

If I were you, I would keep a sharp eye on their web site. I don't want to put a dampener on things, but why don't you take a look at the PCS web site? This is the Driving Examiner(s) union web site. It makes worrying reading. :x
Qatar Man

Postby Qatar Man » Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:52 pm

If you're having trouble finding the PCS web site try this...

http://drivingexaminers.org.uk/

Yes, I DO want to become a Driving Examiner but it has so far been the most frustrating process I have experienced in my life. I am stubborn, and I want to see it through.

Although I no longer teach learners, I do have contact with ADIs in a Driving Instructors Association some miles away. The waiting time for the L test at their DTC is now 8 weeks (there is a lack of Driving Examiners in a number of areas, and ADIs are very fed up with the shortage and its knock-on effect). There is a storm brewing.
Qatar Man

Postby ROG » Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:22 am

They may need more examiners to cope with the knock on effect from the introduction of the initial driver cpc for LGV where module 4 is a new practical test held at test centres
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby Renny » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:44 am

ROG wrote:They may need more examiners to cope with the knock on effect from the introduction of the initial driver cpc for LGV where module 4 is a new practical test held at test centres

That was one of the things I was considering Rog. However, they want the Examiners to have been in post for 12 months before they can examine LGV/PCV.
Renny
MM0KOZ
BMW 118d Sport Image

Renny

Postby Russ_H » Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:34 pm

Renny,

I spent many years working for DSA as an examiner. The recruitment process used to be quite well run, but now it seems to be less good.

At one time, it was normal to advertise in driving test centres when there were vacancies. This fell from favour, and now it appears to be down to individuals to contact DSA and express an interest. I'm not sure what the current arrangement is, but there used to be about twenty to twenty-four people on each new entrant course. Thus, if a vacancy occurs at a test centre that you would like to work at, it will not necessarily be filled straightaway. There will be a delay until it is possible to run a full course.

Be patient, and make sure that your name stays on the list of interested parties. If you are able to offer LGV skills, so much the better. It has been known, at least twice in my area in the last few years, for an examiner to be recruited with LGV work in mind. At the end of the examiner's probationary period, they were whisked straight down to Cardington for LGV examiner training.

Like most jobs, it has its ups and downs, but, on the whole, it is not a bad way to earn a living. The hours are not demanding; pay is satisfactory; pension is adequate. The work can be monotonous, of course. You could have some bad luck and end up with a poor or unpleasant line manager, but that could happen in any job.

As part of the selection process, you would need to pass a hazard perception test and a theory test. If you get through those you will be invited for a drive. If you are not familiar with hazard perception tests, it would be a good idea to start work on them now. Many experienced drivers find them hard going, and if you are unsuccessful, your progress will come to a rapid halt.

If you wish to mount a one man road safety campaign, it is likely that you will not fit in with DSA's philosophy. Your job will be to apply the Agency's standards of assessment, not your own. Some new examiners find this difficult.

If you have any further queries, please post, and I'll do my best to answer them.

Regards,

Russ
Russ_H

Postby Renny » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:15 pm

Thanks Russ,

I've already managed to jump through the may hoops including the HPT, Theory, Driving test and interview. Like Qatar Man, it has taken almost 20 months now since I made my initial application. To be honest, if offered a place at Cardington now, even with the lure of LGV examining, I'd probably decline as I'm now in a better post with my current employer.

I do wish I could find the time to contribute to my local groups though.
Renny
MM0KOZ
BMW 118d Sport Image

Renny

Postby daz6215 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:58 pm

Russ thanks for our outing the other day it was much appreciated, if you haven't guessed I'm on spare at cramlington lol :lol:

regards

Darren :D
daz6215

Postby Russ_H » Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:10 pm

Afternoon All,

Renny - hello again. I didn't realise that you were so far through the recruitment process.
Well done for achieving that. It's not easy.

You're going to have a big decision to make when you do get a job offer from DSA. The great
beauty of working for a public sector body like DSA is that it is very safe, and it's likely to supply
you with many years of satisfactory employment.

Darren - my pleasure. I'm glad you enjoyed it. Sorry to hear that you're Cramlington :wink: .

All the best,

Russ
Russ_H

Postby Renny » Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:56 pm

Russ_H wrote: Renny - hello again. I didn't realise that you were so far through the recruitment process.
Well done for achieving that. It's not easy.

You're going to have a big decision to make when you do get a job offer from DSA. The great
beauty of working for a public sector body like DSA is that it is very safe, and it's likely to supply
you with many years of satisfactory employment.

Thanks Russ,
I know what you mean about "Civil Service", I've been with a local authority now for over 10 years and although there are downsides, the advantages of relative job security, pension benefits, decent conditions and pay more than compensate. The DSA was a viable option, when I was going through a bad time in my previous post, but the new post, even though it seems similar is much better and more rewarding on all levels.
Renny
MM0KOZ
BMW 118d Sport Image

Renny

Postby flyboytryboy » Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:59 pm

ROG wrote:I am now under the impression that the DSA ADI part 2 is really a waste of time for someone with an advanced test pass and the HPT is not necessary to be an ADI either.

I believe the ADI part 1 questions are different to those in the normal theory :?:

Many years ago I did my part two, using Advanced driving. Tho I made no mistakes, The examiner failed me. He told me the DSA doesnt like AD and disagree with some of its concepts ie moving out on right hand bends t speed to gain stability and vision. The reason was{ he said} was that there is a huge risk of collision with an on coming vehicle using the same method ie a side swipe. So next test, I got same examiner. I drove to a standard that made me feel less than i consider good. At the end...he said...there...that was much better. I passsed!!! On the day of my first test it was raining hard on the Motorway, so I used the method of dropping back each time someone invaded my gap so i was about four seconds in stead of two second rule. ....He didnt like that either. So on next test I hammered in down the 3rd lane of the Motorway.....He liked that progress better. So My advice is...dont Use AD system on ur DSA Part two
flyboytryboy

Postby Renny » Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:12 pm

flyboytryboy wrote: So My advice is...dont Use AD system on ur DSA Part two

I have to disagree. I used "The System", as many of us will try to, but modified, or restrained, my positioning towards the extremities of the road. To acheive a pass at the driving test for the examiner selection, you have to be able to drive to their rules, that does not mean that you can't use AD tecniques, just that you may have to temper them.

I did get a minor for excessive speed into a pair of tightening bends :oops: The Astra was not as stable or comfotable as the Fabia would have been :)
Renny
MM0KOZ
BMW 118d Sport Image

Renny

PreviousNext

Return to Learner Driver Forum