Where to go next?

For discussion of topics relating to the Driving Standards Agency Learner Test (DSA L Test) and contribution by ADI's (Approved Driving Instructors)

Postby Robserver » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:55 pm

I have been doing one session a week rather than fortnightly because it keeps the associate moving along and maintains their interest although not usually a problem. The problem with fortnightly drives is that if a drive is missed going a month can prove 'costly' and the associate can disappear. Sometimes it can take more than one drive to sort out a 'problem'. I always try and get my associate to at least test level so if on test they have a blip they have hopefully done enough! If their standard does drop they should still be ok.Most usually go at least 4 months.

The maximum I have on my 'books' at any time is two. Like so many in my group (Bath) I do have a life outside,my family would not be too happy! It is a question of balance.
In the beginning was the word and the word was ROADCRAFT
Robserver

Postby ROG » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:31 am

Robserver wrote:I have been doing one session a week rather than fortnightly because it keeps the associate moving along and maintains their interest although not usually a problem. The problem with fortnightly drives is that if a drive is missed going a month can prove 'costly' and the associate can disappear.

In the 10+ years and 80+ associates I've been observing on a 4 weekly basis for each associate, I have never had an associate 'disappear' :)

The change in their driving is very prominent if they have been practicing, which is the method that is recommended by the IAM - after all, that is why this is not an 'instructional' course but a self taught one with 'help & advise' from observers.

The IAM observer guide suggests about 6 runs on average and to have those runs spread apart so that it give the associate time to practice.

I'm glad you system has the end result but I honestly feel that your time could be better used to advise more associates within the same timeframe.

I sometimes have over 10 associates but the 4 weekly drive method allows me to do this very comfortably.
Our group also has triplicate self carbonating run sheets - one for associate, one for observer & one for the group observer co-ordinator. This means that if an observer is unable to do the runs for whatever reason, all the info can be passed onto another observer.

We did a trial a couple of years ago where we tried the two week method but the results were not as good.
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby ScoobyChris » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:56 am

ROG wrote:We did a trial a couple of years ago where we tried the two week method but the results were not as good.

My personal feeling is that pace should largely be dictated by the associate and someone who learns quickly has more capacity to master skills in a smaller timeframe. I'd certainly be frustrated if I was being "held back" and having to wait 3 more weeks for the next stage. Others might appreciate the longer time to allow things to sink in but I think the danger of that is that while the seeds are planted they might practise and develop it incorrectly which could impeded their progress.

The police seem to manage quite well with a 3 week intensive course ;)

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby crr003 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:47 am

ScoobyChris wrote:The police seem to manage quite well with a 3 week intensive course

Or you can buy the SfL fast track version which takes a day:

"This can be either two half days (recommended, in order to give some time for practice in-between), or one full day. "

Only £320.
crr003

Previous

Return to Learner Driver Forum