What to do when you cant shift gears fast enough

For discussion of topics relating to the Driving Standards Agency Learner Test (DSA L Test) and contribution by ADI's (Approved Driving Instructors)

Postby ScoobyChris » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:28 am

In the diesels I've driven I didn't find a difference, although I suspect that the wave of torque which you land on when short-shifting might give the impression it's quicker :)

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby The Thinker » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:31 pm

What are peoples views on moving into first gear while the car is still moving.

The situation I'm thinking about is approaching a roundabout where vision is obstructed and you don't get an uninterrupted view until you are about to join.
The Thinker

Postby fungus » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:00 pm

If your speed is low enough and you don't need to stop, then there's no reason why not. I use a rolling 1st at give way junctions where you only get a full view when you are virtually at the line. I would say however, don't engage 1st untill the steering is set.

Nigel ADI
IAM trainee observer
fungus

Postby TripleS » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:39 am

The Thinker wrote:What are peoples views on moving into first gear while the car is still moving.

The situation I'm thinking about is approaching a roundabout where vision is obstructed and you don't get an uninterrupted view until you are about to join.

The 406 HDi seems good for engaging 1st gear while on the move. At a speed of about 5 mph (or a very fast walking pace) I simply declutch and engage the gear. This corresponds to idling speed in 1st gear. I find this better than using 2nd gear and using clutch slip.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby ROG » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:05 am

1st is the only gear where I BGOL and I do it a lot especially when approaching a give way and the speed has got to less than 10 mph - gives me an advantage every time. :D

BGOL at under 10 mph - no safety issues :D
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby TripleS » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:32 am

ROG wrote:1st is the only gear where I BGOL and I do it a lot especially when approaching a give way and the speed has got to less than 10 mph - gives me an advantage every time. :D

BGOL at under 10 mph - no safety issues :D

I don't find there are any safety issues with BGOL at speeds above or below 10 mph, or using BGOL with gears higher than 1st, and I don't feel the need to have the steering set either. Sorry, Nigel. :P

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby fungus » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:15 am

Dave,

Appoliges accepted. I agree with you. I can brake gear overlap perfectly smoothly. I generaly don't. But in situations where I have a vehicle following closely, or when going down hill and wishing to turn into a junction, where to separate would cause the vehicle to pick up speed, I do.

With reference to having the steering set when taking a rolling 1st. I am refering in particular to learners when turning left, who will invariably lose position, usualy running wide if they have to steer at the same time. This then means that they will exit wide in the face of possible oncoming traffic, and have more work to do to correct their position.

Nigel ADI
IAM trainee observer
fungus

Postby ROG » Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:12 pm

fungus wrote:But in situations where I have a vehicle following closely, or when going down hill and wishing to turn into a junction, where to separate would cause the vehicle to pick up speed, I do.

How is it that I have never had to use BGOL in either of those circumstances - I just plan early then brake earlier and deeper :? :? :?
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby zadocbrown » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:27 pm

I find many cars appreciate a double de-clutch going into 1st at anything more than a crawl.
zadocbrown

Postby fungus » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:54 pm

ROG wrote,

How is it that I have never had to use BGOL in either of those circumstances - I just plan early then brake earlier and deeper

The engine management on my Ibiza TDI does not allow the revs to drop low enough when going down hill. If you try to hold the brakes until the road speed is low enough and then make a gear change without rev matching, the engine management forces the revs up. As you come off the brakes the car lurches forward, making for an uncomfortable gear change. When on the flat it is not a problem.

One of our local IAM groups senior observers, who is a retired Police class1, and also ex Police car and bike instructor, commented on this when he drove the car. He seemed to think this was a common problem on modern turbo diesels.

In the second circumstance, I BGOL if someone has been tailgating for some time, and is likely to become anoyed by what they might interpret as excesively early slowing.

Nigel ADI
IAM trainee observer
fungus

Postby ROG » Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:08 am

I have the IBIZA 1.4 sport and that does the same - but the gear change is still smooth - I find that slightly over braking does the trick so that the revs allow the smooth change for the speed.

I'll admit that a bit of progress is lost in order not to BGOL.
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Previous

Return to Learner Driver Forum